Join our zoo community

World's 25 Most Endangered Primates

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by TeaLovingDave, 24 Nov 2015.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The latest edition of this grim list has been released today, in a joint statement by Bristol Zoo and the IUCN:

For the full list and more information, the press release can be found here:

http://www.biaza.org.uk/uploads/Pre...rlds_25_most_endangered_primates_revealed.pdf

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

interesting that of the 25 "most endangered" primate species, 13 have populations listed as "unknown"....

I'll have a read of the full report tonight when I have more time to see how they arrived at their list, but I can immediately think of missing species which have populations far below many of the ones they include.

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's not always the population-seize which tell us how threatened a species is. Very small populations in well-protected areas are in many cases more safe as larger populations of another species which lives in unprotected areas which are threatened by for example logging.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

yes, I am aware of how threat assessments work, which is why I said I needed to read the paper to see how they had arrived at their list. As it happens, it isn't a list of "the 25 most endangered primates", it is more a list of "25 primates which are amongst the most endangered, which we have chosen to get a representative spread across the world". There are eight species added new to the most current list, for which they bumped eight species off the previous list to retain the "25" figure (amongst which was the Cao Vit gibbon, which was one of the species I had in mind as more endangered than several of the currently listed species). In some cases the chosen species is a flagship species for other primates in the same habitat (e.g. the pig-tailed langur for the other endemic Mentawai species).