Join our zoo community

Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden What's Gnu At The Cincinnati Zoo? - 2013

Discussion in 'United States' started by Kudu21, 3 Jan 2013.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There is absolutely no point in sending Harapan to Way Kambas when his older brother is the breeding male there- genetically its duplication, like using the same animal, while if the older male(Andalas) does not breed with the two other females, Harapan is unlikely to achieve anything either.

It seems the talk of AI or obtaining the Bornean male 'Kertam' for Cincinnati both seem to have fallen through? This may seem a dire situation(brother x sister mating) but as they say, in one generation its unlikely to prove harmful. 'Suci' badly needs to breed now, and Harapan seems her only current hope of doing so. He has more potential value staying at Cincinnati than moving to South east Asia.

Last edited: 22 Jul 2013
  2. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  3. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. Moebelle

5. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If you read carefully, you'd see they were referring to the Sumatran Rhino birth in Indonesia, not at Cincinnati.
    "After years of collaboration with partners in Southeast Asia, the U.S. Zoos celebrated with them when they produced their first calf in June 2012 in Indonesia, sired by a calf produced in Cincinnati."

6. zoolover123

zoolover123 Active Member

Does anyone know the best time to actually see the Sumatran Rhino out? I have never actually seen it out in the exhibit.

7. Moebelle

I've never had luck seeing either of them in the morning nor around 3 o clock to close. Just today though I saw Harry out at around 12. Suci prefers to stay inside and it's rare for her to come out.

8. Moebelle

The unidentified bird in the South America exhibit is a Southern Lapwing. I got to go into the Africa construction and noticed that they cut off some of the African Plains to make more room for the last phases. The new hill that was made in the black rhino exhibit is no longer there anymore.

9. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I went to the zoo on two separate days a couple weeks ago and arrived at the zoo around opening time the first day and an hour after the second day. The Sumatran Rhinos were visited first and I saw Harapan the first day and both rhinos the second day. A cool morning within the first hour and a half I would say is your best bet of seeing the rhinos.

~Thylo:cool:

10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I presume the Letter Campaign is aimed at heightening the species' profile politically and trying to bring some pressure to bear on the Indonesian government to bring a few more animals into captivity to widen the gene pool a bit, protect more adult rhinos and give them more chance of producing calves in said protected environment. To leave them all in the wild now seems just a way of counting down to their extinction.

At the recent 'crisis meeting' on the species, it was agreed that a programme of action would be taken over the next two years. However, there were no details of exactly what those actions entailed, so I still wonder what they are actually going to do.

11. ThylacineAlive

Happy 9th Birthday Suci!:)

12. Moebelle

The zoo has its 21st Zoo Baby! However, I can't tell what it was. It's either a potto, galago, or bamboo lemur. The entrance to the African building is closed off and so are those exhibits for privacy of the new mother.

The Jungle trails buildings are now just called Asian and African animals. Not "tropical". In the African building the zoo added a new life like snake statute across from the indoor sifaka exhibit. It scared a few visitors so much that they refused to pass it. The sifaka family is once again back outside. This is Bobby's first time being out there. I don't think they'll rotate them in and out with the colobus.

Last edited: 2 Aug 2013
  13. zoolover123

zoolover123 Active Member

Went to the zoo today. Got to see Harapan for the first time (pic posted in the gallery).
    Part of the Jungle Trails African building is still closed off from the birth.
    Africa is looking awesome with the description of parts IV and V having hippos, gazelle, zebras, African wild dogs, "birds from the region", and a crocodile according to the future map the zoo had posted for what it looks like.

Definitely one of the best zoos in the country.

14. Moebelle

My guess is that the baby is a galago. They breed them nearly every year and there was already a potto born in May. I don't ever recall a bamboo lemur being born at the zoo.

15. ThylacineAlive

16. Moebelle

Finally! Can't wait to see them Friday.

17. Moebelle

So I'm at the zoo right now and the warty pigs aren't even on exhibit.

18. Moebelle

And I was correct. The unknown baby primate is a galago.

19. Moebelle

Chester the spectacled bear's front, left leg was injured. I ran into Thane Maynard today and got to talk to him for a bit before he was going to do a voice over video for the new warty hog video (with a river hog behind him:D) and he said that the pigs will be permanently on exhibit starting Monday.

20. ThylacineAlive

Did he say anything on what happened to Chester? He probably hurt himself climbing in and out of his moat.