Join our zoo community

Wildlife World Zoo & Aquarium Wildlife World News

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 9 Jul 2009.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The zoo has announced their latest conservation award (as in money) recipients. These are conservation oriented projects that they are donating to. The one I have put in bold print really, really surprises me - I guess there is no local rivalry (or maybe they hope to get some sumatrans themselves from their neighbor). The last one on the list is also surprising, since they lost their AZA accreditation a few years ago (they are now ZAA). With this plus the one in bold, looks like maybe they are trying to get back in. (Or maybe they already got back in and I did not hear about it?).

International Crane Foundation
    Zoo Conservation Outreach Group
    Gibbon Conservation Center
    Phoenix Zoo Capital Campaign - sumatran tiger habitat
    International Rhino Foundation
    Sahara Conservation Fund
    AZA Conservation Endowment Fund

3. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They didn't loose their AZA accreditation

4. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

That is correct that they did not lose their accreditation, but I believe that they opted out of being AZA-accredited approximately two years ago. I've visited the place and while there are some commendable aspects to it on the flip side some of the exhibits (and animal husbandry) makes one think that it would not be a shock if AZA-accreditation would have eventually been taken away. Also, the breeding of white tigers never goes down well with many others in the industry.:)

PETA is usually worthless, but Wildlife World Zoo still has some animals in enclosures that should cause concern:

http://www.mediapeta.com/peta/PDF/Wildlife_World_Zoo_Factsheet.pdf

5. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Yes definitely a brush-tail bettong. Too dark in colour and lacking the white tip on the tail of an eastern bettong. But does have a brush tail.

6. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

7. Arizona Docent

The fourth aquarium building is set to open in a month or so. The photo on the website (link attached) shows a white (leucistic) sea turtle. Not sure if that is a new resident or just a photo they are using. The only white sea turtle I have seen or heard of was at the Albuquerque Aquarium.

Welcome to Wildlife World Zoo & Aquarium

The zoo has three new babies on exhibit. A giraffe in the main exhibit with the adults and a tapir and a black jaguar on exhibit in the nursery (not together obviously). This sometimes controversial zoo has the equally controversial policy of pulling all feline cubs from their mothers and raising them in the nursery for visitor convenience. (Since the nursery makes for lousy photos, I am one visitor who would much prefer NOT to see them in there).

http://www.wildlifeworld.com/pdf_files/news_releases/WWZA - Three Significant Births Release.pdf

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  8. Arizona Docent

The press release about the babies has an interesting segment hidden in the middle:

All three animals will likely figure prominently in the facility’s expansion
    projects, which include a new Safari park expected to open in late 2013 and an all-new Americas
    adventure land the following year.

The safari park was mentioned a few months back, although it is intriguing to see a somewhat firm date (in the not too distant future). The Americas area is news to me.

9. Arizona Docent

Fourth aquarium building opens this Saturday, October 6, 2012.

10. Arizona Docent

11. Arizona Docent

The zoo has yet another black jaguar cub, born December 12, 2012 (yes that's right 12/12/12). They actually have not announced it yet as far as I know, but I saw it yesterday (January 5, 2013) on display in the nursery. It is in a crib inside the middle of the three main nursery rooms, which was empty when I visited on Christmas Day.

They have an older black jaguar cub, born last summer, that is on display in an outside yard. It is (I think) just over 5 months old. The younger cub is difficult to photograph in the crib, but we were lucky in that just after we entered, a keeper took him out to bottle feed him. Once I sort through all my photos, I will post a couple.

I asked a keeper if both cubs were born there, since it seemed a bit soon after the first one to already have another. But he said yes, both were born to the same parents. The father is a yellow jaguar (from Exotic Feline Breeding Compound) and the mother is a black jaguar (origin unknown to me).

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  12. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The theme park news site, Screamscape is reporting that Wildlife World Zoo is installing a rollercoaster that will travel through an animal exhibit.

US News
    For more information on what a Chance Big Dipper kiddie coaster is go here:
    http://www.chancerides.com/coasters/bigdippercoaster.html

13. Arizona Docent

Interesting. Surprisingly (considering the size of the greater Phoenix metropolis), there is not one single major theme park in the entire state of Arizona. And there is only one roller coaster in the entire state - a short (but decent sized) looping coaster at a miniature golf course in north Phoenix.

I noticed on the Wildlife World sign for their expansion it says "four new ride attractions" but there is no mention of what kind of ride.

14. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

Hearing that they're going to put up a roller coaster that actually goes through an animal exhibit really distresses me. As does allowing Rocco and Isis to breed again so soon after their last cub and taking that one from its mother, too. And acquiring a baby white tiger from another facility. I really dislike it when zoos/animal facilities remove babies from their mothers like that. Unless the mother is showing signs of aggression to the baby or is ignoring it, there is no reason to remove the baby. Siegfried and Roy are good at doing that, too.

<sigh> Just another reason, in a long line, to not like WWZ.

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  15. Arizona Docent

Following up on the earlier description (the hoofstock having it good), the ratites also have it pretty good here. I just realized this is the only zoo I can think of that exhibits all four types of ratites: ostrich, emu, rhea, cassowary.

(I said "types" instead of "species" because yes I know there are two distinct species of rhea and they only have one of the two).

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  16. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

There are actually five types as you forgot to the Kiwi. The National Zoo also has four Ratites: Emu, Rhea, Cassowary, and Kiwi.

17. Ituri

Wildlife World Zoo & Aquarium Receives California Sea Lions

http://www.wildlifeworld.com/pdf_files/news_releases/Sea Lions Make a Splash Release.pdf

18. Arizona Docent

This will be a huge draw. Sounds like they have the indoor pool done but are still working on the larger outdoor pool and arena, to be opened in the Fall. When I was there just after New Year there was an area roped off at the end of one of the aquarium buildings and some new rockwork going up. The sign just said they are expanding, but now I know what will be there.

19. Ituri

Newspaper Article about Expansion

The Arizona Republic has a story today about the expansion at Wildlife World Zoo. http://www.azcentral.com/community/...ldlife-world-zoo-will-see-wild-expansion.html

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  20. Arizona Docent

Really nice find. Glad to hear they are going to address some of the older areas once the new expansion is done.

Addendum: I know many of you are rolling your eyes at the ride ideas (especially roller coaster). I have mixed feelings myself, but considering there are no major theme parks in Arizona (and only one roller coaster at a mini golf place), I think this could be a major draw.

Last edited: 22 Mar 2013
    Wisp O' Mist likes this.