Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo Whipsnade Lions

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Marios, 15 Dec 2010.

1. Marios

Marios Member

I wanted to ask about the lions at Whipsnade zoo. I recently visited and saw 6-7 lions. Can someone tell me more info on them? I read somewhere that cubs were born in 2006. Are these cubs still there? Aren't they a bit old to still be with parents? Isn't there danger of inbreeding?
    Even if they are on birth control, is it ok for 4 year old male lions to be near their father?
    Thanks for any replies
    Marios

2. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

I believe the names and DOBs of the lions are as follows:

Mashaka-Lila (f) born 2000
    Kachanga (f) born 2000
    Spike (m) born 2002
    Kia (f) born 2006
    Kato (m) born 2006
    Tato (m) born 2006
    Max (m) born 2006

I will leave it for someone more knowledgeable to answer your other questions :)

3. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

The original 3 members the two girls(Mashaka-Lila and Kachanga) along with the male(Spike) came from WMSP In 2005.
    Regards Jordan.

4. Paulkarli08

Paulkarli08 Well-Known Member

The 3 male cubs are all castrated, so have lost their manes. In castrating them, it allows them to stay within the pride, without having a direct threat to their father.

The females are either on a long term contraceptive, or the adult male has been vasectomised. There is no need to breed any more from the pride, Whipsnade only wanted to breed to enhance their own numbers. The original trio, and now subsequent cubs are generic zoo lions of no real conservational value besides as an educational tool.