Join our zoo community

Wolf Treks: Oakland zoo vs San Francisco zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by TheEthiopianWolf03, 19 Jul 2017.

1. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine asked me which zoo is better, Oakland or San Francisco. I know this has nothing to do with the actual "Wolf Treks" saga but I wanted it to be almost like a prologue of sorts. If you have any opinions on either zoo feel free to post it on this thread. For now I'll put my opinions on both zoos as I have went to them multiple times. I'll start with Oakland zoo and then I'll do SF zoo. This is not a review, I'm just comparing the two zoos. The actual, detailed reviews will be up soon. Enjoy!

OAKLAND ZOO

Oakland zoo although a small zoo, has really good exhibits. Of course some of them need a major upgrade but the add on known as Californian Trail will make the zoo more interesting

The mammal collection is their best collection. They have African elephants, island flying foxes, sun bears, blue eyed black lemurs, and much more! The rest of their collection is lacking. Aviaries are almost boring and the reptile house holds generic geckos that you can see at a pet store.

The zoo also has a play area for kids and many educational opportunities. This zoo is a can't miss for zoo enthusiasts living in Northern California.

That's s my opinion! I'll do SF zoo tomorrow. What do you guys think? Is Oakland zoo better than SF zoo? Honestly there is no such thing as the best zoo because everyone has a favorite. You can ask any questions about Oakland zoo and SF zoo.

I actually need a little help as I am going to a surprise trip to Sacramento zoo. I never been there so I have no idea what to expect. Is there anything over there worth seeing?

Until then...

TheEthiopianWolf

2. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

I was sick for a while so sorry if this came a little late.

San Francisco zoo
    The animal collection is a little larger than Oakland's. They house two species of rhinos (Black and One Horned), François langurs, Western lowland gorillas, Koalas, Northern Bald ibis, Magellanic penguin, Bali Myna, Komodo dragons, and many more animals.

Sadly, many of these exhibits are outdated and small for many of the animals. The Dragon's exhibit is extremely small. The primate exhibits are nothing to be proud of either. But the best example for bad exhibits in this zoo goes to many of the big cat exhibits. Dull, Small, and poorly made for any cat. They are the worst exhibits in the zoo.

On the upside, I enjoyed the large giraffe mixed species exhibit, the grizzlies, and the gorilla exhibit.

They have a large animal statue park that kids can climb and use their imagination. I personally see it as a HUGE waste of money and land. They could have used the money to build better exhibits or even get new animals. But the kids like it and they have an Ethiopian wolf statue so that make up for it.

They have a few rides like a train ride and a merry-go-round so the kids won't stay bored.

Overall the zoo is mediocre at best. Hopefully they make changes to the zoo's exhibits to make the animals have a much better home. That is what I think.

I don't think there is such thing as a better zoo as most AZA zoos strive to find ways to bring species from the brink, but in all truth, I prefer Oakland zoo over SF zoo just because it was my very first zoo as a child and that zoo made me fall in love with animals and zoology. That zoo made me who I am today.

The Oakland zoo review will hopefully come soon.

Until then..

TheEthiopianWolf