Join our zoo community

Al Wabra Wildlife Preservation Win a trip to Al Wabra!

Discussion in 'Qatar' started by devilfish, 19 Nov 2012.

1. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Once the Al Wabra facebook page hits 1500 'likes', they will be picking one of their fans to fly to Al Wabra and spend a weekend at the centre! This is an absolutely fantastic opportunity.

In case you are not aware, Al Wabra is a (very) private breeding centre in Qatar, perhaps best known for maintaining the majority of surviving Spix's macaws, as well as numerous other rare parrot, bird-of-paradise and ungulate species.

If you weren't aware of this, perhaps I can convince you to generously donate your winning ticket to me? :p

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

To be accurate, the competition will comprise a draw from the first 1500 likes of their main page on Facebook, and the first 2500 likes on their Spix's Macaw page. This means anyone who liked both pages in time would have a 2/4000 chance - but currently the latter criteria has been filled, and only about 100 likes remain for the former, so anyone reading this in time will, like myself, only have a 1/4000 chance.

But this 1/4000 chance is still much better odds than most of us would ever get otherwise, so it's all good ;)

3. devilfish

True. I just thought there's not much point in advertising the Spix's Macaw page as their list has already closed. (And I might just be a tiny bit disappointed that I liked the Spix's Macaw page two days too late ;) )

An amazing opportunity nonetheless.

4. devilfish

The facebook page has now hit 1500 likes and a winner will soon be drawn.

Al Wabra have also announced another opportunity for fans to visit. As far as I understand, an application process will soon be opened, and 50 applicants will be selected for a day-visit to the centre, including transfers from Doha. Other travel (including international flights) and accommodation will be at the applicants' expense.

5. Giant Eland

Giant Eland Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ugh I find out about this now, after they've just hit 1500 likes...Maybe I'll be able to get one of the other 50 spots...

6. devilfish

Applications are now being taken on their facebook pages for day-visits. These will take place on the weekend of the 23rd/24th February with 25 people visiting on each day. Transfers from Doha are included. Closing date for entries is this Friday.
    Wish I could afford the trip.

Good luck everyone! :)

7. Giant Eland

Ugh figures. I'll be away in South America at the time (can't really complain haha). Hopefully they offer this again.

8. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hope they do this again when I'm older, sounds amazing!

9. eduardo_Brazil

eduardo_Brazil Well-Known Member

Im one of the selected to visit Al Wabra, just got to know it visiting theier fanpage one facebook...lets hope I get Visa in time, since im flying next week to another arab country and my flight and Visa are already ready to this country.

If im able to visit I will let you know after the visit.

10. devilfish

Congratulations - nice to know at least one zoochatter got selected. Hope you'll be able to make it. :)

11. Giant Eland

What news! Good luck!! How funny you're going to Al Wabra as I'm going to Brazil!

12. devilfish

The visits took place last weekend.

Do any zoochatters have any news?

eduardo_Brazil, did you manage to make it to Qatar in the end?

13. eduardo_Brazil

eduardo_Brazil Well-Known Member

No, I could not go because of my Visa, well I had the possibility to go but then could not go back to Oman after, so I had no possibility to do it or it would be a mess with my return flight to Brazil that was schedulled for 5 days after the expected visit to Alwabra. Lost the chance of my life...and feel me sorry for that.

14. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

sorry to hear that:(

15. devilfish

That's a real shame, hope you had a great trip to Oman though.

Given the massive amounts of interest generated recently, I get the impression that they may do something similar again - maybe in a few years' time.