Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo whats so good about chester?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Coquinguy, 25 May 2007.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

'Spirit of the Jaguar' building.

The indoor exhibits in the 'Spirit of the Jaguar' building at Chester are actually quite good(my opinion, that is) I have never seen Jaguars exhibited in a desert-type setting before and to my mind its very realistic. The contrasting jungle exhibit on the other side is good too. Where I think it falls down a bit is the outdoor areas- the one on the 'desert' side looked like a field with long grass and a tall fence around it when I saw it. It seemed like an afterthought tagged onto the back of the building.. The other outside enclosure is more fancy with a big waterfall/rockwork etc and is quite a good spacious exhibit.

2. Pertinax

I'd be very surprised if they suddenly did a turnabout at this stage of the planning, after announcing it etc.

3. Pertinax

I thought it was good too. Adding Java Sparrows will make for some activity, as the Dragons aren't exactly the liveliest of creatures. I'd doubt they would bother trying to eat finches if they are well fed....

4. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

The zoo did try to grow tall grasses, but it didn't work. I saw the black jaguar yesterday and in the parst, I have seen Salvador, the younger male in the savvah section. It is breathtaking to see them up close. I saw the black one with it's head against the glas staring right at me.
    I have met a man who was hoping to see a jaguar in the wild. He went up to a man who was an expert with rainforest animals and asked whether it was a good Idea. He told him that he would regret it.
    They got to the rainforest and set up camp, excited to see a jaguar. After half an hour they wre just about to go to sleep when, they saw a spotted figure moving about in the jungle at around 4 miles away. It followed their scent all the way up to the camp site. Then when the male jaguar was staring him in the face he realised that the jungle expert was right!!

I have seen the dragons active. I saw one of the females outside and one swimming. Something I'd never seen before. I also saw the babies.

5. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

when i was in the amazon we stopped our small boat at a house to borrow up a rifle off a local family that was freinds of my guide. unfortunately the eldest son was out hunting in the jungle with it so we sat down by the river and waited.....and waited.... and waited....

until eventually, after the excitement of counting passing dolphins wore off i demanded we leave saying declaring that my girlfreind and i felt perfectly comfortable without a gun in our posession if he was cool with it..

so we left - much later than anticipated and after traversing down backwaters all afternoon we eventually reached our "campsite" - two days after leaving manaus.

that night, as i lay ever so still in my hammock , absolutely terrified as some creature went raided the supplies just a metre from my head - i wished oh so much i had waited for the gun...

during teh day i was oblivious, wandering off on my own whenever i felt like it. but at night-time after the fire burned out and we all slept - i would become terrified of jaguars..

6. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

back to the komodo dragons, for all of 2005 a robin lived inside the komodo dragon house at london. it managed to get in, everyone suspects, through the opening into the outdoor section which passed right under the visitor boarwalk. once inside it couldnt ge tout. but the dragons left it alone and it seemed perfectly happy, though i would of been surprised if it was still in there, im guessing the keepers would have caught it up and released it by now.

7. Writhedhornbill

A blue tit lived in the twilght zone at Chester zoo for a while. It only comes out at night. Well it's night out here but the house is on the reversed light thingy. so it's daytime in there.

8. Pertinax

sounds like a mixed up blue tit.;)

9. Writhedhornbill

Yes. I'm not sure whether it's still there....Could anyone enlighten us on the topic