Join our zoo community

Wingham Wildlife Park Wingham Wildlife Park News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TNT, 13 Jan 2020.

1. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I mentioned before that Howletts have July 1st bookings on sale, but forgot to update that Port Lympe have June 1st online bookings too.

2. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

They are quite clear on it al being subject to the Government guidelines:

upload_2020-5-22_19-1-55.png

Have you actually looked at the information they have released at all? I don't see how any of it is a waste of money? I would think the biggest associated expense would be amending the website to allow for limited number ticket bookings / staggared entry times. I am going to go out on a limb and say that will be required whenever they are able to open.

It seems less of a 'gamble' to prepare for the best case scenario than to not bother and then miss out on the opportunity to open.

3. amaroc

amaroc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The big red box

4. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Yes - of course I have seen their web-site, and Chester's and others too, both zoos and organisations. There is very little commonality, and if all of the recommendations listed in the various drafts were listed they would go into many, many pages - not just the few lines listed on the websites you refer to. I am not going to detail what has been drafted, but complying with it all would cost many tens of thousands of pounds. Most of what is drafted/suggested here is not being done in other countries, so we must wait if we are not going to waste money. The web-site changes themselves are relatively low cost, not the biggest costs by a long way, and only around £1500 in our case - perhaps much less if on-line tickets are already being sold on a zoo's website.

Last edited: 22 May 2020
  5. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I feel like I'm missing something here... wasn't it previously indicated that ticketed visitor attraction wouldn't be able to reopen until July at the earliest? So where has this stuff about 1st June come from? I'm utterly confused here!!

6. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

It is a bit difficult to discuss if you are unwilling to give any context regarding the costs tbh. All I can say that as a visitor it is helpful to understand what the situation will be as much as is possible at this time.

giant_anteater and Shirokuma like this.
  7. Andrew Swales

I wasn't inviting discussion, I was simply correcting your point that web-site changes would be the most costly part of compliance, which they clearly are not. I repeat, that if Wingham (or indeed Port Lympne as LRP mentions above) are able to know what the situation will be, then they must have access to detail being with-held from other Zoos.

8. Andrew Swales

You're in good company SC - Howletts say 1st July, Port Lympne say 1st June..
    All some of us have is the 50 page dossier from last week... plus written confirmation from our Local Authority last week that travel to 'ticketed attractions' was prohibited and such travel now attracts increased and unlimited fines, and potential 'suspension orders'.

Sand Cat likes this.
  9. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

There is a little more on their Facebook page which might provide more context (I've highlighted their caveats in bold, nothing is set in stone yet. It looks like the 1st June is an internal deadline they are working towards for having everything in place, in readiness for any future opening date) Wingham Wildlife Park

Zia and Sand Cat like this.
  10. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I said based on the information they have released that would seem to be the biggest expense. I obviously can't comment on what else they may or may not have spent money on as yet or will need to in the future - and you can't possibly know that either. You have implied they are wasting money by releasing the information they have. I'm saying that is not necessarily true.

They have expressly said they don't know exactly what the situation will be - they are clearly just trying to prepare for what they feel is a 'likely' scenario and opening as soon as they are able to.

giant_anteater and Shirokuma like this.
  11. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks; that makes a lot more sense, although I personally feel that too much emphasis has been placed on 1st June date by the zoo on its website, if this is only a very loose target they are working towards. I think we're all just going to have to wait and see what happens, as it seems most (all?) zoo owners and staff haven't a clue what is happening, so there's no chance for zoo enthusiasts to figure it out!

12. Andrew Swales

No I haven't. I never made any such comment about the 'release of information'.
    To repeat - I said that what you described as 'pro-active plans' were a gamble, unless they had information being with-held from others.

13. Crowthorne

How is releasing a statement of intent a gamble? How is staying 'we plan to have x, y and z in place for reopening' a gamble? Is it because government guidance may change? Surely it's better to have some things in place for when they can reopen (and looking at their list, it's affordable changes they can seriously hope to achieve, like barriers, one-way systems, closed animal houses and play areas etc.)

giant_anteater, Zia and Shirokuma like this.
  14. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Then you have misunderstood my original post:

I feel that releasing the information and keeping their visitors informed as they are is proactive and up front. I like their approach.

I see you have edited your post now but you did imply they had money to gamble / waste by doing what they have done (which is release the information):

upload_2020-5-22_20-25-18.png

Shirokuma and Crowthorne like this.
  15. britishzoofan

britishzoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

All that it would appear is clear at this point in time is that no collections have any idea exactly when they will be permitted to open again and in what form. However, clearly a few of them are preparing for the possibility the government will allow them to open on the 1st June so they can capitalise on this straight away by being prepared and having raised awareness amongst customers in advance. If the government were to instead announce the opening as a later date ie July at least these collections have already put the structure in place for a restricted opening and when the time does arrive they will be ready.

As far as I can tell there has been no indication from the government so far that zoos are to be exempt from the ticketed attractions category and therefore I will be surprised if they are allowed to open before museums etc.

16. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Maybe the 1st June as it’s an established, if not controversial, date for some schools to open up to more year groups? It ‘feels’ like a pivotal date in that respect. Most schools, including my own, have drafted MANY versions of our reopening plans & we fully expect to change them again!!

17. amaroc

amaroc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Do you not feel it's a gamble worth taking if the openings are sanctioned at short notice ?
    It is surely better to be prepared and get things moving then to leave and possibly lose yet more time whilst everything is ordered and put into place
    Yes it may incur some cost but I'm sure that looking at how other places that have opened are regulated they must get some idea
    Being negative about other zoos foresight and speculation is a tad shortsighted, if it works for them I admire them for doing it, no one is forcing you to follow their lead

TNT, giant_anteater and Crowthorne like this.
  18. Andrew Swales

Regardless of whether I feel it worth the gamble, to repeat, again - of course gambling is fine if you have the money, but taking this 'gamble' is only an option for those parks with the financial means to do so. It is not an option for the rest of us. I am sure that zoos like Exmoor who apparently have had to prove they have no money for basic animal welfare and are in breach of their legal requirements under the ZLA, will not have the tens of thousands of pounds to comply with 5 pages of draft requirements - some (many?) of which may not be needed in the end.

I was simply correcting errors and pointing out the full situation - if you consider that 'negative' then that of course is your choice.

Hardly! - by definition they are ALL abroad, and our Government has shown from the the start that it is doing this its own way and not using any foreign model.

19. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I see many hurdles that you mention in having to comply with government regulations, yet the Govt. not providing any baseline support for economic losses - which they do with "regular" commercial companies - and no way to go anywhere fast(er). I find that highly incongruous and making an uneven playing field. This on top of the make or break policy lines, the vague- and vacuousness of many of what the Govt. is actually setting in guidelines. Personally, I think they need to be held to account and not just at the ballot box. If Parliament does not solve this issue before long - and it seems the Govt. is ignoring MP's pleas -, than the judiciary trajectory should be the next to follow suit.

BTW: A Govt. that does not take advice - be it local or foreign - and tries to re-invent wheels themselves is a recipe for disaster (apart from the fact the right tools and instruments are already there to put to good use). I am afraid the longer this Catch 22 situation on zoos and other educational and cultural facilities goes on the more nebulous and distasteful things will get. It will be a great loss for science, innovation, education, culture, conservation and heritage. And without that what are we ourselves humankind worth?

20. Crowthorne

Honest question, how and where do you feel Wingham's statement of intent will cost this amount?