Join our zoo community

Why doesn't Albany, NY area have a zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by Screvier20, 27 Jul 2011.

1. Screvier20

Screvier20 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Why doesn't the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area have a zoo when all other large cities in New York State have zoos. NYC the Bronx Zoo, Central Park Zoo, Prospect Park Zoo, Queens Zoo, and Staten Island Zoo. Buffalo as the Buffalo Zoo. Binghamton as the Binghamton Zoo at Ross Park. Syracuse as the Rosamond Gifford Zoo. Rochester as the Seneca Park Zoo. Utica as the Utica. But the State capital does not. Albany-Schenectady-Troy area is home about 850,000 people more than Utica or Binghamton areas

2. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

Maybe you should start one :)

3. fkalltheway

fkalltheway Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Don't forget The New York State Zoo in Watertown. I definitely think that the capital region needs its own zoo. There was talk of building an "Aquarium of the Adirondacks" in Queensbury but I haven't heard anything about that recently.

4. Screvier20

Only thing that came close to a for the capital region was the Catskill Game Farm but was 56 miles away and adirondack animal land in gloversville is too small and too far away. We need a real zoo maybe like the size of the utica zoo in or close to one of the three cities that make up the capital region.

5. Screvier20

If you build zoo in New York State's capital region where would you build. I'm thinking best would be locations are the site of the old alco plant in Schenectady or maybe in Colonie. I like see a zoo in of the three cities. The alco plant in Schenectady as problems because its on the river and possible clean up from the old plant but 60 acres of land. Colonie right in the central of the capital region but think location in one of cities is best.

6. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My partner and I have often wondered this myself. But still, the state of NY has quite a few zoos. I wish Maryland had some more that I could visit, but at least I have the Maryland Zoo and Smithsonian Zoo.

7. Screvier20

A good place to built a zoo capital region is in Schenectady's central park. Large parts of park are undeveloped and are good size for zoo between 10 15 and maybe 20 acres in size.