Join our zoo community

Budapest Zoo and Botanical Garden World first rhino birth

Discussion in 'Hungary' started by MARK, 2 Feb 2007.

1. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

i think that solves it for sure. thanks for the update, and ill take more care with my vowells in the future ;)

2. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

And I'll watch my consonants :)

3. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

white rhino

Glyn, I am also 99% sure you are right about the import of a young male White rhino from the Netherlands, I tend to take note of anything about rhinos, :)

4. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

Yep I mentioned earlier in this threa that a male rhino was imported to Werribee from Emmen Zoo in the Netherlands in 1997. His name is Kapamba and he was born in 1996 at Emmen. He hasn't sired any young at this stage.

5. Feddi

Feddi Member

Hi there
    Any one having an update on the Northern White Rhinoceros in captivity.
    I thought the AI was mainly aimed at them? I think there is only one cow still having cycles in a zoo in the Check republic. She had a female calf in 2000- but to my knowledge no luck since then...
    Thanks

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As far as I know, Dvur Kralov in Czech republic is now the only zoo with this subspecies- they have about nine/ten animals plus one hybrid(NorthernxSouthern) I don't know about recent breeding- presumably the same problem occurs as with the Southern Whites,with difficulties breeding from them in the F1 generation.

I found a studbook for EEP White Rhino(with full details on all the animals) on the internet but I can't find/access it again at present....

7. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

now this is one taxa i have zero hope for. inbreeding would be a massive problem for such a small population and thats even if all founders bred readily and with the right partners at the right time. i've knocked the dvur kralov zoo before for holding on to this race for so long when clearly they where not having huge success and it was all going to be downhill from here on in. i had people bite my head off (can't remeber who tho)..

i've thought the only real hope wasto repatriate all of the captive animals in the czech republic to kenya (a former native country) into a protected preserve. lets face it, rhino breed well in the wild but whilst we can breed them in captivity we have far from mastered it.

if the former czech nimals were reproducing well in kenya, then it may, and i stress here may, have boosted efforts to relocate some of the last few congo animals (a plan that was scratched).

in eny event - its too late now all over. and whoever it was who told me i was wrog when i questioned this zoos ability to save the rhino, well, i'm smarter than them ;)

they should take DNA samples of every last northern white (including the old san diego animals) and store it. then they should hybridise the northerns with southerns and re-introduce these hybrids into a safe former nation in africa. at least then you are reintroducing white rhino to an area they have gone extinct (a good thing) and they at least have a bit of the genetics that was presumably an advantage to the rhino of the north.

(oh and the DNA was ya know, just in case one day we wanna clone the founders and start again...)

8. Feddi

Feddi Member

Patrick- you are probably right there. ..

I often wonder what a depressing interest it is to be keen on conservation.

But a big part of my self really wants to keep the positive position.

Well in my case, I like the old Viking saying:
    "Enn er von meðan líf endist"
    -Where there is still a life there is a hope,
    (however fully aware the the vikings where not the most popular ancient culture in the western world!)

Well in any case the situation for the Northern White rhinoceros is pretty desperate one.
    Only one of the females in Dvur Karlov is able to breed, her daughter born in 2000 must be also coming up?
    I think the main purpose of this AI program was to try to help the the Northern White rhinoceros. I think in 2004 or 2005 the Berlin team where very keen on getting involved, but I understand at that stage the female bred naturally against all odds.
    But no pregnancy as far as I know.

But with a life birth in Hungary the scene must be set for some success...

Well anyway I am keeping my positive position for now...

Best Regards

9. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

The female rhino that gave birth to the worlds first AI baby has since had another AI so they now await to see if they get their second baby, the semen was from a male at the Colchester zoo in the UK. The present baby is doing very well.

10. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Port lyme has the same size group of rhinos as Dvur Kralorve zoo. At last count Dvur had the bigger group.

11. The Crow2

The Crow2 Member

12. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info