Join our zoo community

Why is there no forum for India?

Discussion in 'India' started by Psittacologist, 4 Aug 2008.

1. Psittacologist

Psittacologist Member

I am surprised not to see India featured in any of the forums? Many of India's zoos are better than Malaysia's and even Singapore's!

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi Psittacologist,

First of all welcome to the forum. Please leave an introduction in the general section so other forumsters know who they are dealing with. I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

I suppose we do not have many forumsters from the Asian region anyhow, which I personally find sad and lacking. So, often these zoos are undervalued and underrepresented simply because we do not have forumsters from these countries at all. Rather, the individual and admittedly subjective experiences of those forumsters that have been lucky enough to travel to the Indian subcontinent or SE Asia.

However, on the point of India's zoos being better than those in Malaysia or Singapore ... you are treading a thin line.

Indian zoos have only recently discovered masterplanning or collection planning exercises and conservation breeding programmes do not function properly yet (admittedly a federalist system and a bureacratic approval system from CZA do not help matters amongst other things).

Zoos in Malaysia and Singapore are far more developped in this respect and have concurrently running scientific conservation ex situ and in situ work on offer. India's zoos are far removed from that stage: e.g. the Bengal tiger does not even have a coordinated breeding programme in the subcontinent, whereas the species is now less secure in the wild then it has ever been since the proclamation of India as a republic independent from the UK.

I would like to confer with you on the subject and do urge our moderators to open an Indian zoo forum for us to provide input. I also urge my co-forumsters to be more open to the local perspective on things and for this we need you and other interested zoo friends in the subcontinent to correspond, write about their zoos and provide details of new animals, comings and goings.

Love to hear more from you!

Jelle

3. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi Psittacologist, firstly welcome to zoobeat.

Indian zoos, l think many people as l did might have the view. That a zoo in India is going to be appaling! After more than 20 visits to Delhi l decided it was time to visit Delhi zoo. I was not going to go because of preconciecved ideas. Formed from visiting zoos in Malaysia and surronding countries.

I was very suprised by Delhi zoo. To hear that Carl Hangbeck was one of the designers involved was the reason l finally went.

Delhi zoo definatley has its problems such as the gibbon exhibit absouletley inadequate!
    Yet many of the cats including lions had very spacious exhibits compared to many so called good zoos.The elephant yard was of reasonable size as well.

Although the off exhibit/night quarters of the primates seemed very out of date. The use of the moated islands with climbing structures was comendable.

Please bring on your pictures and reviews/comments on Indias zoos.

Look forward to hearing them. Also about Mysore zoo with indias only gorilla. Not sure where butt l belive india is about to allocate land to build a brand new zoo. This could really place India on the world zoo map.

With a undersatnding of the bureaquacy of India it will be very interesting to follow the development of the new zoo.

4. Psittacologist

Psittacologist Member

Hi Jelle

Hi Jelle

May be I jumped the gun sorry. A few Indian zoos, ok let me be more specific- The Hyderabad zoo is better than the Penang bird park, and in many ways the two zoo/bird park of singapore and the Kl bird park.

Yes The Pune zoo, Jaipur zoo is pathetic. My recollection of other zoos in India is vague because it is long time since I saw them.

What I did not like about Malaysia and Singapore were the size of the enclosures for many animals and the entertainment shows which serve no ecological purpose.

But I agree with you on the red tape in India. It is a big hassle.

Avin

5. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Welcome Psittacologist,

Please, tell us more about Indian zoos! I think they should be very interesting!
    :)

Last edited by a moderator: 5 Aug 2008
  6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yup Psittacologist,

I think we would all welcome zoo news and reviews from Indian zoos. I read a fair bit of Indian newspapers and pick up on quite of few wildlife and zoo issues, but I am sure the wider zoo enthusiast community out here does not.

So, please send on reviews of Hyderabad Zoo, Pune Zoo et al (what you can remember or when next you visit). Secondly, as I said it would be great to have some independent poster on frequent Indian zoo news items. I will ask Sim to make room for an India part of the forum.

I have quite a few hot tub questions too, of which some are not suited to the forum other then a pm. I hope you do not mind that!

Looking forward to more, more, more .... (great lol)!

Jelle

7. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Hi, Psittacologist,
    Some Indian zoos in my eyes are very unqiue and beautiful the Hyderabad zoo elephant exhibit is unlike any I have seen on the web. Like Singapore and Malayisa I'm sure that the temperature feel must also treat a lot of the animals well. So for animal behaviour and activity it must look great amogst the exhibits, I wsh to visit India one day.

Oh by the way would you be able to give me any details for the elephants at Hyderabad,

Just as a note the bull Vajana looks like Kerala quality I personally prefer him over many of the famous Guruvayoor elephants,

8. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

maybe if you write some reviews and upload some pictures to the general asian areas an INdian Forum may be considered

9. nidhi.dixit

nidhi.dixit Member

hi Psittacologist...indian zoos have been undergoing the reformation..though lately as u may say! and red tape in india is a big hassle..but the cash has also started flowing! wait and watch .......things are in the line..as i have been involved in the research n planning..as my final project (academics)...i had been in touch with the authorities!indian zoo's will have a complete makeover! CZA approved (lol)