Join our zoo community

Which Ungulates Are Rideable?

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by Sarus Crane, 15 Aug 2017.

1. overread

overread Well-Known Member

It stands to reason that certain animals would have been better suited to domestication over others and that those were selected by accident/intent/experimentation and thus worked upon. However I suspect that there's also an element of need. If you've already got your cattle/dog/horse/pig/whatever then chances are you don't, as a native person, feel a pressing need to go out and get more of the same from the wild to tame; especially as taming can come with a high risk.

So way-back the risks were even higher and the exchange of knowledge lower. So chances are many potentially viable species were overlooked once the process started. As a result today we've got breeds with thousands of generations of selective breeding against those without such a breeding history. So its easy to say that modern non-domestics are "too wild" when in actuality its more likely that they are just too wild at present. Of course how many generations it would take to domesticate would be up in the air for debate and might well vary on a lot of factors.

2. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

Yes: ancient Egypt shows many failed domesticates in addition to those that survived as familiar. But often domesticates do not spread where you would expect. Paleoindians of Otamid racial type are thought to have had fogs similar to the Carolina dogs but their Fuegian descendants had a local fox. So either Fuegians switched over or somehow lost New World domestic dogs beforehand.

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Aug 2017
  3. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just realized I wanna do this only with a big male Gaur!

How much bigger would a castrated male Gaur be than an intact Gaur? I read on San Diego Safari Park's blog a while ago that they have a castrated male. I've never seen an ox or team of oxen in person but would like to see a pulling competition some day. I read all about oxen in this book. It's really cool! I'd train the Gaur using it's techniques. I got my edition in 2008 so the cover looks different.
    Oxen: A Teamster's Guide by Drew Conroy (paperback) - Tillers International

4. Sarus Crane

Apparently, Cape Buffalo are able to be semi-domesticated with time and patience. Here's a fascinating documentary about a man's quest to save the disease free Cape Buffalo in South Africa. It's called "Buffalo Warrior".

5. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wouldn't dispute that argument but GGS is a highly flawed book.

6. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Honestly I don't know enough about that field to talk about it knowledgeably, but I thought a lot of what he said made sense. There were a couple of points where it seemed like he had made some jump that wasn't reasonable though. I'd like to know your thoughts.

7. overread

overread Well-Known Member

Whilst I've not read the book in my experience when authors/writers make large leaps of logic or miss out chunks of information it can be for several reasons.

Most often I see it because they've learned something at the casual/adhock/in the field level. Ergo they've learned a subject to a particular depth and that depth might only be at a functional day-to-day level or they've learned theories/concepts that are taught/passed on at the early level.

The problem there is that many subjects often get simplified at that stage so that the information is more directly easy to understand. However it often glosses over, misses or even gets some more complex underlying fundamentals wrong.

As such it can cause all kinds of confusion because those who do know the subject to a greater depth can see the errors and problems; whilst those who don't can typically follow the logic along and agree with the author (or put into basic practice what the author says).

Personally I still hold the view that more species are capable of being domesticated than currently are, but that historically there was simply no need when there were already better established domestics to make use of. Fast forward to today and there's simply no pressure to domesticate them beyond the pet market which is frightfully fickle and jumpy as to what is "popular" so there's no long term interest.

8. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I believe you're thinking of Sir Anthony Wingfield's private zoo at Ampthill House in Bedfordshire. (Wingfield was President of the Amateur Menagerie Club.)

Also on the subject of rideable ungulates:

The cover picture of the book "Ride a Rhino" (Michaela Denis; 1959) features the author, Michaela Denis, riding the Indian rhinoceros "Mohan" at Whipsnade.

Last edited: 16 May 2018
  9. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

And I’ve just found a snippet of film, taken at Wingfield’s zoo. featuring people riding various animals including ostriches, zebras, llamas, bulls and even a pig!

See link below

Animal Rides at Wingfield's Ampthill Zoo

FBBird and Shorts like this.
  10. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Guns Germs and Steel makes interesting points but it's been torn apart in the history community for the author's tendency to follow bad scholarship.

11. Sarus Crane

I found a video on YT of someone who tried to ride a Gaur at a safari park. The Gaur's name is/was Diesel.

12. Leaf Productions

Leaf Productions Well-Known Member

What a no-life, he can't even handle 200 pounds on his back - what an awful Gaur.

13. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is the funniest thread I have ever seen.

birdsandbats and Sarus Crane like this.