Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo What would you do with Bear Canyon and Urban Jungle?

Discussion in 'United States' started by The_UltimateBea, 2 Apr 2017.

1. The_UltimateBea

The_UltimateBea Well-Known Member

BC and UJ are the two areas at the SD Zoo in most obvious need of renovation (other than Elephant Odyssey). Do you think something could be done with the two together or is the elavation change between the two too steep to join them? What would be your overall plan for those areas?

2. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Considering Africa Rocks is going from meandering road from its previous status as steep slope,I would say it is probably possible,though I don't know if it is feasible. As for a replacement,an additional Asian area might be nice,but there's not much left uncovered by their existing Asian areas at both the zoo and Safari Park (which are intended to complement each other). Others have suggested an extended Australia/Oceania area. I'm not sure how likely that is. Fauna from Australia and NZ aren't exactly easy to come by in the zoo world. Lastly,and most likely,a California/North American themed area could go there. Those aren't currently common in California but with Oakland opening one and Los Angeles planning on one,I'd say it's a fair assumption.

3. The_UltimateBea

Considering how animals in Africa Rocks are set at this point, what would you do with the giraffe and rhino?

4. Shellheart

That's a tough one. Geographically speaking the rhino and giraffe are a tough fit in the zoo as is. I'd say send the rhinos to the Safari Park and maybe build a new giraffe exhibit elsewhere? I'd almost said an African Savannah exhibit would be nice but then I remembered how moot that is with the Safari Park...Now that I think about it I do wonder what the zoo is going to do with their little odds and ends. It's fitting that you mention Urban Jungle and Bear Canyon as problem areas,but another one arises: Northern Frontier. Clearly they're going for an Alaskan style area with Polar Bear Plunge but then suddenly there's random hoofstock. That's a piece of the puzzle I can't quite solve. I'm quite certain that area is going to go next due to the zoo's interest in ADA compliance,and that hill is far worse than the Cat Canyon hill was from memory.

5. The_UltimateBea

It be a tough sell to have a zoo without rhinos. I would maybe meld urban jungle into one African watering hole enclosure with rhino, giraffe and zebra as a compliment to Africa Rocks. Bear Canyon would include cheetah and expanded lion and jaguar enclosures. Black bears could move to old lion/jaguar cage, with reference to extinct short-faced bear. Kanagaroos could move to koalifornia boardwalk (what is that doing anyway?).

6. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Several years ago the Zoonooz mentioned that an African savanna would be developed at the zoo - this was before Elephant Odyssey, Outback, and Africa Rocks. It was assumed that they would likely transform the old Elephant Mesa into the savanna. Perhaps this will eventually happen.

7. Shellheart

Interesting. I seem to also remember a Children's Zoo renovation being mentioned for the centennial somewhere,sadly that obviously didn't happen. I don't know how an African Savanna exhibit at the Zoo would really fit to be honest. The Zoo is big on being complementary to the Safari Park,and I feel like the Safari Park has the whole savanna territory covered so well there's not much point to there being one at the Zoo.

8. The_UltimateBea

I bet the zoo will want to announce future plans soon after AR opens.

9. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Urban Jungle - Demolish everything within the area and make a new exhibit dubbed, "African Waterhole" with giraffes and antelope from the dusty paddocks across from Northern Frontier. Also make an adjacent habitat for cheetah within that area.
    Move Kangaroos to Australian Outback.
    Move artic wolfs to Northern Frontier.
    Phase out rhinos, flamingos and red river hogs in the area.
    Move clouded leopards and bearcats to (See below).

Bear Canyon - Covert it to an expansion of the already existing Sun Bear Forest. Add more Asian Primates, Asian otters, clouded leopards, bearcats and small nocturnal Asian animals.
    Move grizzly bears to Northern frontier, and phase out the other species.

10. The_UltimateBea

I have a feeling the zoo wil not want to phase out such a key staple like the rhino.

11. Shellheart

To be honest I don't think the rhinos are actually that big a crowd draw for San Diego. I sometimes see a small crowd around that exhibit but that's really only on the busy days. The top staples (for the San Diego Zoo specifically) seem to be gorillas,elephants,pandas,and koalas. Besides,a few other zoos survive fairly well without rhinos.

All that aside,the use of them for breeding (depending on their age) at the Safari Park is way more important, plus the quality of life at the Safari Park vs. the zoo for a rhino,at least,is unmatchable,and from a business-type perspective,it just gives people another reason to go to the Safari Park if they want to satisfy their love of rhinos.

pachyderm pro likes this.