Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo Whipsnade zoo 2016

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Max Blundell, 1 Jan 2016.

1. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

God, sometimes it's hard to be a cheerleader for ZSL much as I love it.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Oh no, not another....This is clearly something that the Aspinall Parks and ZSL now will have in common. Maybe they can compare notes.

3. ajmcwhipsnade

ajmcwhipsnade Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I know everyone will knock this, and to be honest I am not overjoyed that Whipsnade will go down the route of having animatronic dinosaurs on show but dinosaurs are very popular with kids (tbh I have never been that interested!) and they do play a very important part in how the animals we love in zoos today developed and evolved.

I know they can often be tacky but don't know it until you see it. I am not saying it will be good (probably wont be) but during the summer I can see it being a big hit for people who enjoy that type of thing...mainly kids.

Admittedly in an ideal world I would have liked Whipsnade to not touch animatronic dinosaurs.

4. anidude

anidude Well-Known Member

i wonder where they will be put

5. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Nowhere would be best!

6. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Glad I'm not the only one that doesn't see a dinosaur display as the first sign of the Zoo Apocalypse!

They're variable in quality (Blackpool's permanent ones are ghastly - the ones at Amersfoort and West Mids are among the best dino models I've seen) but done right, they are zoological, educational, and visitor-friendly.

And they're *fun* - in a much more zoo-appropriate way than wet play areas, carousels or panning for (fool's) gold (for example).

Would I rather a few new species of mammal instead? Of course.

Does this news upset me? Not at all.

7. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If you don't like the idea then why not say so without trying to defend ZSL.... Again!!

8. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

One could argue that Whipsnade already has a (permanent) dinosaur experience: Birds of the World!

9. Maguari

In fairness, 'I wouldn't have done this but I can see why they did' is a perfectly valid viewpoint.

:D

Not to mention the penguin pool and owl wood!

10. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

11. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Exactly - not my cup of tea either but they are very popular with families who do make for a greater demographic than we do, therefore they bring in money which they have to do. Also, its not like they don't have the space to have them temporarily, they're not going out of species to accommodate them as far as I'm aware - I don't see the problem - just imagine the uproar if these were going to London!

12. ajmcwhipsnade

I don't ever defend the ZSL for no reason, my views on the ZSL are always what I honestly believe. That is just my own opinion on the matter.

And as others have said, Dinosaurs are extremely popular with regular zoo goers then hard core zoo enthusiasts just look at how popular the Jurassic Park movies are. Personally for me I will not be that interested in the dinosaurs but I know others will be, and I have quite a few young cousins who will probably love it.

Besides if you don't like it you don't have to go and see it, just skip that part of the zoo.

13. ajmcwhipsnade

Exactly, some find them fun...not everyone but a lot of people do.

14. zooman64

zooman64 Well-Known Member

I don't like them, nor do I think animatronic dinosaurs are especially educational. Zoos should be all about living animals. They should be about trying to educate people about more recent man-made extinctions, not having things like this. That said, I do concede dinosaurs are popular with families (can't understand the appeal myself), so as long as they're only there temporarily, I can tolerate them. And at least at Whipsnade, because it's so big, they shouldn't seem all-pervading. Bring them in for one season if they must to raise the profile of the park and generate funds - and then get rid of the damn things pretty sharpish.

15. Maguari

Don't forget even the Natural History Museum uses animatronic dinosaurs!

The next part of this post is from the Department of Things I Never Thought I'd Say...

If you want to see a good educational dinosaur exhibit in a zoo, go to the West Midland Safari Park.

It's really very good -the signage is excellent and there are displays of fossils and suchlike alongside the robots.

16. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Interesting you think it is the best. I was pleasantly surprised too. It was in fact the first one I've ever seen and knowing West Mids is a very commercial organisation, I approached with some sceptisism. But in fact I visited it twice and thought, well this is certainly very well done and educational...maybe Dino displays aren't so bad after all.

I think if others aren't to this high standard though, that is a pity. Also I think the placement within the Zoo/park is important- West Mids display is in an area with many other non-animal and/or covered attractions and situated away from most of the larger animal enclosures/displays. I think having typical large mammal enclosures and Dinosaurs located close together might indeed detract from the living animal displays though on the other hand it invites comparison too.

I still find it rather strange to think of a more 'purist' establishment like Whipsnade going down this route, but I hope the models will at least be of the standard of the West Mids ones and not 'tacky'.... Does anyone know whereabouts Whipsnade's will be situated? (apologies if posted already but can't see it anywhere)

17. anidude

whipsnade have a new species of turtle on display i think its in the old crocodile enclosure species unknown at a guess id say snapping turtle

18. anidude

do whipsnade still have the african lions also are they keeping londons old pride or will london be having two prides mainly asked through curiosity

19. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, Whipsnade Zoo still has African Lions still headed up by male Spike. As far as I am aware Whipsnade still have Ruby, Heidi and Indi but they should be going to ZSL London Zoo very soon. They will be joined by a male and another female from India. I imagine they will all live together as 1 pride.

20. anidude

thank you magpiegoose