Join our zoo community

What is your Favorite Indoor rainforest?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by German Zoo World, 18 Jan 2021.

1. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would say the big 5. Beauval’s dome is also pretty impressive in size and construct.

Of the 5 big ones I have only yet to see Gondwanaland, but I will probably agree Masoala and Bush are in a league of their own. For me, Bush wins by quite a margin from Masoala but I have only visited Masoala in winter, not the best of times.

German Zoo World likes this.
  2. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

From what I’ve seen Beauval’s dome is not a jungle house. It’s a house that happens to exhibit tropical species but it is definitely not a rainforest or an attempted replica.

Have not visited Burgers yet, but I feel like the two (Zurich and Burgers) are very close. While Burgers has more species and a more jungly feeling (from what people say), Zürich is focused on Masoalla and has(had) a very precise selection of species. Is there a high viewing platform in Burgers? Because although it kills the jungle vibe in a was, it is one really nice thing in Zurich to be able to see the flying birds from above/at eye level.

3. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

Burger's bush is very dense, as well as having multiple "adventure paths", but if you want to see the birds and other free-roamers I think the Rimbula-greenhouse in wildlands is better.

It's a bit heavy on theming and mostly cheap, quick-growing flora in comparison to other zoos. But it's great for seeing the animals. You can always see the lemurs if you look for them, I was able to discover a giant gecko, as well as a baby gecko (which I'm very proud of, as it was very small),the hamerkops were building a nest right above the path, and I once got bitten by a sunbittern, which was cool

Burger's bush indeed has more of a jungle feel to it, but the hornbills and iguanas are basically invisible, and only once have I seen an ibis. Though you can usually see the ground pigeons, and if you follow the noise, you'll usually discover the siren-bird.
    The main thing I find mildly dissapointing about the bush is that the aardvarks have a pretty small enclosure, and are rarely ever seen. Though it is interesting not seeing them in a cave, as seems tradition in most zoos

4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Your last paragraph says more about your spotting skills then about the Bush, to be a bit blunt. Ibises, hornbills and especially the aardvarks are not hard to find at all with a little bit of patience. Not seeing the Aardvarks is impossible if you check all three sleeping dens. The hornbills are normally high up around the otters or close to the restaurant. The Scarlet Ibises are always in the trees between the restaurant and the turtle pond next to the giraffe stables. This turtle pond is also the favourite place of the Madagascar Ibises (which are also regularly seen near the Capybara and have their nest on top of a bromelia opposite the waterfal). With some patience anyone should be able to see more than 20 bird species (though it would help if they finally place signage again) and on a normal visit I usually see >30 different species

There is a higher viewing platform, but it is not nearly as impressive as in Masoala, due to how much lower the hall is and you can't oversee the whole hall as the trees are in the way.

5. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I've visited tropical rainforest buildings in American zoos such as Bronx, Brookfield, Buffalo, Central Park, Cleveland, Denver, Fort Wayne, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Louisville, Mesker Park, Minnesota, National Zoo, North Carolina, Omaha, Rio Grande, Roger Williams, Sedgwick County, Tulsa and Woodland Park, although some of those are either not around these days or are not really true 'jungles' in any sense of the word.

I posted this on ZooChat in 2016:

Bronx – JungleWorld (opened in 1985) now has a separate entrance fee, which is a major flaw, but this excellent recreation of an Asian rainforest is still one of the best around after around 30 years of operation. There are 3 separate environments that visitors are immersed in, and the zoo chose to showcase one continental area (Asia) really well rather than multiple continental areas haphazardly.

Brookfield – this massive structure opened in stages in the early 1980’s and with African, Asian and South American zones there is an excellent variation of species (particularly primates) on display. At the time it was probably magnificent but the decades have not been kind to it and now there is the sense that the football-field-sized interior is outdated and due for an overhaul. The sheer “fakeness” of the surroundings overwhelms even cursory zoo fans, and the gorilla and orangutan exhibits with zero outdoor areas are extremely poorly regarded these days.

Buffalo – a relatively new complex that is 18,000 sq. ft. in size and opened in 2008. An extremely pleasant environment containing modern exhibitry showcasing South American animals, and there is a great overview of the rainforest from a high observation deck.

Central Park – a two-level rainforest with smaller side exhibits but many free-roaming animals, and overall it is a decent recreation of a jungle atmosphere in the middle of New York City.

Cleveland – this absolutely enormous building, 85,000 sq. ft. in size and with reportedly 2 acres of floor space, features animals from Asia and South America and opened in 1992. Two large levels are expansive and the majority of the exhibits are top-notch, particularly the large gharial/turtle pool and the numerous reptile habitats. The major downside is an all-indoor orangutan exhibit that is subpar for such an intelligent species.

Denver – Tropical Discovery opened in 1993 and while there are only 10 major exhibits (including at one time the largest indoor Komodo dragon habitat in the world) everything is well done and the idea of mini-biomes from around the planet is modern and informative.

Fort Wayne – the Jungle Dome contains an excellent walk-through aviary that is lush and thick with vegetation, and it technically could qualify as a rainforest building due to the presence of an all-indoor orangutan exhibit. Unfortunately that enclosure is dire, dim and badly in need of a swift overhaul.

Jacksonville – not a true rainforest building but the Mayan Temple area in Range of the Jaguar includes numerous indoor exhibits in a ruined temple-themed zone. The highlights of this area are the outdoor habitats for jaguars, capybaras, tapirs and a large walk-through aviary.

Kansas City – the Tropics building is more than a century old but features a new, modern, innovative area (gibbons and otters in the same exhibit and having overhead and below ground passageways) but ultimately average due to the fact that there are only 5 exhibits and there is not really any attempt at immersion.

Louisville – again not a true rainforest building but the Islands Pavilion has a walk-through aviary, numerous animal exhibits and serves as the backdrop for the Asian rotational habitats of 5 major mammals species.

Mesker Park – a 10,000 sq. ft. structure that opened in 2008 and it is easily the newest, biggest and best part of an otherwise nondescript zoo. Amazonia: Forest of Riches is top-notch in almost all compartments, it uses modern exhibitry methods, and the focus on South American animals is impressive and thus the limits of this mid-sized zoo were not stretched during construction.

Minnesota – a 1.5 acre Tropics Trail building featuring animals from Africa, Asia and South America, as well as an excellent coral reef habitat. The scope of the building is impressive, particularly for Minnesotans keen to escape the winter blues in the northern city, but the size of the exhibits for many of the larger animals leaves a little to be desired. Much improved in recent years due to the switching of certain species and the opening of the permanent African area.

National – Amazonia is 15,000 sq. ft. in size and very well done as it focuses on South American animals, opened in 1992 and is two levels. The lack of large popular mammals is its downfall and also its greatest asset as the focus is on accomplishing one thing and doing that with expertise.

North Carolina – the African Pavilion used to be teeming with all sorts of rare animal species, but these days it is animal-free and the empty exhibits have been left standing and are somewhat eerily packed with dense undergrowth as the zoo has allowed the plant life to reign supreme. Now closed.

Omaha – the Lied Jungle opened in 1992 and is considered by many to be the premier rainforest building in North America. The dirt pathway on the lower level adds to the thrill, but the downside is that several of the enclosures for larger animals are definitely too small.

Rio Grande – this tropical American building features a series of well-designed visitor pathways, but many of the animal exhibits are simply average at best.

Roger Williams Park – borderline terrible building that is small, poorly designed and full of wires and ventilation pipes that remain unhidden and disconcerting to visitors. This Tropical American complex is tiny and only worth seeing for the decent, outdoor giant anteater exhibit.

Sedgwick County – this building opened in 1977 and its half-acre area holds up well 40 years later. Age has added to the aroma of the thick vegetation, and the dirt pathway and muddy signs actually create an effective immersive experience that makes this one of the better rainforest complexes in existence.

Tulsa – a showcasing of Central and South American animals in a vast building is the best complex at an otherwise disappointing zoo. The idea to focus on one continental area adds to the richness of the exhibitry.

Woodland Park – this tropical rainforest building opened in 1992 and it is smaller than many other American behemoths, but it features a decent set of indoor exhibits for South American animals. The real gems are the outdoor areas: 2 trend-setting gorilla habitats, Jaguar Cove, colobus monkeys, red-flanked duikers and red ruffed lemurs.

Then in 2019 I spent the summer touring 95 European zoos and I posted this on ZooChat:

11 zoos with Tropical Houses (only including those buildings of a substantial size): Pakawi Park (Olmen, BE), Pairi Daiza (Brugelette, BE), Mondo Verde (Landgraaf, NL), Cologne Zoo (Cologne, DE), Dortmund Zoo (Dortmund, DE), ZOOM Erlebniswelt (Gelsenkirchen, DE), Krefeld Zoo (Krefeld, DE), Burgers' Zoo (Arnhem, NL), Weltvogelpark Walsrode (Walsrode, DE), Allwetterzoo Munster (Munster, DE) and Wildlands Adventure Zoo Emmen (Emmen, NL).

3 best Tropical Houses: Burgers' Zoo (Arnhem, NL) and Wildlands Adventure Zoo Emmen (Emmen, NL) are the two stand-out Tropical Houses that I saw on the trip and they are just about the two largest in all of Europe. (Zurich and Leipzig would perhaps round out a ‘Top 4’ list). It’s difficult to make a third selection, but I’ll go with Pairi Daiza (Brugelette, BE) for the inclusion of Sulawesi Bear Cuscus, Bulwer’s Pheasant, St. Lucia Amazon Parrot, St. Vincent Parrot and Andean Cock-of-the-Rock in its decent Tropical House.

Finally, here are the 'Big 5' tropical houses in Europe in terms of size:

Wildlands Adventure Zoo Emmen's Jungola - 18,000 square metres (23 metres high)
    Leipzig Zoo's Gondwanaland - 16,500 square metres (34 metres high)
    Burgers' Zoo's Bush - 15,000 square metres (20 metres high)
    Zurich Zoo's Masoala - 11,000 square metres (30 metres high)
    Beauval Zoo's Tropical Dome - 8,000 square metres (38 metres high)

In regards to North American zoos, Omaha's Lied Jungle is often quoted as having 123,000 square feet of floor space and that equates to approximately 11,400 square metres. The height of that indoor jungle is 24 metres, which was staggering when it opened in 1992 but has obviously been surpassed by some zoos on the list above.

6. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's fair. But I still feel like it's a lot easier to find the free-roamers in wildlands in comparison to Burgers

7. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Where did you get this number, the number I generally see is 1,5 acres (0.6 hectares, so half the size), which when I measure it on google maps seems an overestimate.

8. snowleopard

You are correct that the 1.5 acre total (around 6,000 square meters) is the standard size quoted in numerous articles, which would make the Lied Jungle (pronounced LEED) smaller than any of the 'Big 5' European tropical houses. There are several online articles that state that the Lied Jungle is 61,000 square meters, which is technically 5,667 square meters and therefore much smaller than the 123,000 square feet (11,400 square meters) quoted in this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Omahas-Henry-Doorly-Zoo-Aquarium/dp/1540216683

Here's a second source with the 123,000 square feet figure:

NRT counting bats at zoo | National Science Foundation National Research Traineeship (NRT) Program | Nebraska.

Here's a third source with the 123,000 square feet figure:

jungle Archives - 3 Quarters Today

I don't know if those numbers are accurate for those 3 sources and it's probably not important in the grand scheme of things. For these big tropical rainforest projects in zoos, the 'best' comes down to a matter of opinion. I loved seeing Masoala at Zurich Zoo when it first opened in 2003, as well as the superb Burgers' Bush at Burgers' Zoo in 2019, with both being outstanding but also very light on mammals. If an individual wants a grand size of a building and elephants, then Wildlands in Emmen is the place to go. If someone wants a particular geographical zone, then the Bronx Zoo has a nice Asian ecosystem. If someone wants to see a train wreck then visit Tropic World at Brookfield Zoo in Chicago. If a large representation of wildlife, both big and small, is desired then probably Lied Jungle at Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Gondwanaland at Leipzig Zoo are the top contenders. I'm sure that in a few years Pairi Daiza will destroy all in its path...haha. :eek:

Neil chace likes this.
  9. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was there once. It is a free tour, but unfortunately offered only in rather awkward time in the mid-week. The path goes mostly along the pool and the low area with the big-leaved plants. I did not see any more additional animals, but it was interesting to be able to talk about the vegetation, the building structure and so on. I learned that the roof of Masoala was supposed to last 25 years, so it would probably need replacement in few years.

If you have problem seeing some species, sometimes it helps to ask one of the keepers. For example, the last crested drongo always kept in one particular place, near when the visitor path crosses a small a stream between the giant tortoise pool and the low area with the big-leaved plants.

10. MarkinTex

MarkinTex Well-Known Member

I'm partial to the Moody Gardens Rainforest Pyramid, as I've been going there since I was a teenager when it first opened. I also like Dallas World Aquarium and the Vancouver Aquarium's Amazon gallery. But mostly over the past year I've just been enjoying my Amazon rainforest paludarium in my living room. Though I get my second dose of Moderna on April 9, so looking forward to enjoying some indoor exhibits soon!

11. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What animals do you have in the living room paludarium?

12. MarkinTex

I just have fish, mostly various south american tetras, a couple dwarf cichlid species, corydoras cats. The land area is just plants. It would be cool to have poison dart frogs, but with the design aesthetic I wanted for the setup, it's not an ideal habitat for them.

13. German Zoo World

German Zoo World Well-Known Member

You could put Caiman lizard, plumed basilisk or Surinam toad in.

14. MarkinTex

I wish, but not with the size of the setup. I used a standard 55 gallon aquarium. I made a fake rockwork wall, with two "land" areas cantileved to it, separated by a waterfall. These two "land" areas are each about 18 inches wide and 5 inches front to back (and about 6 inches deep) - think window boxes for flowers. And they're densely planted, not much free space at all for a land animal to walk around on. I did this because I'm a fish guy and wanted to maximize the aquatic capacity.

15. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I unironically love ARTIS's Rainforest house despite how outdated it is because at the time my brother was able to be impressed by it. I don't think that he would be impressed by it now, nor any indoor rainforest, even if it is a Burgers Jungle or Masaola.

16. Philipine eagle

Philipine eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Again you forgot Planckendael's Asian Tropical Rainforest ;)

snowleopard likes this.
  17. snowleopard

I'll add it in now. :p

In the summer of 2019 I toured 95 European zoos and I posted this on ZooChat:

12 zoos with Tropical Houses (only including those buildings of a substantial size): Planckendael Zoo (Mechelen, BE), Pakawi Park (Olmen, BE), Pairi Daiza (Brugelette, BE), Mondo Verde (Landgraaf, NL), Cologne Zoo (Cologne, DE), Dortmund Zoo (Dortmund, DE), ZOOM Erlebniswelt (Gelsenkirchen, DE), Krefeld Zoo (Krefeld, DE), Burgers' Zoo (Arnhem, NL), Weltvogelpark Walsrode (Walsrode, DE), Allwetterzoo Munster (Munster, DE) and Wildlands Adventure Zoo Emmen (Emmen, NL).

3 best Tropical Houses: Burgers' Zoo (Arnhem, NL) and Wildlands Adventure Zoo Emmen (Emmen, NL) are the two stand-out Tropical Houses that I saw on the trip and they are just about the two largest in all of Europe. (Zurich and Leipzig would perhaps round out a ‘Top 4’ list). It’s difficult to make a third selection, but I’ll go with Pairi Daiza (Brugelette, BE) for the inclusion of Sulawesi Bear Cuscus, Bulwer’s Pheasant, St. Lucia Amazon Parrot, St. Vincent Parrot and Andean Cock-of-the-Rock in its decent Tropical House.

18. OkapiJohn

OkapiJohn Well-Known Member

I loved the Indonesian Dome in Prague Zoo and the Amazonica in Rotterdam Zoo.

19. Tapir Master

Tapir Master Well-Known Member

Love it or hate it, the Tropic World is amazing alone for its size and animal selection. Although I agree that it could use a complete renovation (that fading background is a dead giveaway) and an outdoor viewing for their great apes.

That way more can see the exhibit in a less negative light.