Join our zoo community

What zoo would you visit if you could only visit one zoo in your life?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Norwegian moose, 26 Jan 2014.

1. Norwegian moose

Norwegian moose Well-Known Member

If you could only visit one zoo in your life, what zoo would that be? I know that for many people it is unpossible to choose, but if you were going to chose only one, what zoo would you chose? I would think that most zoo-enthusiasts would visit a zoo with a large collection, but also good enclosures. The problem is that few zoos have both. Many people would maybe ignore these factors and would visit the zoo they have grown up with or the zoo they have visited the most. But most people, I think would maybe found it unpossible, since the good zoos they have visited numbers in the hundreds. I for my part would undoubtedly choose the San Diego Zoo, a zoo I have yet to visit, but from what I have heard can only be described as "fantastic" So now its up to you.....

2. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Eh, I haven't been to a ton of zoos so I can't say... It's been years since I've been to the Minnesota Zoo, but I remember it being amaaaaazing. The Houston Zoo, which I go to more regularly (whenever I visit my parents) is pretty great, and they've been adding a lot of stuff the past few years. The upcoming gorilla exhibit looks like it will be really good.

3. Hamerhaai

Hamerhaai Active Member 10+ year member

Monterey bay aquarium, definitely.

4. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Walsrode, it has so many birds I have never seen

5. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There are a couple of factors I'd like to have accounted for because I can even try to think about an answer:

- Can I only visit the zoo one single time, and after that, never visit any zoos again? Or can I visit the zoo numerous times as long as I don't visit other zoos? (As you may deduce - in the former case, I'd probably go by current collection and rare species, and the latter case, I'd go for an interesting and good development pace)

- Do I get free transportation to the zoo? I suppose I do since you, a Norwegian, chose an American zoo, but if I don't, I would stick to the zoos in my neighboring countries, but if I do, I would have to take Singapore, the U.S. and possibly Australia into my considerations...

6. Norwegian moose

Norwegian moose Well-Known Member

You can visit the selected zoo as many times as you want, but you cant visit more than the one. And you dont have to take transport in to consideration, you visit the zoo you want, no matter where it is situated.

7. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Honestly I think I'd take Henry Doorly Zoo. It seems extremely interesting already, and as far as I have heard (feel free to correct me, anyone), they have had many interesting projects in recent times. San Diego is definitely up there too, but some of their recent developments such as the Elephant Odyssey have been not so popular.

8. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

It would be either San Diego Zoo or Woodland Park Zoo. I've only been to WPZ once and I was 2 or 3. They seem to be on a path to building a great zoo...from what I know, it's pretty darn good already.

9. Blackduiker

Blackduiker Well-Known Member

The Bronx Zoo. I've read so many books on its history and background, which included photographs. These include photos from the turn-of-the-century to the present. Don't ask me to list a bibliography, many were as a young child visiting the library.

10. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

san diego zoo or longleat dont ask why

11. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

Put me down for San Diego, with Woodland Park Zoo a close second.

I may have to strongly consider Singapore as well after my first trip in... June.

12. Mikezoo12

Mikezoo12 Well-Known Member

Easy. The Bronx Zoo.

13. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

As I am visiting San Diego Zoo this year, the next highest on my zoo priority list is Walsrode, so I guess it will be there!

14. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

It shouldn't surprise anyone, San Diego, of course!

15. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

16. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What zoo.......

London Zoo in the 'bad old' stamp collecting days. Over and over again.

17. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Been to Sing Zoo a few times so would prob try San Diego.

18. hornbilly

hornbilly New Member

San Diego or Emmen Zoo in 2016

San Diego Zoo, of course, because of the large number of species and animals like dougs langur and giant panda, but in 2016 the new Emmen Zoo, the Netherlands, will open and when i look at their plans, i don't see a zoo, but an experience. ( look for belevenspark on google) . Although they won't have the giant panda's and koala's i would visit this zoo ( in 2016, today it's just a normal zoo)