Join our zoo community

Which Zoo Do I Visit Next?

Discussion in 'United States' started by EsserWarrior, 9 Aug 2018.

1. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So I'm trying to plan out my zoo trip for next summer, but I'm really struggling to find out what zoo I'd like to visit.

I've been thinking about going to the Smithsonian National Zoo, but now I'm not so sure.

For reference, I've visited these "major zoos": Cincinnati Zoo, Henry Doorly Zoo, Memphis Zoo, Zoo Atlanta, Brookfield Zoo, and the Minnesota Zoo. (As well as the Milwaukee County Zoo, if that counts.)

I was wondering if I could get some help choosing a zoo from the higher-scaled zoo experts here. ;)

2. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

So there are a lot of factors that I take into account when plotting a trip: how are you getting there (flight/car), how long of a trip, how many zoos do you want to see etc. Then there's also the minor detail of if you have any specific interests to see at a zoo?
    The National Zoo is an excellent choice, and it's located not too far away from many other zoos that can make for a good visit such as the Virginia Zoo in Norfolk, Philadelphia Zoo, and even the Bronx Zoo.
    Two absences that jump out at me from your list are Columbus and Bronx. From Columbus you can also quickly get to zoos such as Cleveland, Toledo and Detroit.

3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As @m30t says we need to know if you are driving or flying and how long you have.

EsserWarrior likes this.
  4. EsserWarrior

Driving, but possibly flying depending on how far away it is.

Also, the time we spend there really isn't a problem. My family would most likely only want to see one zoo. The only combo they would probably do would be like a San Diego Zoo + Safari Park deal.

5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The world-class Saint Louis Zoo is only a five and a half hour drive from Madison.

I visited for the first time this summer and must say, it is amazing.

EsserWarrior likes this.
  6. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

National is a great choice, it is free, has a great collection, is easily accessible via subway, and flights to DC are pretty cheap if you do not drive. Other areas pretty nearby to consider would be Detroit, I have not been but have heard good things about the zoo there; also maybe Pittsburgh has the zoo and aviary. Philadelphia is a nice zoo, and has a lot of other historic sights worth seeing while there.

EsserWarrior and StoppableSan like this.
  7. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Visiting Washington, D.C. in summer is a special kind of experience. How much do you love heat and humidity? :p Head north. Anyplace North

8. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was in DC last summer and we just skipped the zoo due to the feels like being 103 degrees. I live farther south in NC, yet DC seems to be less tolerable during the summer. I love the national zoo, just had to look out for the rest of the family in that weather.

EsserWarrior and StoppableSan like this.
  9. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yep, it’s humid here. It’s almost like the zoo has two rainforest exhibits: one is Amazonia and one is the rest of the zoo! Shame the second half is almost all geographically incorrect :p

TZDugong, EsserWarrior and Andrew_NZP like this.
  10. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was there at the end of July and beginning of August three years ago. It was warmish, but fine. I guess you all need an Australian summer to toughen up and learn how to cope with heat.*

*You can keep your god-awful snow, though, that stuff is COLD!!!!!

pachyderm pro, TZDugong, m30t and 3 others like this.
  11. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If you are able to fly then San Diego might be the logical choice. Some people consider it the best zoo in the United States, as heatedly debated in this recent thread: San Diego Zoo - San Diego: The Perfect Zoo? .
    Weather is very nice but it is a popular summer destination which means hotel prices are higher. You can stay downtown and take bus to zoo (or even walk from a couple hotels if you don't mind going about a mile and part of it uphill). The airport is near downtown (ten minute bus ride) and downtown is on a lovely bay. Several other museums in the very attractive Balboa Park which is where the zoo is. You would need a car to get to Safari Park, but could do a one day rental and save money. I will also note if you go in second half of summer the zoo is open until 9pm, a fantastic way to see it.

EsserWarrior likes this.
  12. EsserWarrior

I'd really like to visit the Philadelphia Zoo too. But San Diego and D.C. are also high up on the list. I'd really like to visit San Diego once they got platypus, whenever that is going to happen.

13. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd rather visit in summer, than once school starts up ;)

My vote would be for St. Louis, as well. I haven't been but it's high on my list. It's free. There's also nearby Grant's Farm, which has some animals along with stuff for kids to do, and there's lots of family-friendly things to do around town, many of which are cheap/free as well.

I'm currently trying to decide on what zoo to visit since I have an airline voucher, and the list of possibilities is almost exactly the same as the list of zoos you've visited, haha.

14. EsserWarrior

I've been browsing Saint Louis's species lists, they've got some species that I'd really like to see:

(Some of them are species I've seen before but not well, or I have not see them at all, or I've been to zoos that have them but didn't see them on my visit.)

Mammals
    Giant Anteater
    Andean Bear
    Bush Dog
    Kinkajou
    African Wild Dog
    Spotted Hyena
    Tasmanian Devil
    Addax
    Babirusa
    Banteng
    Central Chinese Goral
    Gerenuk
    Soemerring's Gazelle
    Speke's Gazelle
    Sichuan Takin
    Transcaspian Urial
    Allen's Swamp Monkey
    Black Lemur
    Chimpanzee (I've surprisingly rarely seen them.)
    Coquerel's Sifaka
    Francois Langur
    Mongoose Lemur
    Spectacled Langur
    Western Lowland Gorilla (I've seen them many times, but they are the greatest.)
    Matschie's Tree-Kangaroo
    Tammar Wallaby
    Mexican Hairy Porcupine
    Echidna??

Birds
    Sarus Crane
    Blue Crane
    White-Naped Crane
    + Other Birds

Reptiles
    Malayan Gharial
    Cuban Crocodile
    + Other Reptiles

15. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, they have echidnas. The echinas, tree kangaroos, and Tasmanian Devils can only be seen in the Children's Zoo, which normally has an extra fee but is free for the first hour of the zoo's opening. However, they didn't have Tammar Wallabies or Mexican Hairy Porcupine during my visit in June. Wonder if they actually have them.

Away from mammals, birds, and herps, STL has an excellent invert collection.

EsserWarrior likes this.
  16. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If this is possible, I’d definitely recommend a San Diego trip. Also, how long will this trip be? You could certainly spend a week in San Diego visiting the Zoo, Safari Park, SeaWorld and possibly renting a car to see the Los Angeles Zoo, Aquarium of the Pacific, The Living Desert, and possibly a few others.

17. EsserWarrior

My parents would only go to one facility, or possibly a pair in a San Diego Zoo + Safari Park situation. The trip can differ in length depending on what we all do.

I've been trying to convince them to leave the country and possibly go to Europe and visit Berlin, but they don't want to leave the United States. :/

Saint Louis is really calling my name, but I wonder if I can convince my parents to go to two zoos. Possibly Saint Louis, due to it being close, and then somewhere else.

StoppableSan and TZDugong like this.
  18. Dyl0526

Dyl0526 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would suggest southwick's zoo they have the only Vicuñas in the US and 1 of 4 of the african leopards in the US. It's a one of my favorites.

19. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Southwicks isn’t exactly the most impressive place out there and a single rare species doesn’t change that. Considering he’s flying, he might as well take in a truly impressive major facility like Saint Louis or the national zoo.

If you want to go north, Detroit could fill that gap, but I wouldn’t be too suprised if your parents aren’t up for heading to a city that has a bit of a reputation, despite the zoo being great. Saint Louis is certainly where I would go, as it’s already a great zoo on its own, combine that with the hospitable weather and possible combo with a smaller attraction such as Grants Farm, the world aquarium or the endangered wolf center and you have yourself a very solid trip. But that’s just my two cents.

Have a fun vacation either way :).

TZDugong likes this.
  20. EsserWarrior

I was hesitant with Southwick's Zoo, but then I researched it a little more and realized that it actually is a nice zoo. It not being part of the AZA gave me my doubts. I don't see it as being my destination though.

My parents agreed we'd go to Saint Louis Zoo earlier in 2019, then go somewhere in the summer that would be further away.

I'm really thinking either the Smithsonian's National Zoo or San Diego Zoo and Safari Park, but I'm not sure. I'd really like to explore more options.

Last edited: 15 Aug 2018