Join our zoo community

WOLVES AND OTHER BIG ANIMALS AT BIRMINGHAM NATURE CENTRE

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by bluepanda, 8 Jan 2012.

1. bluepanda

bluepanda New Member

Hi Im studying animal care at college and was doing a projet on zoo's I vagly rember their being wolves at Birmingham nature centre in what is now the lynx's enclosuer in the early 90's from when I was a kid. Was this ture or am I rembering it worng? Also I heard that they had more big cats and other big animals their a long time ago I would be very intrested to kown what animal they had their in the past and would realy like to see old photos many thanks :)

p.s I appolygise fro any spelling or gammer errors writing is not one of my strong points lol

2. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I only ever remember them having the Lynx in that enclosure,cannot ever remember seeing Wolves at the place or hearing of them having kept them, do know that the Lynx enclosure used to be the old Lion enclosure back in the days when it was part of Birmingham Zoo!

3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There were definitely wolves at the nature centre, in the place you're thinking of. The lynx were next to them on part of the current enclosure. They also had Barbary sheep at around the same time.
    As zoogiraffe said there were lots of larger animals in the sixties and seventies, there's a map in the gallery and the animal collection is astounding for the size of the place.

4. bluepanda

bluepanda New Member

thanks

thanks I knew I didn't just imageing the wolves lol also I just heard of my granparants that their used 2 be a black panther or some other type of big cat in what is now the snowy owl enclouser also their used 2 be seals in the otter enclouser and pengins somewere. Sad 2 think that it was expterbale to put them type of animals in those small enclouse althought I can see the otter enclouse being good 4 seals, so glade times have changed.

5. bluepanda

bluepanda New Member

THey had lions their wow wasn't expting that!!!!