Join our zoo community

what is behind the scenes in zoo

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by ahling023, 21 Sep 2011.

1. ahling023

ahling023 New Member

Hi everyone , i am ah ling , connie aged 13 this year . Singaporean

I am a animal lover , since small , i love to keep pets such as rabbit , hamster , cats .

i am new in this zoochat . i do not whether is there any same topics that i posted .

if dont mind , can i ask you all a question , prefer any zookeeper answer there .

eg , where will the animal be locked / confined when there is bad weather such as thunderstorm , raining heavily , snow and etc . and when the zookeeper is cleaning the animal that is dangerous , where will they locked the animal in . what is the places / building called . and where will the animal sleep at night .

thanks you . hope you all can help me on this question.

and some on .

got any zoo that is similar to singapore zoo ( open concept zoo ). i have visited singapore zoo many time and i feel kind of bored already .

2. headkeeper

headkeeper Member

Hello ah loni,
    what you ask is a very general question, and the answers would be different depending on what animals and which zoo you are asking about.
    As a general rule animals have indoor and outdoor areas that they can choose to go between themselves in bad weather, but what it is called is different for each animal. For example for big cats and bears it would be called a den, for birds it would be called nesting boxes, for zebras and giraffes it would be called stables etc. etc.
    Normally dangerous animals are locked outside while there den is cleaned, then locked in the den while their outside area is cleaned.
    At night animals are usually locked away into their inside area for security.
    Hope this helps!

3. ahling023

ahling023 New Member

hi is it again , i want to ask beside this zoo have " tunnel for the animal to move to another area of the zoo . which other zoo also have this . if i remember correctly . that is one primate / monkey also have this kind of tunnel . btw what is the correct for this " tunnel "

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  4. Gforrestersmith

Gforrestersmith Well-Known Member

I had went behind the scenes at Point Defiance Zoo before.

5. ungulate nerd

ungulate nerd Well-Known Member

I went Behind the scenes at the San Diego Wild Animal Park as a gift for my high school graduation

6. ungulate nerd

This is behind the scenes elephant care at the santa barbara zoo, the zoo comes up with great techniques to keep its elephants happy and enriched, i found this footage very interesting, i hope you guys find it interesting also, i even made a thread about this particular video and santa barbara zoos elephant care
    here it is

http://www.zoochat.com/2/behind-scenes-elephant-care-santa-barbara-287729/

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  7. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In a traditional zoo, almost every animal will have a secure indoor building connected to the exhibit. (In an open air safari park this is not the case, but I assume you are asking about traditional zoos). In zoos with good year round weather, such as your Singapore Zoo and my local Reid Park Zoo (Tucson, Arizona, USA), these are normally off exhibit to the public and used only when keepers are cleaning the exhibit or sometimes to house the animals at night. (Thankfully, more zoos are now giving their animals night access to the main exhibit).

In zoos with colder climates, such as Canada, northern USA and northern Europe, the indoor exhibits are often larger and open to the public. This way, the public can still see animals in the winter when they may spend most of their time indoors.

As the person above stated, the name of the indoor exhibits is different, but I think the most general term would be "night house" (at least here in the USA).

8. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Most of a zoo's animal ambassadors are behind the scenes as well. I have been behind the scenes at Beardsley several times. I've never seen night housing, but I have been into the education department, and the kitchen.

9. ungulate nerd

I work as a docent at Santa Ana Zoo so if anybody ever comes to southern california, maybe i could try to arrange a behind the scenes tour of that zoo if any of you are interested let me know