Join our zoo community

Youtube

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by aardvark250, 5 Jun 2018.

1. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Which youtube channel do you like? Which type of video you like most?

My favourite youtube channel is Brave Wilderness.

Other channel I subscribe include Trey the Explainer, Geography Now, OverSimplified and CGP Grey, just to name a few.

How about you?

Sarus Crane likes this.
  2. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My favorite channels are those that follow my initial zoo tour walkthrough style. Wish they'd be more active though;)
    Other than zoo related subjects I spend most of my time on YouTube watching anything related to movie facts: WhatCulture and ScreenRant

ZooNerd1234 likes this.
  3. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I watch a lot of media critic and analysis channels. Lindsay Ellis is my favorite, she actually just got a short video series on PBS digital this summer. Phelous, Linkara, The Dom, and Allison Pregler are other good ones. Phelous also reviews bootleg toys, those are really funny. He gets a Transformer knockoff that turns into the Titanic, lol.

Game Theory and Film Theory are good too. And there's a theme park channel called Defunctland, he mostly talks about closed down rides, shows, and amusement parks. Retail Archaeology talks about dead malls and retail stores, and Bright Sun Films talks about abandoned/closed stores, rides, theme parks, and more.

Okapipako likes this.
  4. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member 5+ year member

CGP Grey. Enough said

5. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I like a lot of channels. But rather than channels themselves, I often look for just individual videos. For animals I like @Moebelle's series on zoos. I haven't seen something like that since "Ultimate Zoo" and that was possibly the greatest zoo show ever. As a roller coaster fan I enjoy the channels Theme Park Review and Coaster Studios. I like being able to organize my favorite videos especially those on animals into specific species playlists.

Moebelle likes this.
  6. Okapipako

Okapipako Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@TheMightyOrca I love Lindsay! I had no idea about her new show, that's awesome. I'm subscribed to Defunctland as well, along with other theme park-related channels.

Most of my subscriptions relate to gaming, animation or other media-related interests. A lot of streamers, let's-players and reviewers - I'm addicted to Vinesauce and more recently Press Buttons 'n' Talk and Lucahjin. And for those as interested as I am in tacky roadside attractions I recommend the Carpetbagger. His enthusiasm and humor are really contagious, and he also visits many more popular (and "respectable"?) attractions, especially museums and at least a few zoos (although don't expect him to be the most knowledgeable about animals.)

I've only found a few zoology-related channels that catch my interest, including Trey the Explainer and TierZoo (really funny and well-done educational show with a tongue-in-cheek gaming twist). I've actually been looking for good, informative zoo walkthroughs so I'll definitely check out @Moebelle 's stuff!

7. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Football and Gaming channels mainly I watch on youtube.

I tend to listen to football related stuff in work and watch gaming channels outside of work.

Not really found anything zoo related I find enjoyable to watch but then not really looked.

8. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

To get you started;)

Zoo Tours

Okapipako likes this.
  9. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

As a newbie (and increasingly obsessive) orchid grower, I really like MissOrchidGirl's channel. She makes very well explained videos and has some lovely plants, but such a big collection I seriously don't know how she has space to live!

I'm learning German, and can just about understand Pepper Pig in German, for which there is a whole channel - Peppa Pig Deutsch - Offizieller Kanal.

And for zoos, my favourite is the channel run by Zoochat's very own @migdog :)

migdog likes this.
  10. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

One of my favorites is AfroHerpKeeper, a channel that details the care and management of a young mans reptile and insect collection. With over 30 species present and other wildlife and animal rescue vlogs it makes for a good watch.

I also have my own youtube channel, Inside The Zoo, though it has been inactive as of late and its future is up in the air at the moment.

Hipporex and natel12 like this.
  11. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Here's the link to her PBS series. One episode up right now, I don't know how often new episodes will appear.

It's Lit! | PBS

Okapipako likes this.
  12. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The one and only Philly D (Phillip DeFranco) will forever be a favourite of mine... In addition I watch the likes of PewDiePie, H3H3, KampKenan, Paul Cuffaro, WillNE, Drama Alert (keemstar), ImAlexx, Casey Neistat, NickNackGamig, Primitive Technology, Boogie2988... The list would carry on forever if I continued.

Edit - I second @Crowthorne, I also like to watch anything produced by @migdog .

TheMightyOrca and migdog like this.
  13. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I used to have a lot of orchids (and carnivorous plants and epiphytic plants and other such oddball flora). I liked to make epiphyte "trees" with orchids, bromeliads, ferns, etc.

Crowthorne likes this.
  14. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I like to watch Iisuperwomanii, Brian Barczyk, Taylor Nicole Dean, just to name a few.

15. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

I tend to watch lots of animal- and zoo-related videos (surprise, surprise), especially at times when I'm frequently daydreaming of going to Africa or someplace high in biodiversity, or when I want to "visit" a zoo I've never been to before. I was a big fan of SafariLIVE from late 2016 to early 2017 and often stood up late or got up early to tune into their streams. Other than that, I enjoy Nat Geo's channel, the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, AMNH or any other museum/zoo's channels.

Having an interest in dinosaurs, as well, I like this series called Your Dinosaurs Are Wrong. The host is very nerdy and can be extremely awkward at times, but there's a sort of charm to it, haha. The visuals and graphics are nice, too.

I live and travel vicariously through TheTimTracker, a wife/husband duo who live in Florida and go to DisneyWorld and nearby theme parks every day, it seems. I like a few movie review channels, The Nostalgia Critic and Chris Stuckmann, most notably.

But of course, I also love my raunchy humor, and for that I look to a "new" and upcoming fellow named Leon Lush, and the polarizing IDubbbz. For more family-friendly comedy, I really like Rhett and Link.

Other than that, I tend to get lost in "related videos" rabbitholes, and find myself watching all kinds of things across various genres.

16. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

I'm not at all knocking you for your opinion, but there's something I don't like about Coyote Peterson. I'd say I was a fan back in 2015, going into 2016 (his video about camel spiders piqued my interest). But with each new "Getting Stung/Bit/Pinched by..." video, I became skeptical.

What did it for me was his appearance on Conan. Conan asked him "Why do you do this?" and, like the smart-ass comedian he is, yelled something along the lines of "WE ALREADY KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!" when Coyote said he did it to educate others on what happens when you're bitten or stung by the things he's been bitten and stung by. And that felt really disingenuous to me. He clearly did all of those "challenges" for views, and now that he's got his following, he's reaping the rewards.

At least Steve Irwin did what he did with conservation in mind. He said he did those wild and crazy things to get peoples' attention, and when he had it, he delivered his message. Coyote's videos are educational, don't get me wrong, but since he gave that response to Conan, I've just been wary of him and have shied away from his videos.

17. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I just also feel Coyote is getting a bit....kooky. He still is a great person though.

18. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I like a variety of channels but if I had to chose my top 10 or so favorites, it'd be (in alphabetical order): Animalogic (animal videos), Ben G Thomas (science news videos), Camodo Gaming (gaming videos), Issac Butterfield (Australian comedian), Klayton Fioriti (Jurassic Park videos), Ohmwrecker (gaming videos), PBS Eons (paleontology videos), Sam O'Nella Academy (random education videos), TierZoo (animal videos), and Zoo Tours (zoo videos).
    I also have my own YouTube channel Animals: The Definitive Guide where I upload educational videos on animals. However, I must admit I upload somewhat infrequently (although I'm trying to change that) and the videos are all basically power points with background music, so don't expect anything too fancy.

19. felis silvestris

felis silvestris Well-Known Member

I watch random stuff plus my yt channel has 199 subs

20. dinosauria

dinosauria Well-Known Member

Mostly gaming, along with some animal videos.

felis silvestris likes this.