Join our zoo community

What is your Favorite Aquarium?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by German Zoo World, 27 Jan 2021.

Tags:
?

What is your Favorite Zoo Aquarium

1. Tierpark Berlin Aquarium

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. Tropen Aquarium Hagenbeck

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  3. Zoo Leipzig Aquarium

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. Luisenpark Mannheim Aquarium

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Loro Parque Oceanario

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Tiergarten Nürnberg Aquarium

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Wilhelma Aquarium/Terrarium

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  8. Tiergarten Um Aquarium/Terrarium

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Alpenzoo Innsbruck Freshwater Aquarium

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Others please tell us

17 vote(s)
    68.0%
  1. Jambi

Jambi Well-Known Member

There are two I really like: the first is Deep Sea World in Scotland, it's relatively small and simple, but does have a few unique things like seals, and the sand tiger sharks in their walkthrough tunnel are much more impressive than the smaller sharks you see at your typical Sea Life Centre. It's been many, many years since my last visit, but I plan on re-visiting next year.
    The second is a very small and basic place, the Lake District Coast Aquarium in the north of England. It's primarily fish that can be caught in local waters, but they are also some more exotic tropical species, and they've recently started work on a piranha tank. The place is also only a 30 minute train ride from where I live, so I don't need to plan months in advence if I ever wanted to visit, I can just hop on the next train and head up there.

2. Tiger

Tiger Well-Known Member

If this poll is limited to only aquariums at zoos themselves then my favorite that I've personally seen so far is by a wide margin the Oceanium at the Rotterdam Zoo. It's a truly amazing aquarium building that takes you through different regions of the world. The empathy level is very high there and it's also very educational. The areas sort of flow into each other. Order is like this: California-Bass Rock-North Sea-ocean-coral reefs-Antilles-future island area (now only lemurs)-Falkland Islands-Galapagos Islands-research center (with real laboratory)-North American kelp forests.
    At number 2, without a doubt, comes the aquarium of the Antwerp Zoo (Zoo Antwerpen). This building was opened in 1911, but was renovated back into its original state in 2011. The building is overwhelming and exudes the atmosphere of yesteryear. The large coral reef aquarium at the end of the hall is truly magnificent and has one of the largest aquarium windows in Europe.
    On 3 comes to me Pairi Daiza. This aquarium is called 'Nautilus' (although this cannot be seen (anymore)). It was built in the former residence of the monks of the former abbey where Pairi Daiza is located. Although it is a beautiful and popular aquarium with rare species, it certainly doesn't have the quality of the Oceanium or the aquarium building of Zoo Antwerp. Even the largest aquarium of Pairi Daiza does not measure up to the large aquariums of the 2 other zoos.

German Zoo World likes this.
  3. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

Tokyo Sea Life Park by far. Fantastic exhibits, loads of rare species.

4. Bisonfan

Bisonfan Well-Known Member

my favourite is a little known aquarium called Ripley's aquarium in Toronto.

5. Philipine eagle

Philipine eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As the poll is now limited to aquaria inside zoo grounds, I'll pick up 2:
    - traditional lay out: Aquarium Zoo Berlin (an exceptional large collection) (runners-up: Artis, Antwerp, Stuttgart)
    - ecodisplay: Burgers' Ocean (an exceptionally well thought-out Southeastasian saltwater ecodisplay) (any - European - runner up would diminish Burgers' Ocean)

6. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I presume there is a mistake in the poll: Its Zoo Berlin that has a well known and rich on species Aquarium (Aquarium Zoo Berlin) not the Tierpark, that only has a few tanks in its Cafeteria...!

However, it is hard to decide between the ones you have listed. Regarding the fact, that I haven't visited the huge Aquariums in Japan (and China), I would say:

1. Shedd Chicago
    2. Aquarium Zoo Berlin
    3. Oceanografic Valencia (although we can say that this is more a marine park then an aquarium)

Runners up...
    ...for Aquariums within a zoo:
    Wilhelma Stuttgart, Burger's Ocean, Oceanium Rotterdam Zoo (when the focus was on the Atlantic Ocean and the Northern Pacific and when they had Sea Otter)
    ...for Aquariums standing alone:
    Blue Planet Aquarium Copenhague, Lissabon Aquarium, Florida Aquarium, Aquarium of the Pacific

7. Philipine eagle

I think the poll starter only listed aquaria visited by himself. That would explain the Tierpark choice and the absence of the Berlin Zoo Aquarium.

8. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Philipine eagle likes this.
  9. CrashMegaraptor

CrashMegaraptor Well-Known Member

Berlin Aquarium. Without question. Rotterdam's Oceanium comes in a solid second, but I'd argue it isn't close.

Even if you discount the herpetarium and insectarium on top of the aquarium itself, Berlin has such a strong variety of species. I love the atmosphere of all three floors.

zoomaniac likes this.
  10. Philipine eagle

I'm not sure that I consider Blijdorp's Oceanium in its entirety as an aquarium.

It's a very nice water-themed concept but only several parts do I count as an aquarium. The mammal/bird/reptiles displays are of course very good (and the former Sea of Cortez exhibits were exceptional imo).

I consider the fish tanks of less quality than f.e. those of Burgers' Ocean.

11. tk17

tk17 Member

For me it would be, based purely on personal preference:
    1. Burgers ocean
    2. Oceanium blijdorp
    3. Pairi daiza's aquarium
    4. Antwerp zoo aquarium.
    Though it is hard to rank them, as they are all unique and have their own highlights.