Join our zoo community

Planet Zoo Woodland Park Zoo Recreation

Discussion in 'Zoo Games & Simulators' started by Captain Callum, 23 Jan 2023.

1. Captain Callum

Captain Callum Member

[​IMG]

Hello all! I have started a new project for my growing north american recreation collection in planet zoo with the oregon zoo all completed last year. So this year i have stepped up to the challenge of recreating one of my favourite major american zoos. Lots and lots of references for the zoo are coming from the galleries here so thanks to everyone for the wonderful pictures

So far the western side of the zoo is all complete with the penguin exhibit being the final addition to that side before diving into the depths of the immersive habitats. The western side is complete with all parking lots, south and west entrances, the full temperate forest zone, the zoomazium/butterfly garden and the rainforest pavlion cafe.

Butterfly Garden - a pretty big enclosed butterfly walkthrough
    [​IMG]

Maned wolf exhibit
    [​IMG]

Waterfowl aviary - sadly no actual flying ducks in game yet
    [​IMG]

Red Crowned Crane exhibit
    [​IMG]

South Entrance gate
    [​IMG]

2. Captain Callum

Captain Callum Member

Penguin Exhibit and West Entrance:

Lets have a proper look at ongoing development then. The current progress has finished around the western zoo entrance having shown my brief completion of the temperate forest zone in the above post.

Today lets have a look at the west entrance and its connecting exhibit - the penguin exhibit. First off i will say its really hard to perfect a realistic rock cliff and had to make do with existing rocks ingame. Even with that the rock cliff scenery the exhibit features is pretty accurate with the rock layering and of course fake bird droppings (i hope it is fake xD)

Looking at the below picture is a wide angle shot of the penguin exhibit from the west entrance plaza. Custom pictures were made based on recent photos with the general penguin artwork sourced from google as i couldnt find an exact match nor did i want to make a penguin mural just for a sign
    [​IMG]

African penguins are present ingame as a good enough substitue for the humboldt, the penguin exhibit is designed for coastal south america and is especially notable when one reads the signs. The exhibit also features some fake 2d gulls for extra realism
    [​IMG]

A birds eye view of the penguin exhibit shows how busy the west entrance actually is. We have the rainforest food pavilion/cafe to the left with a huge building even though the cafe itself isnt that big. Backstage keeper areas and water filtration pumps are directly behind the rock cliff with the zoo admin area further back with all those office buildings. And of course the west entrance and parking lots to the right
    [​IMG]

The penguin exhibit also features some nice underwater views, it is really cool seeing the penguins soar towards you underwater then do a 180 degree turn to head back. There is also a double circle rock window aswell for even more underwater vistas
    [​IMG]

Looking at general decorations, the coastal theme features a sand like material with decorations like this rowing boat, small wooden boxes and further down the exhibit is an anchor
    [​IMG]

Another viewing area for the penguins, a good look at overall rock cliff length with all that lovely fake bird droppings decorating the cliff (i know it may be a little much compared to real life but it works for the effect)
    [​IMG]

Leaving the penguin exhibit, turn right around we see the main zoo gift shop. I love the modern designs that the west entrance has with the gift shop being the center of attention. Lots of large windows and clean materials really brings that modern vibe
    [​IMG]

Inside the gift shop is a little off in terms of realism but it is really really hard to pull off a true to life giftshop without spending days making plushies, clothes and custom shelves for everything. A group of siamang's are featured on the walls for decoration since there is no flying crane artwork to use
    [​IMG]

Of course no realistic zoo recreation is complete without parking. Every parking lot for the woodland park zoo has been completed - i managed a total of 1089 parking spaces. If anyone notices, yes thats all just one kind of 4x4 jeep - its the only vehicle provided in the game.
    [​IMG]

Back at the entrance, we have the ticket building where zoo guests will hopefully visit. Ingame there is info stands where guests can adopt animals, buy education audio files etc , guests can use these and appear as if they are buying tickets for the zoo.
    [​IMG]

Next time i hope to show off some exciting jungle habitats including jaguars :)

3. Captain Callum

Captain Callum Member

Tropical Rainforest - Jaguar Cove

This was an exciting exhibit to build with all the thick foliage to the huge fallen kapok tree for a great atmosphere both by building and walking through the final result.

Jaguar cove does have some minor changes to allow the pair of jaguars room to move especially on the left side of the exhibit regarding the rockwork and open space. The shallow water area aswell as has been widened along with the pool not as deep as i would of liked (due to the water level changes in game)

Like real life it is really hard to spot the jaguars even though i cut down on the amount of plants just so anyone exploring the zoo from a guest perspective doesnt have to wait 5 or so minutes just for a glimpse of the jaguar. All these pictures of the jaguar were forced placement of them just so i got some nice pictures to show off, sometimes all i get is a head poking through one of the background bushes
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Captain Callum

Captain Callum Member

Tropical house and Red Ruffed Lemurs

Continuing the work on the tropical rainforest leads us on a tour through an impressive tropical house featuring many (static) birds and monkeys followed by a brief look at the newest addition of a lemur island. The lemur island hosting red ruffed lemur is a first taster into the true immersion habitats of the woodland park zoo (jaguar is impressive enough but the barriers are visible)

Lets start by jaguar cove and enter the tropical house:
    [​IMG]

Tropical house entryway greets guests with some tropical plants
    [​IMG]

First section of the tropical house is full of exhibits. White nosed Coati (i orginally added clouded leopard to replace ocelot but was informed the other day), several bird aviaries, 2 turtle exhibit tanks and 2 snake exhibits complete the first section of this area
    [​IMG]

A closer look at the snake exhibits. The only time in my years of playing the game has the large size of the exhibit boxes come in handy. Left exhibit is yellow anaconda and right is a boa constrictor
    [​IMG]

First corner of the tropicsl house just after the snakes are: A green aracari aviary, 2 exhibit boxes of rainforest frogs (red eyed tree frog and golden posion frog) and a capuchin monkey habitat. I am well aware this doesnt represent the full length of exhibits here given the needed space required to house monkeys correctly ingame. The capuchin monkeys are a replacement for the golden lion tamarins
    [​IMG]

Next up we have a white saki monkey habitat currently used by more capuchins (i do plan to introduce a modded zoo with all the wonderful animals when done). Following the monkey habitat there are 2 more tanager aviaries followed by a toucan aviary
    [​IMG]

After the toucan we enter the walkthrough rainforest aviary which is pretty cool ingame. Now only if we could get flying birds
    [​IMG]

Lemur Island:

First time making a truly immersive habitat ingame where no barriers can be seen and at the same time looks totally natural without any foliage or rock walls sticking out like a sore thumb. A generic bamboo climbing structure is used that is connected by 2 trees - lemurs can be seen climbing all over this and is really cool to watch. Of course with no barriers there is a water moat surrounding the island to prevent the lemurs from escaping. The use of the periwinkle leaves ingame allows me to replicate duckweed or similar overgrowth in the water accurately
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Captain Callum

Captain Callum Member

Banyan Wilds and Gorillas

Gorilla exhibits:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Banyan Wilds:

A new area has also been added to the zoo, the first part of the large tropical asia zone. A rather compact modern area to the zoo adds asian small clawed otters, sloth bears (sun bears are the featured animals ingame) and tigers. I may have added a little more greenery compared to real life just to make the exhibits a little more appealing to look at

Entrance
    [​IMG]

Otter exhibit
    [​IMG]

Sloth bear exhibit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tiger exhibit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pictures of the animals:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Feb 2023
  6. Captain Callum

Captain Callum Member

Thought it would be good to also mention the animal list for both versions of this zoo for those not familiar with the woodland park zoo. If anyone disagrees if any inclusion let me know

Normal Version:

- West Entrance
    - African Penguin
    - Butterfly house with monarch, Old World Swallowtail, European Peacock, Cloudless Sulphur ​
    - Tropical Rainforest
    - Jaguar
    - Raccoon
    - Static aviaries for sunbittern, various kinds of tanager birds, green aracari, toco toucan
    - 2 exhibit boxes of Diamondback terrapin
    - 2 exhibit boxes of snakes - yellow anaconda and boa constrictor
    - white faced capuchin monkey X2 exhibits
    - walkthrough rainforest aviary with static tropical birds ​
    - Temperate Forest
    - female alpine ibex
    - female Babirusa
    - female dall sheep (all 3 of are the best domestic looking animals the game has)
    - llama
    - 7 static Aviaries in the conservation aviary
    - red crowned crane X2 exhibits
    - static trumpeter swan pond
    - walkthrough static waterfowl aviary
    - maned wolf
    - red panda
    - Capybara
    - greater flamingo ​
    - Africa Savanna
    - savanna exhibit with Recticulated giraffe, plains zebra, ostrich , Thomson Gazelle
    - common hippopotamus
    - static savanna aviary
    - African lion
    - female proboscis monkey (I know this is questionable but best substitute for the patas monkey)
    - warthog ​
    - Tropical Asia
    - Banyan Wilds
    - Asian small clawed otter
    - sun bear X2 exhibits
    - Bengal tiger ​
    - Trail of Vines
    - Malaysian Tapir
    - Proboscis Monkey (again lack of Primates)
    - Siamang
    - Orangutan (possibly 2 exhibits not sure)​
    - Assam Rhino Reserve
    - Indian Rhino
    - Babirusa
    - Red Crowned Crane ​
    - Northwest Trail
    - Arctic Wolf (ingame gray wolf doesn't come in white)
    - Eurasian Lynx
    - 2 static bird of prey aviaries (snowy owl and stellar sea eagle)
    - grizzly bear
    - Dall Sheep
    - Red Deer ​
    - Australasia
    - snow leopard
    - static aviary building with Oceania birds ​
    - Trail of Adaptations
    - Komodo dragon
    - meerkat
    - Egyptian fruit bat
    - static kea aviary ​

Modded Version (providing all the mods work):

- West Entrance
    - Humboldt Penguin
    - Butterfly house with monarch, Old World Swallowtail, European Peacock, Cloudless Sulphur ​
    - Tropical Rainforest
    - Jaguar
    - white nosed Coati
    - Static aviaries for sunbittern, various kinds of tanager birds, green aracari, toco toucan
    - 2 exhibit boxes of Diamondback terrapin
    - 2 exhibit boxes of snakes - yellow anaconda and boa constrictor
    - golden lion tamarin
    - white faced saki
    - walkthrough rainforest aviary with static tropical birds ​
    - Temperate Forest
    - domestic goat (unsure exact species for all domestic animals)
    - domestic pig
    - domestic sheep
    - miniature donkey or similar
    - 7 static Aviaries in the conservation aviary
    - red crowned crane
    - trumpeter swan pond
    - walkthrough static waterfowl aviary
    - white naped crane or hooded Crane
    - maned wolf
    - red panda
    - southern pudu
    - Chilean flamingo ​
    - Africa Savanna
    - savanna exhibit with Recticulated giraffe, plains zebra, ostrich , Thomson Gazelle, Helmeted guineafowl
    - common hippopotamus
    - static savanna aviary
    - African lion
    - vervet monkey (no mod for the patas monkey made yet)
    - warthog ​
    - Tropical Asia
    - Banyan Wilds
    - Asian small clawed otter
    - sloth bear X2 exhibits
    - Sumatran tiger or modded Bengal tiger (no up to date Malayan tiger sadly)​
    - Trail of Vines
    - Malaysian tapir
    - francois Langur
    - Siamang
    - Orangutan ​
    - Assam Rhino Reserve
    - Indian Rhino
    - Babirusa (since no Visayan warty pig )
    - deimosselle crane ​
    - Northwest Trail
    - Arctic Wolf
    - Eurasian Lynx (no up to date Canadian lynx)
    - Grizzly bear
    - 2 static bird of prey aviaries (snowy owl and stellar sea eagle)
    - mountain goat
    - Roosevelt Elk ​
    - Australasia
    - Snow Leopard
    - Static Aviary building with Oceania birds
    - outback exhibit with emu and red necked wallaby ​
    - Trail of Adaptations
    - Komodo dragon
    - meerkat
    - Egyptian fruit bat
    - static kea aviary
    - possible red footed tortoise exhibit if room left inside building ​

Gibbonsagainstgravity and TNT like this.
  7. Captain Callum

Captain Callum Member

African Savanna:

The largest zone has now been completed thanks to a largely simple layout and lots of empty grass areas to work with. Returning to immersive exhibit design the savanna mixed species exhibit is the main highlight of this area. Other exhibits include hippo, lion, warthog and mandrill (changed from the proboscis monkey since far more suitable)

Entrance to the african village
    [​IMG]

African Village school overlook into the savanna exhibit
    [​IMG]

Wide angle view of the exhibit
    [​IMG]

Leaving the african village and finding the a small viewpoint at the edge of the exhibit
    [​IMG]

Joining onto the savanna trail now and finding another viewpoint for the savanna exhibit
    [​IMG]

Past the previous viewpoint is a small aviary. Static small african birds occupy this one
    [​IMG]

The last dedicated viewpoint for the savanna exhibit is just after the aviary
    [​IMG]

Moving on we reach the hippo exhibit
    [​IMG]

and another view of the hippos, notice the 'hidden' barrer seperating the hippos and the savanna exhibit animals
    [​IMG]

After the hippo exhibit is the giraffe house, sadly it doesnt work as the shelter for giraffes ingame
    [​IMG]

Reaching the lion exhibit we take a small path off the savanna trail. This path allows us to view the lions and monkeys
    [​IMG]

monkey exhibit which offers us the back view of the large savanna exhibit
    [​IMG]

Returning to the savanna trail we can enter a small cave to get another view of the lions
    [​IMG]

the last exhibit is some warthogs
    [​IMG]

8. Captain Callum

Captain Callum Member

Adaptations and Australasia:

Not really a wow section of the zoo here with some rather bland exhibits to show off but still a nice selection of animals to go through even if half of these are stuck in a long building without much atmosphere

First up is the adaptations building which holds meerkats, tortoise, bats and komodo dragons. I couldnt fit in the agouti exhibit and the bats replace the flying foxes. All exhibits inside the building have creative exhibit design inside to make them suitable for the ingame animals and simply more appealing to look at such as the bat exhibit

Entrance to the adaptations building with a static kea aviary to the right:
    [​IMG]

Some rather disappointing indoor meerkat exhibits which is really on the small side. There are 2 of these and i got 3 meerkats in each
    [​IMG]

Next up is a tortoise exhibit. I got some smaller sized aldabra giant tortoise in here
    [​IMG]

To finish off the mixed exhibits in the first half of the building, i got a fruit bat exhibit. A close enough animal to the indian flying fox, the scenery is far more natural and abundant compared to the real life exhibit
    [​IMG]

The second half of the adaptations building is home to 2 exhibits of komodo dragon. I believe it is just one dragon per habitat
    [​IMG]

Lets head outside again to look at the australasia section. Here we can find snow leopards, an australasian indoor aviary and a mixed outback exhibit

Path view towards the snow leopard exhibit
    [​IMG]

Guest shelter view into the exhibit, yes i know the rock shelter is much bigger than real life. It shows how big the hitboxes of the animals are at times to allow them to enter rocky shelters. Still looks nice enough with a rocky hillside for the leopards
    [​IMG]

An indoor aviary building is next to the snow leopard exhibit and contains kookaburra among other oceania small birds. The lorikeet building and wallaby indoor exhibit were missed out due to me running out of room for them
    [​IMG]

To complete the australasia area we come across a decent grass yard with 2 animals - emu and red necked wallaby
    [​IMG]

GoldenTakin, Haley and Chatt Wolf like this.
  9. Captain Callum

Captain Callum Member

Northwest Trail

Located at the top of the zoo, the northwest trail is a journey past many exciting exhibits from the northern regions of north America. Considered a favourite by many, the immersive exhibits brings zoo guests into the heart of Alaska giving us closeup views of wolves, grizzly bears, mountain goats and more. Let's begin the tour of this area at the entrance just across from the Australasia outback exhibit

[​IMG]

Walking along the fir and pine tree lined path, the first exhibit brings us to some arctic wolves. Whether these are gray wolves or arctic wolves, these are brightly colored white wolves in a birch forest. You may notice the elk (red deer) behind the wolves as the expansive elk meadow is the largest part of the northwest trail

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Leaving the wolf exhibit, shortly we come across some lynx. The lynx exhibit is a new addition to the zoo meaning I have no idea if this is accurate or not, the location is roughly correct although I did miss out the snowy owl aviary. Again I was not sure how correct the sizing is - anyways here is the lynx exhibit:

[​IMG]

I would say the lynx exhibit is the weakest addition of the northwest trail despite the being a new addition. Up next is we have the grizzly bear exhibit, the first overlook is the highest point to view the bears as each new viewing area is at a lower perspective

[​IMG]

Second bear viewpoint:

[​IMG]

The above 2 viewpoints were the exterior views of the exhibit, now we get to see the bears right up close when they are having a swim in the pool. We can see the running water stream above which leads us into the river house:

[​IMG]

The river house features large glass panels to see the bears in the pool which also gives underwater views of the non existent fish (there is quite a few fish in real life)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the other side of the river house we get the only viewing area for the river otters. The river otters get a rather small exhibit between the river house and the large mountain goat exhibit right behind. There is a hidden barrier like the wolf exhibit which allows for a great view of the mountain goats climbing over rocks behind the otter pool. Yes these are Asian small clawed otters in the river otter exhibit since having giant otters would just be weird

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Leaving the river house we join onto a boardwalk which will bring us into the second part of the northwest trail

[​IMG]

As expected the mountain goat exhibit is up first on this boardwalk, a rather large space for the goats with several large rocks for climbing. Seeing the goats climbing all over the rocks is a great sight

[​IMG]

After the mountain goats (I should mention these are actually female dall sheep) , we come across the sole aviary of this area since I missed the snowy owl. This aviary features a stellars sea eagle which is hardly local to north America but still a cool eagle to see.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And lastly the final part of the northwest trail - the elk meadow. A herd of 7 red deer occupy the elk meadow which is much larger than I thought, ingame size is 13,000m2 which is roughly a 3 acre meadow

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 3 Mar 2023