Join our zoo community

Tiergarten Schönbrunn What is it like? Vienna Schonbrunn zoo

Discussion in 'Austria' started by CMP, 16 Nov 2020.

1. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

After making a similar thread for the Berlin zoo, I am also wondering about a zoo that many consider to be its rival. I have seen may of the pictures and reviews here on ZC, but I was wondering a much more simple question: What is it like? it does not have to be a full review, but rather, a general overview of the feel of the place, along with what could I expect if I visit there, how big is it, or how long does it take to walk through, what the exhibits are like, the style of areas or buildings, and if I should visit.
    Berlin zoo thread: What is it like? Berlin zoo
    Also, feel free to argue in the chat about Schonbrunn vs Berlin :p

2. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I think the word unique is somewhat over-used but it's an appropriate word to use when describing Schönbrunn. It's an elegant, historic zoo on an elegant, historic site in an elegant, historic city. It is as much of Vienna as it is in Vienna if that makes sense.

It has a pretty comprehensive collection from an ABC point of view and the combination of historic buildings which echo the architecture of the nearby palace, sympathetic conversions and modern additions and a much less developed woodland area with Tyrolean architecture adds up to a beautiful and engaging zoo. And a zoo which has been transformed over the last decades.

It is not on the same scale as Berlin and its origin as an imperial menagerie is somewhat different so I wouldn't use the word rival but seeing both of them is probably an essential - or highly desirable - element of any zoo enthusiast's education.

It is big enough to be a very full day out but not so big that it is draining. I think there is an intimacy which not all zoos have.

There are good food options from schnitzel and fries at the Tyrolean farm to more sophisticated baroque surroundings at the Emperor's Pavilion - where you can eat like a Habsburg with views of animals all around you. Plus lots of opportunities for coffee and cake. You're in Vienna after all.

Writing this makes me realise how much I love the place and that Vienna is a very special place.

Antoine, Batto, CMP and 1 other person like this.
  3. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

That sounds amazing, definitely hoping on getting to Vienna on a European road trip. Having around 700 species seems like icing on the cake.

Shirokuma likes this.