Join our zoo community

What would you like to see...

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Ungulata, 13 May 2008.

1. Ungulata

Ungulata Active Member

Ok, wasn't sure where to stick this thread (so feel free to move it about moderators if its not where it should be)...

I was just interested, there are so many rare, endangered, or just downright intriguing animals that are perhaps not in zoos at the moment. I was thinking it would be a nice idea to see what people thought; what would you like to see in a zoo (for either conservation or just because you'd like to see one!)

Initially I thought; the Indri - am I right in thinking there have been attempts in the Americas to keep captive Indri that have failed miserably?... I still think it would be a fascinating experience to see one up close and personal...

Any thought?

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've never heard of Indri being kept in captivity anywhere..

3. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ten indris went to Paris in the first half of the 20th century, all died within a month. I read this somewhere years ago and can't remember any further details. No other indri has ever been outside madgascar afaik. Times have moved on and I would imagine that there would be more success these days.

They are kept and have bred at this sanctuary in Madagascar:
    Rare indri lemur born in forest reserve in Madagascar

4. Ungulata

Ungulata Active Member

@Pygathrix: I thought I had read that somewhere! I knew they had been kept but it failed horribly in other parts of the world...still no idea why I thought the zoo was in South America...still like you say things have moved on, let's hope they can start some international programmes (not to get over excited!)

You got any others you'd like to see in zoos?

5. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

@Ungulata: Sorry to be the usual spoil sport, but several very similar threads (what animals/ animal combinations You would like to see in a zoo, etc...)already exist.

6. Ungulata

Ungulata Active Member

Oops, see, this is a problem with being a new guy...not having the time to look through all the threads and see what's already been done.

My mistake for not having looked for such a thread already. I guess a moderator will delete this one or something :)

Sorry!