Join our zoo community

What is Europe's best aquarium?

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Fallax, 16 Oct 2022.

1. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A lot of us will have seen the countless debates on whether Shedd or Georgia is the best aquarium in the US (with MBA also sometimes thrown in).

I've been wondering... what about Europe? This continent doesn't really have any aquarium which matches the sheer grandeur of the US Big 3 but there is certainly some impressive aquariums here too. I think there is a decent few contenders: Valencia, Lisboa, Nausicaa, Genoa, and Den Bla all spring to mind but there may be some others worth bringing up.

Curious to hear what some other ZooChatters think? Personally, from an outside perspective (having not visited any of the above) I think Valencia might take the cake.

snowleopard likes this.
  2. Sneeuwpanter

Sneeuwpanter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In the last couple of years i visited most of europe's big aquariums....my personal top 5 is

1. Naussicaa (Boulogne sur Mer- France)
    2. Oceanarium (Lisbon - Portugal)
    3. Burgers Ocean (Arnhem - Netherlands) located within one of europe's best zoos
    4. Den Bla Planet (Copenhagen - Denmark)
    5. Ocearium du Croissic (Le Croissic - France)
    For me the most suprising one just a "local" aquarium near my holliday stay

And yes I visited Valencia, but as a pure aquarium didn't make it in my personal top 5 neither did Genua aquarium

3. ralph

ralph Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I prefer Lisboa over Valencia. I haven't been to Genua, Nausicaa or Den Bla Planet yet.

Burgers' Ocean is defenitely Europe's best 'aquarium within a zoo'. It would easily hold its own if it were a seperate attraction.

Kalaw likes this.
  4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I haven't visited Valencia, Nordsoen and Atlanterhavsparken, which are high on my wish-list and might make the list. Others like Genova I have also not visited, but based on experiences from others isn't something I expect would pop up in such a list.

Overall it is a difficult choice, as for me the aquarium with the best showstopper (Nausicaa) is relatively weak otherwise and the best aquarium when it comes to smaller tanks (Den Bla Planet) has its main faults in the largest enclosures... Going pound for pound, the highest quality would be reached in Burgers' Ocean imo. In terms of immersion and design I struggle to think of something better. But it is only 10 tanks (including 3 small ones), so as a standalone aquarium it might not work.

Lisboa has the best of both worlds: a good concept, plenty of smaller tanks, an interesting execution and an impressive main tank. So despite its flaws, it might be the best of the ones I have seen. But it isn't the most spectacular or the one with the most attention to detail.

To fill my personal top-5 it is between Oceanopolis in Brest and the Stralsund Ozeaneum. Stralsund only has N-European saltwater species and shows that you can shine with that alone. Oceanopolis has a very good Brittany saltwater area too, but also has a polar and a tropical pavilion. The tropical pavilion would however be due for an upgrade. Overall Brest would be the one I would rather return to, when compared to Stralsund, so might finish the top 5

1. Oceanario Lisboa
    2. Burgers' Ocean
    3. Den Bla Planet
    4. Nausicaa
    5. Oceanopolis Brest

PAT, snowleopard, Fallax and 2 others like this.
  5. The Jasmine Dragon

The Jasmine Dragon Member

I don’t know if you define Europe geographically or politically, but if it’s the latter then my favourites are:
    1. Poema del Mar
    2. Nordsøen Oceanarium
    3. Den Blå Planet

I have also visited Barcelona Aquarium, but I don’t think it’s anywhere close to these three.

Kalaw likes this.