Join our zoo community

Your Favorite/Least Favorite Movies in 2018 and What 2019 Movies Are Yo Excited For?

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Hipporex, 25 Dec 2018.

1. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have three questions for you:
    1. What were your favorite movies of this year?
    2. What were your least favorite movies of this year?
    3. What 2019 movies are you most excited for?
    Here are my answers:

Top 10 Favorite 2018 Movies
    10. Solo: A Star Wars Story
    09. Bohemian Rhapsody
    08. Venom
    07. Halloween
    06. Ant-Man and the Wasp
    05. Ready Player One
    04. Rampage
    03. The Meg
    02. Avengers: Infinity War
    01. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

My Least Favorite 2018 Movies
    The only movie I saw this year that I truly didn't like was A Wrinkle In Time. While I also was the biggest fan of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald and The Darkest Minds, it wasn't that I didn't like them, I just thought they were meh.

Top 5 2019 Movies I'm Most Excited For
    05. The Lion King
    04. Captain Marvel
    03. Spider-Man: Far From Home
    02. Godzilla: King of Monsters
    01. Avengers: Endgame

I'm interested to hear what you all have to say. Feel free to give reasons why you did or didn't like movies you chose. (I simply chose not too),

Last edited: 25 Dec 2018
    Jambo, TheGerenuk and birdsandbats like this.
  2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Favorite Movie of 2018
    Avengers: Infinity War

Least Favorite Movie of 2018
    Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Most Anticipated Movie of 2019
    Avengers: Endgame

Some more categories:

Most Disappointing Movie of 2018
    Black Panther

Biggest Missed Movie of 2018
    Upgrade (can't believe I haven't seen it yet)

~Thylo

Mr. Zootycoon and Brum like this.
  3. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

Happy I’m not the only one who thought black panther was mediocre at best.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  4. Hipporex

I also agree with that statement. And yet it is a Golden Globe nominee for "Best Motion Picture" (for drama).

5. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yeah the story is shaky and the world building is pretty awful.

It's nominated at the Golden Globes for publicity purposes only.

~Thylo

TheEthiopianWolf03 likes this.
  6. Hipporex

It has also made the 91st Oscars Shortlist for "Best Visual Effects" which is total BS considering that final scene's CGI was greatly off at parts and I think various other films should be on the list in its place (notably some of the one's on my list)

7. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am not much of a movie watcher, but by far my favourite movie of the year was "The death of Stalin". A perfect absurd British comedy which was funny because it was true...

Ebirah766 and Brum like this.
  8. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Agreed, but to make it a top 5 I'll add Into The Spiderverse, Ant-Man & The Wasp, Deadpool 2, and Incredibles 2.

Agreed, with an honourable mention for Sherlock Gnomes.

Agreed, I'll also add Spider-Man:Far From Home, Lego Movie 2, and The Lion King remake.

Agreed, Fallen Kingdom could also go here as well.

Wreck It Ralph 2, the only movie from this year I want to watch but haven't yet.

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

The only movie mentioned so far that I've seen is Infinity War. I've also seen Mission Impossible Fallout and thought it was pretty alright. So I guess my favourite 2018 movie was that last one, and my worst was the first one.

10. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Blimey, Lintworm aside, it's all a bit lowbrow/popularist -don't you people get any cinematic roughage? :D Not that's there's anything wrong with a "hamburger" movie but I like a steak every now and then too.

I particularly liked (in no order): You were never really here, A quiet place, Annihilation, Mother (released prior year but I only saw in 2018), Avengers: Infinity Wars (superb ending), and Black Panther (the last two nicely chewed up the inward and outward ferry journeys between Harwich & the Hook of Holland). I thought Ballard of Buster Scruggs was messy and over-rated (like a lot of recent Cohen Brothers films).

Next year I'll be looking forward to Tarantino's Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, hopefully a new film by Nicholas Winding Refn and, of course, the Avengers "conclusion" (though I suspect the backtracking will annoy my nihilistic side).

11. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

This is my great fear as well.

12. Shorts

Indeed, it's rare circumstances to be forgiving when a drama/soap/film plays on your emotions by killing off a character then contriving to bring them back -it nearly always feels cheap and artless (not to mention commerciality writ large).

13. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Loved Infinity War, I saw it three times in theaters! Enjoyed Ant-Man a lot too, I'm a huge MCU fan, lol.

That Robin Hood movie was just awful. But I wasn't invested in it anyway, I only went cause my mom wanted to go and I drive her places. The theater did give us free pint glasses though, that was cool, I've never gotten free movie swag at a theater before. Wreck it Ralph 2 wasn't outright bad, but it wasn't very good and I found that disappointing cause I love the first movie.

I'm REALLY looking forward to Avengers: Endgame and Captain Marvel! I'm hoping I can make a Doctor Strange costume to wear to the Endgame premiere, I've always wanted to dress up for a movie premiere.

Brum, Jambo, Hipporex and 1 other person like this.
  14. Brum

I would just like to point out that my cinema trips are infrequent, and I'm usually accompanied by a little person so anything high-brow is a bit too much to ask. It also means I've had to endure such crap as Boss Baby! You have no idea how much I miss watching grown-up films with my mates... ;)

I did see one film without a child this year, but that was Infinity War, another "hamburger" meal but one I consumed without any guilt! :p

15. Shorts

Oh come on, they're never too young for their first Tarkovsky film*. :D

I can fully see where you're coming from, not having children myself I sometimes forget how all-consuming parenting can be. Conversely, I've been lucky enough to fairly freely explore my interests in various media over the years -that said, I appreciate the warm glow a parent gets from their children when they're on form (we'll ignore the off-form times :)).

* in reality, there's a stronger argument that you're never old enough for your first Tarkovsky film.

16. Brum

I'm a part-time parent, but that time is spent from Thursday afternoon and then Friday night until Monday morning, you know, the time of week most people make plans! ;)

Coming to parenthood at 28 meant I got a lot of time in my youth to appreciate the "finer" things, but when I was younger the finer things involved going out every weekend around the country raving and didn't involve much culture, nowhere looks good at 5am in the morning!. The joys of a Council estate upbringing and less than perfect friends... Yeah, I'm blaming my enviroment! :p

By far the best feeling ever, it makes up for the worrying, sleepless nights, and constant drain on your finances.

That's highbrow, even I had to Google that! :D

ThylacineAlive and Shorts like this.
  17. Shorts

That's what youth's for (mine lasted to early/mid thirties though being single for some good chunks of that time left a lot of spare time for music and film) :)

If it didn't look good at 5am maybe you were doing the wrong (or wrong magnitude of) intoxicants. I so need the Nirvana smiley here.

QUOTE="Brum, post: 1111391, member: 4750"]
    That's (Tarkovsky) highbrow, even I had to Google that! :D[/QUOTE]

It's a sacred cow to some cineastes and critics but I've, watched a handful and, found almost all over-long, over-brooding and over-rated. I hope there's no fans on the forum or things might get heated and off-thread (slightly nervous smiley).

Brum likes this.
  18. Brum

nirvana.jpg

ThylacineAlive and Shorts like this.
  19. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I remembered I also saw Death Wish which is a 2018 movie, and I just now watched The Predator.

So now my 2018 movie rankings go:

1) Mission Impossible: Fallout
    2) Infinity War
    3) Death Wish
    4) The Predator

Fourth place should not be taken to indicate a scale of how good it was... because it was not good...

20. Brum

Everyone I know who has seen it says the same thing, which is really putting me off but I still feel the urge to watch it because, well, it's a Predator film! :p