Join our zoo community

YOUR 2016

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by kiang, 19 Dec 2016.

1. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not really, sorry. I've heard some rumours Pairi Daiza had expressed interest as well, but I'm not sure on the validity of those rumours so I wouldn't count on it; though anything is possible there, of course. :p

2. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

1. It's far too difficult to select a single zoo visit which I'd call my highlight - there are so many from this year that I'll remember for the rest of my life. I'll split my highlights into two broad categories: personal encounters with rare animals (of which goblin shark and Andean cat top a very long list) and zoo visits with zoochatters (including @MikeG, @vogelcommando, @Juancho, @Pedro, @Zooish, @FunkyGibbon, @Vision, @baboon, @Deer Forest, @ThylacineAlive, @zoogiraffe, @ophidia [and almost @toto98] - among others).

2. The top of the year's news for me is Prague's plan to attempt captive breeding of Saola in their home range. The spread of pangolins and some Australasian [ecozone] species (Tasmanian devils, BoPs, Lord Howe stick insects, bear cuscus...) is also encouraging - though we'll always want more. The other stand-out news has been that of various intriguing rehabilitations - the Andean cat in Bolivia, Mediterranean monk seal in Attica Zoo and AQWA's flatback turtles come to mind.

3. The bad news is probably headlined by the death of Toughie, the last Rabb's fringe-limbed tree frog. A couple of gorilla deaths were also notable, including Victoria (Eastern lowland gorilla) in Antwerp and Nyango (the only captive Cross River gorilla) in Limbe, Cameroon. The untimely deaths of Harambe and Santiago's lions, along with public backlash, and Sea World's decision to phase out orcas were all disappointing.

As an aside, when listing 2015's zoo visits I wondered how much time and money I spent visiting zoos, so this year I kept track: 137 visits (despite only four since mid-July), 412 hours spent in zoos, £926 spent on entry fees, and over £600 on transport to the zoos (not including flights, uber or services where I could pay by card). But 2016 was an exceptional year of zoo visits, and I'll spend at least 2017 trying to pay it back!

Last edited: 20 Dec 2016
  3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If I could add a third thing to my highlight list, it's having gone from having seen 0 species of Dasyurids to 3 within two months, 2 of which were on the same day! These being, in order, Tasmanian Devil (LA), Eastern Quoll (Bristol), and Kowari (Bristol).

~Thylo

4. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

If I could just add a highlight for the year: first successful hatching of an Indian gharial in the US happened this year at St. Augustine.

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

1. PERSONAL ZOO VISIT HIGHLIGHT

It's a tough choice between:
    • my first visit to Walsrode, and
    • meeting @ThylacineAlive and @kiang in August, getting to show the former around a handful of Scottish collections and meeting up with the latter at my favourite of the three, HWP.
    2. FAVOURITE PIECE OF ZOO NEWS

Not counting one piece of news which will remain redacted for now, this would have to be the breeding of Javan Green Magpies at Chester.

3. BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT

Revisiting Edinburgh Zoo after 3 years and finding that my fears were well-founded; seeing a collection I once loved so much in such a state nearly broke my heart.

kiang likes this.
  6. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just clear it up a bit, it´s not plan of only Prague Zoo. It´s an international project and Prague is part of it.

7. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not everyday you get to be apart of someone's highlight and biggest disappointment!:D

~Thylo

8. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I could say the same thing :p

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  9. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Personal highlights - from the zoo visiting point of view, visits to Chester and Paignton on successive days with nisha, Ophidia, Thylo and zoogiraffe (+ bongorob at Chester, which gave us all the opportunity for knee jokes). It was interesting to see the two zoos I know best with the benefit of Thylo's fresh perspective. From the photography point of view, I enjoy a challenge and the best challenges this year have been from Chester's chelonians: it has been a pleasure to see new species on display and they really are challenging to photograph. I hope for more opportunities in the future, but I think this is my best effort from this year - a painted batagur.
    [​IMG]
    Favourite piece of zoo news - I think I have to agree with TLD, first breeding of the Javan green magpies at Chester.
    Disappointments - missing the walk-and-talk with Tim at Chester, in spite of the best efforts of the AA (the Automobile Association, not the other one) and, while I am really grateful to Sim for his hard work on the behalf of all ZooChatters, I am still disappointed by the way our photos are displayed now.

10. ZooBoyNZ

ZooBoyNZ Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Personal Zoo Visit Highlight:
    - Seeing the openings of two great new exhibits at Auckland Zoo; "Pridelands Escarpment" and "Strangely Beautiful Australia."
    Favourite Piece of Zoo news:
    - An importation of 20 nyala from a private breeding facility in South Africa to New Zealand (currently in quarantine at Wellington Zoo) which will be going to various zoos in Australasia.
    Biggest Disappointment:
    The sad news of New Zealand's two remaining hippos, Fudge and Faith, passing away at Auckland Zoo.

11. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

1. Personal visit highlight was seeing the young Ratel born at Howletts.

Along with visiting a couple of zoos in Kent with Thylo!

2. The births of Aye Aye & Narrow striped mongoose at London, Malayan Tapir at Chester.
    News of several new mammal species which may be arriving in the UK next year.

3. Biggest Disappointment - Land of the Lions at London zoo.

Followed by the tree Kangaroo remaining offshow there.
    Marwell not improving at all & losing more species.
    Missing the Chester walk & talk Again! & apart from our aforementioned American friend, not meeting up with any of my zoochat friends in 2016.

12. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Personal Zoo Visit Highlight:
    Visiting Cat Haven again and catching up with park owner Dale.

Favorite Zoo News:
    (Two way tie)
    1. Black footed cat going on exhibit at San Diego Safari Park.
    2. Recent announcement of puma cub arriving at Cat Haven (which I will photograph at the start of the new year).

Biggest Zoo Disappointment:
    The substandard new AdventureLand at Wildlife World Zoo and Aquarium.

13. Nicky

Nicky Active Member

1) The visayan warty pigs in Berlin, a personal favourite animal

2) All the pangolin news

3) Belfast council, that is all

14. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

1. Visiting Santiago Zoo, Buin Zoo and Museo de Historia Natural in Chile, allowing me see and photograph various austral species new to me.
    2.- The successfull hatching of California Condors at Chapulptepec zoo in Mexico city which were later released in Baja California.
    3- The accidental death of gorilla Bantu at Chapultepec zoo, which allowed a vicious anti zoo campaign to force the resignation of the noted director and head vetenarian of Chapultepec zoo, Dr. Juan Arturo Rivera, who did not deserve to be treated this way.

15. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Thinking about this I've found it hard to follow the format, so I'll just do an approximation of that and hope no-one actually cares.

Highlight(s):

Two almost euphoric visits to Singapore Night Safari and Frankfurt Zoo, which both came at points when I really been questioning how much I actually enjoy zoos.

A wonderful day at Jurong with Zooish and devilfish. I want to make meeting more ZooChatters a point of emphasis in the future.

Breaking new ground at Vinpearl Safari. I hope this new zoo developes as it has the potential to, and not as might be predicted.

Lastly, my extraordinary behind-the-scenes visit at Plzen, to the "zoo within a zoo".

Disappointments:

Living in China for over a year now, I've finally come to the understanding that visiting zoos can't be my hobby in the way I would like. There's no more popping on a train to Hamerton or Howletts. The distances are much bigger here and frankly the zoos much worse. Now zoos are something I do on holiday. Fortunately I have lot of holidays!

Best news:

Honestly it seems like it's been a good year for the zoos I love. I even enjoyed Land of Lions! Here I'll probably choose Greater Bilbies and Golden Snub-nosed Monkeys being announced as coming to Europe: two of my all time favourite species.

A look ahead to 2017:

This summer will see another series of zoo visits on continental Europe; I'll have a smattering in Asia but nothing like last year.

I probably won't get there until 2018, but I'm looking forward to hearing about and seeing pictures of Pandasia at Ouwehands when it opens. Chinese exhibits in Western zoos have become something of an area of interest for me :)

16. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Personal Zoo Visit Highlight - a tie between:
    • This isn't a visit highlight, but working as an intern at the N.E.W. Zoo in Green Bay, WI, over the summer was a phenomenal experience that I will never forget!
    • At the Memphis Zoo (the highlight of five new zoos this year), having an up-close view of a giant panda.

Favorite Zoo News
    - the fact that Milwaukee County Zoo is FINALLY getting going on a new animal habitat project, specifically a new African elephant habitat!

Biggest Zoo Disappointment - The passing of Hot Lips, Milwaukee's last Asian black bear, and one of the very few left in the U.S.

17. premierfong

premierfong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

1) I only visited one Zoo this year, the Ueno Zoo in Tokyo.
    2) Nothing exciting in Canada.
    3) Removing the Sumatran Rhinosauras from Cincinnati Zoo.

18. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Its interesting to give this some thought!

1) Has to be achieving a long held ambition and visiting San Diego Zoo. Its a simple, basic thing but it has to be the highlight of the year for me. It wasn't perfect, maybe wasn't exactly as I expected, but still, brilliant. Honourable mention to the pleasant surprise that was Skansen in Stockholm, it was charming.
    2) Rising attendances, especially at my home zoo, Chester. I like to think the future is secure and growth will continue
    3) The death of the Pangolin at San Diego was disappointing, especially having just seen it a few weeks beforehand. The presentation was a highlight of my visit there.
    Also passing the gates of Dublin and Barcelona and visiting neither was a little frustrating, although written down looks a bit petulant - I'm sure I'll get to both in due course. :)

I wholeheartedly agree with Gentle Lemur, it would be nice if we could encourage photographers on here, both new and old. I was hoping the new board would give us the medium to do that. Maybe we can still work out a way.

19. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Skansen is a delightful place; did you have time to enjoy the non-zoological bits? It reminds me of Avoncroft or the Black Country Museum, both near Birmingham.

Does that mean there are no Pangolins on show at San Diego anymore?

20. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No, there are not, and it does not have any others. They've only had one since 2011.