Join our zoo community

What kind of fencing do Budgie Aviarys tend to use in zoos?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Jena, 13 Jun 2019.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Hey everyone! Sooooo I have a question regarding fencing around the path for aviarys in budgie exhibits where guest can feed them and such. I go to a zoo often that has one and they only use a single high rope pole where kids under the age of 4 can walk under without bending over despite not being allowed to. When I talk to someone they say that other fencing can be dangerous so I want to know if single high rope is standard and only option for budiges in other aviarys or if they use other kinds of fencing for the paths of the budgie aviarys that have worked really well? Where guests cannot go under easily.

Also do other zoos allow strollers in aviarys kind of just in general? I know these may be weird to really ask but I just always even before working at that zoo thought it was bizzare to have a high rope fence where small kids easily walk under without bending over. And that they allow strollers despite how many budiges have gone under those strollers so idk if this is common in other zoos or if this is bizzare? Thanks!

2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have seen 3 kinds of barriers on Budgie exhibits: walls (for completely indoor ones), the basic netted aviary, and chicken wire. I don't know which is best.

3. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Far as fencing, most aviaries for feeding budgies or lorikeets that I've been in have not had fencing to keep visitors on the path. As far as other types being dangerous, are we talking to the birds or to the people?

Strollers - many zoos I've been to prefer to not have strollers in their walk-through aviaries, and levels of enforcement vary. Many a bird has been run over by a stroller, so most zoos try to avoid that situation.