Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo Whipsnade Zoo 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Panthera1981, 22 Jan 2018.

1. monster

monster Well-Known Member

Ina the big female with the deformed head? she is dead. there was also a young calf died and i think an adult male. I think with the 2 other deaths you mentioned that would leave 1.4 but I can try to check for you.

Kifaru Bwana and Pertinax like this.
  2. robert everett

robert everett Well-Known Member

Rather strange question and quite unlikely but what are the chances of introducing another young female elephant to the herd since only Donna and Karishma can breed at the moment and in the future?

3. monster

monster Well-Known Member

where would you get one from?

4. robert everett

Another U.K. zoo possibly, I don’t know?

5. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Unlikely indeed! The future of the herd revolves around Karishma, Donna and Elizabeth. Donna is currently pregnant.

I believe there was an attempt to acquire one of the Twycross cows, but the zoo wouldnt bite unless Whipsnade took the entire group.

6. robert everett

Shame would be nice to have another breeding cow that can have calves at the moment, they will have to catch up Chester on the baby front

7. Rosie183

Rosie183 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Rather strange question and quite unlikely but what are the chances of introducing another young female elephant to the herd since only Donna and Karishma can breed at the moment and in the future?
    They need to change emmett in my opinion,and one suggestion is swap him with with the woeburn safari park bull rajan who is the father of Donna calf,
    And least then he can naturally mate when old enough with Elizabeth and Donna, and karishma instead of having to use AI .

8. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Isn't Karishma ex-Twycross anyway?

9. Rosie183

Rosie183 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes she is, but they couldn’t handle her behaviour, so they offered to move her to breed,

10. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I did wonder if she was moved because of friction in the group.

11. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

If my memory serves me right, when she was still very young at Twycross, a keeper told me that they wondered if she was deaf because she didn't react to commands.

Pertinax likes this.
  12. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Increasing a herd of elephants through the introduction of a young female from another zoo is an outdated practice and I very much hope this will never happen again at Whipsnade!! Female elephants form incredibly close bonds with their (maternal) family members in their birth herds, and bringing a new, young female to Whipsnade means breaking up the family of said individual. This is against the EAZA recommendations. Additionally, it is a recipe to cause problems within the recieving herd, since unrelated female elephants often never bond with each other and become increasinly hostile/ incompartible. Whipsnade already has too many unrelated elephants in ther herd; they should concentrate on breeding with the females they already have and keeping the daughters with their family. And they should exchange Emmet, so that his daughter can breed naturally ASAP.

13. robert everett

I’ve heard some bad story’s about woburns elephant management so hope Emmett would not move there

Last edited by a moderator: 14 Jul 2018
  14. anidude

anidude Well-Known Member

Apache the bald eagle was eurhanized after not responding to treatment sad news aa she was a long term favourite

15. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

A subsidised, direct bus from Luton train station to Whipsnade will be running during the summer holidays. https://www.zsl.org/zsl-whipsnade-zoo/visitor-information/directions

Giant Panda and Tim May like this.
  16. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

17. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Getting to it

18. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Many thanks for posting this useful information.

For many years, I used to travel to Whipsnade at least eight times annually via a bus from outside Hemel Hempstead railway station; frustratingly, that bus service was axed last year.

More recently, I have been going by bus from outside St. Albans railway station. Unfortunately, that service has now stopped running too, apart from on Saturday, when the last bus on Saturday now leaves Whipsnade so early in the afternoon that it is impossible to have a full day there.

I'm pleased to know about the new summer holiday bus service from Luton; sadly, though, that leaves forty-six weeks of the year without a good bus service to Whipsnade.

Last edited: 18 Jul 2018
    Crowthorne and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  19. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And for a major zoo in the country and for sustainability sake's a crying shame.

Tim May likes this.
  20. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A major zoo in a country that has never really got to grips with public transport. It always amazes me how common metro systems are on the continent and how fast and efficient trams are, here in the UK PT is dire and for most people buses are the only form of PT available, the services are expensive, unreliable and inconvenient.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.