Join our zoo community

What pets/animals do you currently have?

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by tschandler71, 9 Jan 2013.

1. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Yes, I've been watching him and he is at least fine for now. Thanks, a lot of those inverts are hitchhikers :D but for now they don't seem to be doing the corals or fish any harm.

DaLilFishie and Great Argus like this.
  2. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Most of what you listed is standard reef inhabitants that won't cause any issues. ;)

CMP likes this.
  3. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

Some really cool stuff can come as hitchhikers, I got 2 sea cucumbers, a red tuxedo urchin, a ton of brittle stars and even a small goby that way.

birdsandbats and CMP like this.
  4. Great Argus

Wow, a fish even? What species of goby do you know?
    I had all kinds of interesting hitchhikers too, a baby abalone and several small starfish come to mind. :)

CMP likes this.
  5. DaLilFishie

I don't know what kind of goby it was, it was about 1cm long and mint green with vertical red bars. Very pretty. Quite a few of them fell out of the rock when they pulled the rock out of the tank at the store. Unfortunately he did not survive the cycle, neither did a grey nudibranch that came in too.

CMP and Great Argus like this.
  6. Great Argus

Very cool. Possibly a species of Trimma or a similar genus, even undescribed possibly.

DaLilFishie likes this.
  7. DaLilFishie

Having a genus narrowed it down a lot, thanks! I had a quick look at different Trimma species and it most resembles Trimma cana (other than being mint-green, although that may have been due to the lighting on the tank and not the fish's actual colouration) If I'd have known it could have been an undescribed species I would have preserved it when it died or at least taken a good photo!

CMP and Great Argus like this.
  8. Great Argus

Could be the lighting, a lot of fish can look a bit different under various lighting. Then too new Trimma and Eviota are still being described on a regular basis! Probably more likely a known species though since aquarium trade has bases of operation typically.

CMP and DaLilFishie like this.
  9. Alex Roman

Alex Roman Well-Known Member

Personally, I am a fish person myself, too, but I also fancy guinea pigs, thus making me more of a guinea pig and fish person than a cat or dog person. TBF, I like all animals, so I obviously like cats and dogs as well.

Anyways, besides guinea pigs and fish, my other favorite pet types would be other aquatics, reptiles, amphibians, birds (including "farm" birds (e.g. chickens)), and hamsters.

10. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

I have had a hamster for about a week now as well, Syrian Hamster (Mesocricetus auratus)

Cassidy Casuar likes this.
  11. Alex Roman

Alex Roman Well-Known Member

Anyways, I own three fiddler crabs, one molly, and four guinea pigs, and a thing of sea monkeys.

ZooNerd1234 likes this.
  12. Syringa Wildlife

Syringa Wildlife Member

I currently have a collection consisting of brown hyena, bat ear foxes, caracal, an aardwolf and radiated tortoises. It an absolute privilege to be able to work with these animals and educate folks about them! They are such awesome animals and deserve our love and protection! I hope one day to open a small Zoo so that I can reach even more people and teach them about wildlife and the importance of conservation.

13. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

I have a Betta and a Bristlenose pleco.

Nix likes this.
  14. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

16 Impala, 2 Eland, 362 Nguni Cattle, 2 Jack Russels, 1 Crested gecko and 3 guppies and 1 Emu.

15. Amphibiman

Amphibiman Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I only have a grumpy shih tzu now. I have moved several times in the near past and I rehomed my previous collection. It killed me to do so, as I loved the animals, but I knew I couldn't provide the environment they needed and the additional stress of having to be rehomed several times. My previous group of pets consisted of, and this should be no surprise considering the moniker I have chosen here, all amphibians in my animal room. I had Green Tree Frogs, Grey Tree Frogs, an Ornate Horned Toad, several Fire-Bellied Toads, two Spotted Salamanders, a Tiger Salamander, a handful of Dwarf Clawed Frogs, Green and Black Mantellas, Painted Mantellas and two Axolotls. After extensive vetting, they were rehomed and I hope they are doing well.

evilmonkey239, HungarianBison and Nix like this.
  16. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

Are they only kept by you?

17. Black Footed Beast

Black Footed Beast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've currently got 2 White's Tree Frogs named Tetsu and Tetra, a Ghost Mantis named Grim, a Fat Tailed Gecko named Cocoa, a colony of Dubia Roaches, and an old Shitzu Poodle that my family has had since they were a pup

18. DaLilFishie

Recently picked up a few critters for the 120l reef, a Queensland Combtooth Blenny (Ecsenius mandibularis), two strombus that I believe are Tiger Strombus (Conomurex luhuanus), Turbo Snails (Turbo sp.) and a Doughnut Coral (Acanthophyllia deshayesiana).

Unfortunately the Red Tuxedo Urchin (Mespilia globulus) has died. It was just his time I think, I had him for years and the normal lifespan for the species is 2-5 years.

19. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

Me and my family.

HungarianBison likes this.
  20. Wren Hunter

Wren Hunter New Member

Mine and my Husbands current collection consists of
    • 2 border collies
    • 2 cats
    • 15 chickens
    • 9 ducks
    • 2 geese
    • 1 donkey
    • 8 goats
    • 2 Kune kune pigs
    • 15 rabbits
    • 4 fancy rats
    • 3 fancy mice
    • 3 multimates
    • 8 skunks
    • 1 Eurasian eagle owl
    • 1 tawny owl
    • 23 ferrets
    • 3 Richardson ground squirrels
    • 1 silver fox
    • 2 raccoons
    • 2 Coati mundis
    • 2 African cape genets
    • 2 beech martens
    • 2 yellow mongoose
    • 3 love birds
    • 2 lorikeets
    • 1 Tanuki
    It continues to grow as we build and is our 24/7 job. Our whole life is our animals