Join our zoo community

Woma Python Status Is Reevaluated By The IUCN

Discussion in 'Websites about Zoos & Animal Conservation' started by Conservation Station, 23 Jul 2018.

?

Should it be listed as Least Concern?

1. No, it should be classified as NT, VU, or EN because of human encroachment, non-native species, etc.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, because of its broad range and popularity in the pet trade it should be listed as LC.

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Conservation Station

Conservation Station Member

I was certainly stunned and shocked when I was researching the woma python earlier today. I vividly recall it being listed as Endangered on the IUCN website merely a week ago. I have now come to realization that it has not dropped back to Vulnerable or yet Near Threatened but ALL THE WAY to Least Concern! I know this is great for conservation efforts but I am a little confused on the great leap. All the websites I've researched maintained by zoos still say that it is listed as Endangered. This must have been a very recent change. I just wanted to inform the ZooChat community of this sudden and abrupt change. Please feel free to voice your opinions in the comments below.
    Best regards.

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Aspidites ramsayi was downlisted to 'Least Concern' back in early 2017, so not exactly a "sudden and abrupt change".

Forgive me but I'm a little confused on the purpose of this poll. The IUCN evaluates species based on extensive research and it's not exactly an opinion-based decision. The following is their justification for the downlisting:

~Thylo

Swampy likes this.
  3. Conservation Station

I appreciate your concerns for my apparent faults, however, I just wanted to hear the public's opinion on their beliefs of this topic. With the many threats that the womas face, I figured that there would always be some that would disagree with the IUCN status as the extent of these threats is not as well known as it could be. I am aware that the IUCN states "Date Assessed: 2017-02-23", however, the listing has changed recently this year. Nonetheless, I see where you're coming from.
    Best Regards.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  4. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've had the change noted for quite some time now.

~Thylo

Conservation Station likes this.
  5. Conservation Station

Very observant. [​IMG] Thank you for your involvement in this post and clearing the air on the topic.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

The "date assessed" isn't actually the date the page was updated, however the change in status from Endangered on that page isn't as recent as you believe (it was, in fact, changed in late 2017). It has been listed as Least Concern on that page for the whole of 2018.

The previous assessment was way back in 1996 when very little information was available so it is really not surprising that the status has been changed dramatically..