Join our zoo community

Colchester Zoo World's Apart exhibit

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Chris79, 28 Aug 2008.

1. Chris79

Chris79 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I know there has been talk of the Cuban crocs on this thread but I didn't see any mention of their new exhibit. The following is taken from Colchester Zoo's website:

Has anyone seen this World's Apart exhibit yet? It's hard to get a sense of what the overall theme is from the species mentioned. Also it mentions six enclosures - so what other species are exhibited there?

There's a tantalising mention of a new Tropical House on the site of the old orang exhibit. I assume that this will be Colchester's next major project after the completion of Orangutan Forest.

I've not been there yet but kudos to the zoo for the pace of new development there.

2. Roz

Roz Well-Known Member

Worlds apart: 1st Enclosure- 2 cubans (will house a water monitor when they move to part of dragons of komodo)
    2nd- Blue poison dart frogs
    3rd- Indo-pacific marine tank
    (enclosures 2 and 3 are still in place from the aquatic house)
    4th- Rhino Iguanas
    5th Yellow Anaconda
    6th- walkthrough tamarin exhibit

Going to colchester 2morrow!!!!!!!!!!

3. Chris79

Thanks Roz.

I found the planning application drawings for the new tropical house on the Colchester Council website. It's a 2 storey shed-type rectangular building - cheep and cheerful. There's a ramp up to an entrance at the upper level, a bit like ROTRA at Chester. Inside, the pathway coils down in a loop underneath itself and exits the building at ground floor level. No info on what's going inside yet, other than it will have South American species. The size of the building is slightly larger overall than the current exhibits on the site. Budget about £2 million.

The zoo article I quoted above mentions that the Cuban crocs will be moving into the new tropical house.

4. Roz

Roz Well-Known Member

Can u post a link of the plans?

5. Chris79

Not sure if a direct link will work, but here's the way to find them:

Go to Colchester Borough Council website and click on "Online planning and building control including current applications" on the RHS of the page.

Click on the "Accept" button, then search under application number 081166. You'll get links to all the plans there.