Join our zoo community

What species would you ban from zoos?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by redpanda756, 26 May 2020.

1. redpanda756

redpanda756 Well-Known Member

It can be any species. And please, no judgement.

2. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

None, some species can't be kept like the largest whales but I don't think its a matter of banning it but more just its extremely impractical.

3. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Meerkats:p

HungarianBison and Fallax like this.
  4. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wouldn't. Every species tells a story.

5. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

6. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

7. Fallax

I must say I find it interesting how one of the tags here is "orca". Understandable since captive orcas is a controversial topic. What is everyone's opinions on them?

LowlandGorilla4 and ZooBinh like this.
  8. FBBird

I'm convinced Orcas can be kept well, a pity the antis got involved. Husbandry wise, Orcas are maybe where Gorillas were forty years ago.

9. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

None. As long as it can be kept with high welfare I don’t think there should be restrictions on what species can be kept. Once governments start banning animals (such as cetaceans in many countries) it becomes a lot easier for AR groups to look at the next group of animals such as elephants and look for ways to villianize zoos. Now I do think there should be bans on keeping many dangerous animals privately as pets. I think the government doesn’t do enough to maintain the welfare of animals in “roadside” zoos so there should be more strict accrediting requirements to keep animals such as big cats, elephants, apes, and venomous snakes.

10. The_melford_manatee

The_melford_manatee Well-Known Member

Giant Sallamanders, Siamese Crocodiles and Giraffes are at risk of hybridisation in zoos.A ban may be a little harsh but there should be restrictions.

11. Fallax

I think this is more than a little harsh...

12. FBBird

A hybrid population is better than nothing.

13. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

None with the exception of humans, I don’t need to go to a zoo to see them. Every other species on the planet I don’t believe should ever be “banned” from captivity; even if they’re kept unsuccessfully we learn so much from them that we would never know from their wild counterparts. Also as Echobeast previously said, banning species from captivity opens the floodgates to damage zoos themselves.

ZooBinh likes this.
  14. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Plenty of threads covering the topic or similar already

Search Results for Query: cetacean - ZooChat

Fallax likes this.
  15. redpanda756

redpanda756 Well-Known Member

I'm glad you caught that! I was wondering if anybody would. I personally think that orcas should not be kept in captivity. There are plenty of examples why but the best current one I can think of is Lolita at the Miami Seaquarium. One problem is that she was wild caught in an infamous capture that killed a few orcas.

Noah98 and The_melford_manatee like this.
  16. Fallax

I don't think that one incident in a capture should call for a ban

17. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

There is no real need to ban a species when as mentioned before, every species has a valuable story to tell. As for orcas I think better exhibits can be made for sure but I think captivity for them is still a possibility and shouldn’t be removed.

18. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Lolita is an odd case, as she doesn't really represent the reality of the vast majority of captive orcas. She is an animal that was captured very early on, is known to be highly averse to change, which is why the Miami Seaquarium has not updated her exhibit, and she lives alone with a group of bottlenose dolphins, which is also somewhat unusual these days. Any animal that would be captured in the modern era would be in quite a different situation, and China's current drive towards orcas is showing that.

It should also be pointed out that YouTube is not a source, especially when the description alone uses highly emotionally charged language with an implicit bias, like "forced to perform" and "stolen."

19. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I have no idea where you got your information about Siamese Crocodiles from but it's wrong, yes there are hybrids in captivity but most are in none breeding situations now, in fact the captive population is more pure than a lot of the wild thanks to crocodile farms mixing the species up.

Kifaru Bwana, TinoPup and ZooBinh like this.
  20. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

Not just a species, but any cetacean, they are one of the animal groups, who sufferes the most in captivity, and it does not help the wild populations, espically, since most whale species in captivity are born in the wild.

The only cetacean, I belive could be kept in captivity are maby river dolphins. But again, the fact that they don't breed well in captivity, and that the wild population are in danger of extinction. It would be a terrible idea to try to keep importing them.