Join our zoo community

Wildpark Langenberg

Discussion in 'Switzerland' started by snowleopard, 19 May 2008.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

http://www.stadt-zuerich.ch/internet/gsz/home/naturraeume/wildpark_langenberg.html

I visited this wildlife park, as well as the Zurich Zoo, in late 2003 and these are the only two European collections that I've ever been to. I was quite impressed with the Langenberg collection, and was wondering if anyone here has visited it. There were brown bears, lynx, wolves, european wild boar, przewalski horses, elk, deer, etc in what is supposedly the oldest zoological park in Switzerland (1869). Almost all of the enclosures were spacious and naturalistic. Anyone been here?

Langenberg Wildlife Park - Zürich Tourism - Official Website

2. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was there in 2006. Very good small place!

Release program for Przewalski Horse in Mongolia is, of course, outstanding. These filthy rich Swiss can do something useful with their money!

Brown bear enclosure was great. I think on some earlier thread I mixed up names of small wildlife parks - this one was good and simple, simply fenced bit of forest.

There were also lots of popular European animals in their bits of forest and meadows. There was walk-thru bit with wild boar.

Interestingly, apparently some animal right activists broken into in 2006 and cut holes in fences. All animals remained inside except wildcat which went to old bear enclosure. Just shows what animals think about freedom. :D

3. snowleopard

@Jurek7: thanks for the information, and I'm glad that you also liked the park. I enjoyed the naturalistic enclosures, as basically the entire collection was found inside a massive forest. I also recall seeing a small herd of wisent, which are extremely rare in zoos here in North America.

4. Jurek7

Hi snowleopard,

if you ever visit Switzerland again, Bern has very good Europe-oriented zoo with similar species. Otters, beavers and pelicans have large natural ponds at the banks of a river - otter can even catch wild fish swimming in!

5. snowleopard

@Jurek7: is it Bern that is famous for its bear pits? I've seen some horrible photos of loads of brown bears begging for food in deep pits, but I'm wondering if those cages are still around these days.

6. Jurek7

Bern has "bear pits" on the outskirts of the old town. They are two pits, renovated, with dirt, full of bushes and tree trunks, and - as the zoos go - rather sizeable and good place for a pair of young pyrenean bears. The city is building now an even larger enclosure for them on the other side of the street, in city park. Bears are, naturally, symbol for Bern a bit like ravens for London's Tower.

The zoo I was refering to is Tierpark Dahlholzli in southern part of the town. It is situated in beach wood and has its own wooded bear enclosure with pair of Pyrenean brown bears. They have part of forest with some old trees, bushes, and an underwater viewing pool which apparently holds excess of zoos cichlid population (!).

see: Tierpark Dählhölzli, Tierparkweg 1, 3000 Bern

7. snowleopard

Thanks for the update Jurek7, and I'm glad that the Bern bear pits have been improved. Here's a photo of what they used to look like.

Bern Bear Pits - Berne - Switzerland for Visitors

According to this next link the bear enclosures were renovated in 1995-96, and there are even plans for further improvements.

Bear Pits & Park - Bern - BernInfo.com - Information

And this final link gives the best news of all! The bears will get a new enclosure that is ten times larger than the current one, and as long as the zoning permits are approved it will open to the public in summer 2009.

Bern's bears set to get a new home - swissinfo

8. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member