Join our zoo community

What is your wild nemesis species?

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Great Argus, 19 Oct 2019.

1. Cassidy Casuar

Cassidy Casuar Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Coincidentally, look at what I saw on the internet today:
    [​IMG]

2. Anniella

Anniella Well-Known Member

Ironically, red foxes are the only mammal species I have seen in two continents and three countries, and they are the only non-bat wild mammal I saw in Israel.

Likewise, I have seen roadrunners many times in southern California and Arizona, despite never having lived in either of those areas!

For animals I have heard, I would say Western screech owls. I have heard them many times, but I have never seen them once. I have also never seen common poorwhil, despite also hearing them from time-to-time.

I suppose if we're going by habitats I have been in, then the list would be quite a bit larger.

Great Argus likes this.
  3. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

Sorry for bumping up the thread

Mine is the Tawny Frogmouth, they are extremely common in my area and other areas nearby where I go looking for them in day, dusk and night and I’ve never seen one. Even my sister has seen one outside her school.

All species of snake too, I just never find them.

Great Argus likes this.
  4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

My main one is Great Spotted Kiwi. I've looked for them a dozen times; two-dozen times - I don't know how many times, but a lot. I can hear them calling every time, I've found feathers, footprints, probe-holes, droppings - everything but an actual bird. Now I live on the other island where they aren't found at all.

5. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

(Late) Update: I didn't get them. I'm now certain they are a fake species.

6. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am thoroughly convinced that one day I'll be searching for a Great Gray Owl and I will encounter a sasquatch who will say, "dude, you just missed it, the owl was here like 5 minutes ago."

7. Luca Bronzi

Luca Bronzi Well-Known Member

Sandwich Tern.
    I went like five times in a spot in my city where they are present, and I've "only" seen plenty of gulls and a bird which could possibly be a tern (but it immediately disappeared and never came back).

Great Argus likes this.
  8. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Lesser spotted woodpecker. I have visited a local site where they are apparently not that difficult to see (if the other birdwatching reports coming from the wood are any indication) probably more than twenty times; I may have heard one calling on one visit but equally it may have been a kestrel.

Great Argus likes this.
  9. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Short Beaked Echidnas. I live in an area where they are reasonably common and yet I still haven’t been able to see one. My sister has seen three (and run over two of those three :mad::(). My friend who lives nearby has seen several. One night when I was coming home I saw an echidna on the side of the road so I stopped to help it off the road only to realise it was dead :(. I know for a fact it wasn’t there earlier when I had driven along that road so it was at most three hours old. Very sad.

Great Argus and Yoshistar888 like this.
  10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Go in February/March/April before the leaves are on the trees- also they will be drumming as well as calling during this time. The drumming is quieter than Greater Spotted Woodpecker and tapers off at the end, not with a sudden abrupt finish. If you think you have tracked one down but still can't quite see it, look very high in the canopy which is where they usually spend their time. I went many years before I saw one, but then began to find them quite frequently after that.

DesertRhino150 likes this.
  11. Luca Bronzi

Luca Bronzi Well-Known Member

Nevermind.

12. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

I feel your pain

animal_expert01 likes this.
  13. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wild Asian elephants.

I've looked for them in Africa, Australia, Guatemala, and every corner of North America. No luck.

14. Lota lota

Lota lota Well-Known Member

Are badgers really that tricky? I see them every day in the summer.

15. King of Komodo Dragons

King of Komodo Dragons Well-Known Member

Black Racers, I have bad luck with wild snakes in general but Black Racers make it personal by showing their face then bolting before I can get a photo or catch it

16. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sometimes it just depends on location. For example I see woodpeckers every day, but I know other people who have the hardest time finding one.

17. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Jacksnipe. I know for a fact I have been in the presence of a jacksnipe at least twice but have never seen one.