Join our zoo community

YOUR 2020 (Covid aside)

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by kiang, 9 Dec 2020.

Tags:
  1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It's that time of year again folks, time to reflect on the year past, so here we go......

3 LITTLE QUESTIONS TO ANSWER ON YOUR 2020

1. PERSONAL ZOO VISIT HIGHLIGHT

2. FAVOURITE PIECE OF ZOO NEWS

3. BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT

devilfish likes this.
  2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

1. Haven't had my personal zoo visit highlight yet unfortunately but coming soon or in the new year.

2. The ongoing success of the buffy tufted marmoset breeding programe at Guarulhos zoo.

3. I think the closure of Bristol zoo probably.

3. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

1. Haven't had any new visits this year but I had my first visit to Cotswold in years which was a great time.

2. I guess the reopening of Monsoon Forest at Chester.

3. Despite never visiting, it has to be Bristol's closure.

4. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

1. Two personal zoo visits come to mind. Back in February, I visited Darling Downs Zoo along with a friend, and we were the only visitors that day! It was wonderful to have the zoo basically to myself. I also saw my first ever Cape Porcupine on that visit. The main zoo highlight however for 2020 was seeing this very memorable encounter between a pademelon and a tree kangaroo at David Fleay Wildlife Park when the keeper accidently let the pademelon into the its enclosure. It was also the first time I heard a tree kangaroo vocalise as well - a fantastic woof-like noise. Hard to describe.

2. Several pieces of news for Australian zoos – imports of Clouded Leopard and Black-and-white Colobus into Australia, and the birth of Caracals mainly. Three world first captive breedings as well which should also be applauded and given the attention they deserve – Crucifix Frogs at Melbourne Zoo, Alpine She-oak Skinks at Healesville Sanctuary and Kroombit Tinker Frogs at Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary.

3. The death of Australasia’s last Puma.

Last edited: 9 Dec 2020
  5. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I remember the first one, those photos of the boxing kangaroos really made me laugh, brilliant shots !

WhistlingKite24 likes this.
  6. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

1. Gotta be either Sea Otters in Birmingham with @cliffxdavis, or Exmoor in general (and Fanaloka and Ringtail in particular) with @ThomasNotTom.

2. Probably the arrival of Sea Otters in my own city. Internationally then it'll have to be Doucs arriving at Beauval.

3. Personally having to cancel my Hamerton visit twice was a bit of a blow. More generally the closure of both Living Coasts and Bristol Zoo are terrible losses for the UK zoo scene.

Let's hope 2021 is a happier and more fruitful year.

7. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Difficult one this year

1. PERSONAL ZOO VISIT HIGHLIGHT
    Nothing really stands out, but I might just go for seeing the little Asiatic black bear after driving all the way to Wingham.

2. FAVOURITE PIECE OF ZOO NEWS
    Bears again, this time a lot closer and such a good enclosure at Hamerton.

3. BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT
    The loss of several animals at Banham (Tiger, then Leopard cub and mum) and Thrigby (Snow leopard cub and Red panda kitt) in such a short spell.

8. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

1. My 2020 started very promising zoo-wise. I had enlightening experience in Burgers with Lintworm as a guide in the first days of January. In February managed to see the World Champion Bronx and to made the pilgrimage to the Zoo Mecca San Diego. Than everything went to ... I have seen some unique species, like Mountain Tapir, Steenbok or Saharan striped weasel, but the encounter with the Platypuses in SDZSP is unbeatable.

2. Arrivals of the female Yellow-backed Duiker in Frankfurt and the Swift foxes in Limbach-Oberfrohna and the opening of the Alfred Brem House in the Tierpark Berlin.

3. Any personal disappointment pale compered to the fact that many zoos and conservation project struggling and some, like aforementioned Living Coasts and Bristol Zoo were forced to close doors. Let's hope that this not going to happen with many others.

Last edited: 11 Dec 2020
    Brum likes this.
  9. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

1. My only zoo visit of the year was to HWP at the start of the year

2. A fair few pieces of favourite news were;

Red howler monkeys & Roloways (and breeding) at YWP
    Quokka breeding at Saitama
    Baikal seal born at Toba aquarium
    Collared falconet arriving at Hayle
    Weymouth's success with little penguins
    Bristol breeding Goodfellow's tree kangaroo
    Hamerton breeding their Wombats
    Sea otters arriving in the UK
    Red and white giant flying squirrel born at Todd's place
    The walrus & polar bear exhibits opening at Pairi daizi
    Harpy eagles arriving at Beauval & Nurnberg
    As well as the douc langurs arriving at Beauval too
    A Japanese serow born at Calgary
    Swift parrot hatched at Edinburgh
    Aye aye births at Jersey
    Owston's palm civet born at Newquay
    Owl faced guenon born at Zoo Berlin
    Indian rhino born at WMSP
    A female yellow backed duiker arriving at Frankfurt
    Black faced spoonbills arriving at Parc des oiseaux
    Aardvark born at Longleat
    Emperor penguins bred at Chimelong

3. The closure of Living coasts and the upcoming closure of Bristol

I'm a glass half full kinda person =)

TNT, Brum and twilighter like this.
  10. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

1 Finally seeing my first African Civets at Exmoor in October (then at Axe Valley the next day as well)

2 The bears at Hamerton, plus the Echidna and ringtail possum going on show.

3 The closure announcement for Bristol Zoo and the loss of Living Coasts.
    (Covid related, but was gutted to miss out on trips to Prague & Parc de Felins)

Brum likes this.
  11. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Are these on show yet? I couldn't see them the other day and didn't want to bother the staff asking.

12. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

US zoos visited: 4
    US zoos planned but not visited: more than 40.

13. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

1. Obviously not a great year zoo-wise, but I'm happy to have visited Zoo Granby and Safari Niagara, two pretty large and mostly good zoos in my local area.

2. Announcement of Walrus coming to the Toronto Zoo, it hasn't happened yet but it's great that such a cool species is coming to my local place.

3. Definitely the announced closure of Bristol and the closure of Living Coasts, even if I've never visited I knew about how great these places were and it sucks that I'll never have a chance to see them. The announced closure of Dallas's monorail was also not great; a really great exhibit and my favourite "zoo ride".

14. ChIkEn NuGrEt

ChIkEn NuGrEt Well-Known Member

1. When sitting in the viewing bubble at the Fort Worth Zoo, one of the North American River Otters (I think it was Hudson?) came up to me at was playing with me at the glass.

2. The closing of the Fort Worth Zoo's Asian Falls exhibit, I'm just excited to see the African Hunters and Asian Predators exhibit in a few years.

3. The closing of the Dallas Zoo monorail, I'm really sad to see it go, and I wonder what they'll do with the exhibits that could only be seen from it. Or the closing of the aquarium at fair park.

15. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

I think they plan on making the monorail tracks into a walking path. But that probably won’t be another few years due to covid. As for me

1. Probably seeing the renovated bear enclosure at Lake Superior zoo, as it took them forever to get it open.

2. This is a tough one, but i think it has t be the national zoos surprise panda cub.

3.allthugh I haven’t even been to the U.K (although id like to) it has to be the closer of both the living coasts & Bristol zoo.

Last edited: 12 Dec 2020
  16. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

1 - Seeing the Alagoas curassow at the Belo Horizonte zoo. In total, I visited two zoos and an aquarium in 2020.
    2 - The news about the Rio de Janeiro zoo and its works and reforms.
    3 - The closure of both the Living Coasts and the Bristol zoo. If you're talking about the biggest disappointment I had during one of my three visits, I'd say the gorillas at the Belo Horizonte zoo. I was able to see only one individual, even though seven specimens live in the exhibit.

17. red river hog

red river hog Well-Known Member

1. Seeing my first Black-footed Ferret in a while
    2. Madagascar exhibit at the Brandywine Zoo (or maybe the panda cub at DC or the baby pangolin at Columbus)
    3. 2020

18. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I didn't know that they had the Alagoas currassow on display over at BH zoo.

19. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

1. Personal zoo visit highlight: My visit to and stay in the resort at Pairi Daiza in early September, which I enjoyed very much and may well have been the two best days of my 2020.

My visit to the Domain of the Caves of Han Wildlife Park in July was another big highlight.

Also the Indian rhinoceros calf Vaiana born at my local zoo, Planckendael (and I actually visited my local pretty often considering the lengthy closures).

2. Favorite pieces of zoo news: Good breeding results with rare and endangered species at different zoos, despite the challenging circumstances, arrival of walrus at Pairi Daiza and Congo peafowl going on display again at both Planckendael and Antwerp.

3. Biggest disappointments: One can't really put aside the consequences of Covid-19 here, I'm afraid.

On a personal level these were the disease problems I have had with my chickens, my own mental struggles with the pandemic situation, not being allowed to visit my grandmother and not being able to go to the zoo for months.

At the societal level the devastating effects of Covid-19 on zoos and conservation.

amur leopard likes this.
  20. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Soon, apparently.