Join our zoo community

What the Heck is Catalina Island

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Westcoastperson, 23 Sep 2020.

1. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

So for those who have never heard of Catalina Island, it is an island off the coast of Los Angles. It is very beautiful with some of the best dive spots in the world and includes lots of interesting fauna including Catalina Island Foxes, California Sea Lions, and Harbor Seals. But that is not why it is so relevant to zoo chat. This island is important because it used to be a hunting reserve. The old owners populated the island with Mule Deer, Boar, Sheep, Bison, and Indian Blackbuck. The sheep and the boar were exterminated because of environmental issues but the rest are still there and they prohibit you from hunting the bison and blackbuck. I just find this island very interesting and I wanted to share it with you all. If you know anything else about the island comment it below.

Jungle Man likes this.
  2. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm confused by the title here?

3. Westcoastperson

It is trying to talk about how bizarre Catalina islands fauna is

4. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Why is it a question?

5. Westcoastperson

It's rhetorical

6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Yes, very interesting island in biogeographical terms but I don't understand the question either as it is written more like a rhetorical question / statement.

7. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Incidentally , I remember reading a book that I think mentioned this island called "Rat island".

The chapter detailed the efforts of conservationists in the 90's to control invasive rats and mice that had established themselves there and were having a negative impact on native / endemic species.

Apparently PETA organized a campaign of intimidation and attempts at obstructing these programs and "animal rights activists" even burst into these conservationists office dressed in giant rat costumes and began violently assaulting them. :rolleyes:

Jungle Man and Westcoastperson like this.
  8. Westcoastperson

yes, it is supposed to be rhetorical. I know some stuff about Catalina Island but the point is too get others to talk about what they know about it

9. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yeah , I detailed pretty much the full extent of what I know (which isn't a lot) in my comment above.

10. Westcoastperson

That is very interesting, I know they very recently had success in getting rid of the boars and sheep through hunting. They were assualting people and animals and were digging up native plants

11. Onychorhynchus coronatus

The "Animal rights activists" did this ? o_O Surely assaulting animals would defeat their purpose ?

12. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Ah ok , got you now, the invasives were doing this.

Doesn't suprise me and of course I'm glad to hear that they succeeded in eliminated them :).

Westcoastperson likes this.
  13. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is this place where the name 'Catalina' for hybrid macaws is derived from, and if so what would be the connection?

14. Onychorhynchus coronatus

No, no connection to hybrid macaws. It is an island off the Pacific coast of USA / California.

I dont really know where that name of "Catalina" came from but I would imagine it is named after a specific breeder known for creating this hybrid.

Pertinax likes this.
  15. Westcoastperson

Catalina Macaws were first created in Captivity and Catalina island used to have a very large bird park, so it wouldn't surprise me. But it is probably just because Catalina in Spanish is pure and the macaws are a mix of the Scarlet Macaw and Blue and Gold Macaw.

16. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I don't think it has much to do with the meaning of the name Catalina being "pure" (afterall these are hybrids and not pure) as much as the name having become historically associated / linked with these birds somehow.

It would be really interesting to find what the etymology of this name for these birds means but I haven't found anything online which explains it.

Westcoastperson likes this.
  17. Pertinax

Thanks for the information. I think in that case its probably the historical connection rather than the meaning, after all 'pure' is exactly what those hybrids are not!

18. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

19. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Wow ! , so it did actually have a connection to the island , that is really interesting to find out!

20. Pertinax

I thought it must- it is such an unusual name. I knew it originated from, or is used mainly, in the USA too. I dislike 'Catalina' macaws because they are hybrids and have often wondered how the name came into use- now we know.