Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo Whipsnade zoo 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Max Blundell, 1 Jan 2017.

1. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Correct-mostly fencing modification. Ha-ha's are being created around the White rhino paddock.

Update on the elephant barns: deep sand flooring and 4 large oak trees have now been installed within the new barn. Tentative opening is mid-April.

2. ajmcwhipsnade

ajmcwhipsnade Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On interesting, any idea why Ha-ha's are being created? Or is it just a general smarted up of the paddock?

3. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I went to Whipsnade today; my first visit of 2017.

The sign wasn’t very informative so it is not a surprise you don’t remember it. The notice didn’t provide any details, it merely read:-

We are currently carrying out essential maintenance work to the white rhinos outside enclosure. If you are unable to see the white rhinos outside, they can be viewed inside their indoor house. “

Incidentally I have visited Whipsnade literally several hundred times; today was probably the first time I’ve been and not seen any muntjac at all.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. ajmcwhipsnade

That's funny, when I went last month it was the first time in years that I had seen one!

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Incidentally, does the old barn have the same flooring system and attributes?

6. Tim May

Interesting. I definitely saw at least one muntjac on each of my visits last year although, admittedly, in far fewer numbers than in earlier years.

There was one bold muntjac that I saw several times inside the male Indian rhino’s indoor accommodation; he would steal the food from right under the rhino’s nose. (Obviously I cannot be certain that it was the same individual on every occasion but it seems a reasonable assumption that it was the same one.)

7. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Around the elephant car park and the Indian Rhino houses seem to be the best place to see the muntjac; there's clearly been a reduction over time but (for me at least) they were always harder to find than the mara, wallabies or water deer.

8. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I often see one near the Bongo House or across the road from it. It was there 2 weeks ago.

9. Tim May

Agreed. There are far fewer muntjac than there are wallabies, mara or Chinese water deer; this, coupled with the fact that they tend to be more secretive than the other free ranging species anyway, means they are less frequently seen; however yesterday was the first time I have never encountered at least one.

Agreed also; I normally see a muntjac near the entrance to the Bongo House. I looked for it yesterday with no luck.

10. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I usually saw them in the scrubby area between the wisent and the old wolf enclosure, often near the visitor gateway, surprisingly close to the visitor path.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The hunting dog exhibit will open on April 1st (seriously!) whilst the zoo's Centre for Elephant Care will officially be opened on April 11th.

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would not be surprised that they are less visible than say water deer and are more nocturnal in nature.

For what it is worth: the distribution of muntjac in the UK is stable and in fact expanding to mid England and Northern Ireland (firsts ...).

13. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Anyone who has visited recently, how open is the Discovery Centre? Last time I visited you could get inside to see the saki monkeys, matamatas, tortoise and Utila spiny-tailed iguana, is this still the case?

14. Max Blundell

Max Blundell Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I went to Whipsnade on Monday and the Discovery centre was the same.

15. Evo

Evo Active Member

Could someone tell me where the nile lechwe, Elk, Gibbons and Przewalski's wild horse's are kept? (sorry if you see this as offtopic)

16. ajmcwhipsnade

The Nile Lechwe I think are in the paddock next to the café & lake, the Elk are opposite the old Wolf enclosure (new African Hunting Dog area) near the Giraffes, the Gibbons I think are off show and the Przewalsk's Wild Horse are in a paddock that can only really been seen from the Passage thru asia, although there is a little viewing area near the Sloth bears.

Hope this helps!!!

17. ShonenJake13

@ajmcwhipsnade has it mostly right, the Nile lechwe are in a paddock next door to the gemsbok, that can be viewed from the red panda and otter enclosures, and from the path between the pelican/waterfowl lake and the flamingos. It's an all-female herd.
    The Eurasian elk are in paddocks between the giraffes and the African hunting dogs, they can be seen from by the chimpanzee island or from the road between the giraffes and the otter enclosure. Couple of males and a female I believe.
    The gibbons are indeed offshow and will be moving back to London this year, where they will go back onshow.
    The Przewalski's wild horses do have best viewing from inside Passage thru Asia, though the viewpoint onto the camel and yak paddock near the sloth bears does allow limited viewing. This is a small breeding herd, so keep an eye out for the younger individuals!

18. Evo

Evo Active Member

Is this the ostrich paddock?

19. ShonenJake13

It is indeed.

20. BongoHardwood

BongoHardwood Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The lechwe are actually now in the paddock behind the kudu/impala where the male kudu was previously.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2017