Join our zoo community

Which Zoo/Safari Park?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Rob, 9 Jun 2009.

1. Rob

Rob New Member

Hi there, i'm looking for a bit advice for going to a zoo/safari park down in the south east, which of these would people recommend?

I've been to all of them as a child, but can't really remember which was which or which I enjoyed more. This is for a group of about 8-10 of us all late teens or early 20's for a full day out, not a romantic couply thing.

Paradise Wildlife Park
    Woburn Safari Park
    Whipsnade Animal Park
    London Zoo

It's very difficult to figure out what the difference is between them just from the websites and brochures (other than London Zoo obviously which isn't a park in the same way as the others).

Whipsnade and Woburn look like they're probably better. Obviously I want to avoid one which is very child orientated, more suitable for big children :D

We don't mind alot of walking or big grounds, as we're hoping it will be a nice day.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Also, Colchester Zoo has been recommended, but that's twice the distance (a little over an hour away compared to half an hour away), is it so good that it's worth it?

2. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

I'd suggest Whipsnade.

It's not particularly child-orientated so it would be ok for your age groups and it has most of the "popular animals" (elephants, rhinos, lions, tigers, chimps etc). It is massive though so be prepared for some walking (or you could take your car in for an extra fee).

3. Rob

Rob New Member

Thanks for the advice, am I right in thinking Whipsnade doesn't let you drive around and have the animals climb all over your car (monkey's etc), but Woburn does?

4. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Whipsnade has a drive through Asian deer enclosure, apart from that you have to get out of the car to se the exhibits properly. There is no car access to the penguins or hippos at Whipsnade.

5. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

Yes, that's right. Woburn is a drive-through safari park (with other walk around areas as well), whereas at Whipsnade you can park your car and walk around the park (apart from the drive-in part already mentioned).

I have been to both this year and would say that Whipsnade is probably most suitable for you :)

6. Rob

Rob New Member

Thanks alot for the help. Has anyone ever been to the "Zoo Nights" at Whipsnade? I was planning on going on Friday 3rd July and it's a lucky coincidence that the Zoo Nights is on the same day, however you have to pay a second entrance fee for it, would anyone recommend it as being worth the extra fee?

7. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

if i were you, stuff them and go to port lympne, but other than that go whipsnade

8. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

However Rob wants to visit a place that is reasonably close to his location. PL would be about an hour and a half away (according to Google maps) whereas Whipsnade is only half an hour away

9. Rob

Rob New Member

Ay, location is quite important. But if you can offer an exceptional reason as to why Port Lympne would be better, i'd be all ears.

10. Cat-Man

Biggest collection of black rhino in captivity, anywhere.

Malay Tapirs

Biggest Gorillaarium (palace of the apes)

Sifaka

African Expericane

Barbary Lions

2 tiger subspecies

Clouded leopards

snow leopards

cheetah

bison

pure water buffalo

massive deer park

elephant breeding santuary

loads of small cats

african and asian wild dogs

wolves

11. zebedee101

zebedee101 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Just my opinion but Paradise would be bottom of my list compared to the others. A good collection but the smallest of your list and would be hard to spend a full day unless everyone in the group is a zoo freak. Probably the most kid orientated with playground and paddling pool from memory.

12. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

Whipsnade would certainly be my choice, Its breathtaking place in the evening when seeing the lions on their hill looking over to the Oryx and the white rhinos etc.Its a very peaceful place and houses loads of animals including most big species.
    Definately worth a visit and i agree with Cat-Man Port Lympne is also worth a visit and so is Howletts its sister park which i found quite a bit better :)
    All include the big animals Ele's,Tigers,Rhinos etc but if you like primates and cats Howletts and Port Lympne are good for you!

13. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The biggest black rhino collection outside of Africa shared between Howletts and Port Lympne, its not just Port Lympne.

The African experience is a good trip, but it is an extra charge. It basically takes you around a large field home to various African hoofstock, it is worth a visit.

There is no Elephant breeding sanctuary yet, they are planning to set one up.

14. Cat-Man

no, they have already set one up, just no breeding as of now

15. karenZOO

karenZOO Well-Known Member

Whipsnade I think :) (we are going Saturday again lol)

Woburn is very good to but not good if you are all in separate cars etc

I also enjoyed London but was a bit to crowded after the vast expanse of Whipsnade

Paradise have some (dare I say it) white lion cubs at the moment and the snow leopard is due to give birth any day as well as the jaguar (? I have been told) although Paradise is not such a 'full' day out as Whipsnade or the others.

16. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

Whipsnade as ive said before i think would be perfect for you Rob, Paradise have got White Lions Cubs born to Thabo and Kya and are called Rudi and Aphrodite
    Geri Halliwell adopts two lion cubs a pride parent at Paradise Wildlife Park, Hertfordshire. | Showbiz | News Of The World
    Dont entriely agree with celebirtys in with new cubs though :/ youll find paradise is abit like that - no offense ment!
    Jaguar's im not sure cubs are due as when i went last time they said their male Aries wasnt paying much attention to Athena because he was handreared - This may be wrong so please correct me if it is! ;)
    Hope this is useful.

17. karenZOO

karenZOO Well-Known Member

Lol :D The one on the left looks sooooo pleased

18. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No they don't, i don't know why you feel the need to argue with me.

Yes, they have the facilities but they cant have a breeding sanctuary until they have some animals that they are going to breed with :rolleyes:

Please get your facts right before you post, i was there a few weeks back and unless a new herd of breeding elephants has suddenly arrived i'm pretty sure there is no breeding sanctuary as of yet.

19. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm glad the cubs have less idiotic names than the daughter.