Join our zoo community

Will Paignton zoo ever release their Spider Monkeys?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by kkkp, 13 Jun 2011.

1. kkkp

kkkp Well-Known Member

Perhaps somebody might know why the zoo has not allowed the Spider monkeys to be released into their outside enclosure. Two new females were bought in many months ago well over a year ago actualy, the two original males are as far as i know still behind the vet center. The two new females are lovely stunning animals who spent hours being entertained by children running up and down and they just loved the attention. During the harsh winter months they were so sad and cold you only had to feel the windows they had no enrichment,and it was sad to see them trying to sit in the tiny ray of sunshine that came occasionally through the window. Was always informed they were in quarantine for 6 months from whom or what i asked myself. Months later well over 6 months three new spider monkeys appeared another two females and a male. Then the 2 original ones dissapeared 1 died and the other got sick thankfully she is now back but so sad,thin grey and sickly looking. A real heartbreaker.

The outside enclosure is a mess the fence is broken and wooden posts just lying on the ground. Will these amazing creatures ever see the light and feel fresh air? Well one will never have that experience but the rest should be a priority.

It breaks my heart to see their lovely faces just wanting to go outside. There inside enclosure is one of the worst designs i have ever seen as there is a metel barricade right infront of ther glass windows blocking out light but allows people to walk in one side and out the other but obscures there veiw..

I can only presume that because they are tucked away up the slope opposite the Red Pandas that they are not a priority. But they are very popular and loved by many visitors young and old.

So lets hope this does not fall on deaf ears and the free the spider monkeys, Where is your compassion Paignto zoo?

2. kkkp

kkkp Well-Known Member

:) In reply to myself:eek:

At last somebody heard me as the outside enclosure is being worked on. The stained glass window has been removed to let in more light and air and work is being carried out on the climbing area etc.

wonderfull for the amazing wonderfull monkeys bless.:D