Join our zoo community

Zambi Wildlife Retreat

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Rough, 2 Nov 2014.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

so... some random person "hacked" your email provider from another city so that they could start an account here to talk about Zambi, before you joined to talk about Zambi? That, um, seems like a bit of a stretch.

2. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Do you know if Zambi plan on opening to the public anytime soon? I can't imagine that the diversity of animals would be much (lions, tigers, monkeys, puma and a single elephant) but i'm sure it could become a well-known animal attraction in south-western Sydney (which is sadly lacking atm). They could also take in surplus/phase-out animals from the bigger facilities.

3. zebrazag

zebrazag New Member

Tracey, I wasn't suggesting you call Donna Wilson to clarify her position at Zambi Wildlife Retreat, if you had read what I'd written it was directing you to ask some legitimate questions as to who owns the animals in question at the property in response to you wanting proof. As a charity organisation they would have to disclose that information to you legally. I think you are getting a little off the track here with what this post is about and trying to turn it in to a debate when really we are just sharing truthful facts.

I am very well informed on the licensing process, I have had to help with licensing applications with DPI previously. As for who is paying the bills, the Bullens certainly aren't and it's the unsuspecting public footing the bill for Bullens animals when it comes down to it. I've got nothing against the Bullens but I do have problems with a so-called charity getting unnecessary donations for animals which are not theirs.

I donated a substantial amount of money to ZWR before I knew that the animals I was supporting were owned by millionaires. The charity does not rent the land that Zambi Wildlife Retreat is located on, but they pay the bills and for the care of the animals (point being, the animals aren't owned by the charity) conflict of interest?

The Bullens let the charity lend the animals to generate funds, which to me seems quite misleading, when people are donating money to support those particular animals that are supposed to be "in need"?

4. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Before I start I will say I am a fan of Zambi and am not here to bag them out. But I believe in accuracy and it is the same Government department that issues licences for both Exhibitors and Private owners, Trade and Investment, or Industry or DPI (They have changed their name a few times over the years).

Zambi is on the Bullen's Property. The exotic animals may well be owned by the Bullen's. Wild Animal Encounters also use Bullen's animals. Zambi's goal is to move to another property and open to the public eventually. At the moment they are sharing resources, what's the problem with a charity getting a helping hand to start off?

5. Jabiru96

6. Jabiru96

No Cookies | Daily Telegraph

7. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...r/news-story/ea16b29824e0aff41339ff2dd2b4ef12

Operation fights for the eye of the tiger

NICK HANSEN, The Daily Telegraph
    November 16, 2016 8:24pm [​IMG]
    THERE is new hope in the fight to save Western Sydney’s cross-eyed Bengal tiger Indira from losing her sight.

A team of doctors were about to put the 16-year-old beauty, who featured in the blockbuster movie Anaconda, under the knife yesterday when they noticed her medication had already begun to straighten her eyes.

The pro-bono medical team from University of Sydney’s vet hospital were delighted with the progress along with her owners from Zambi Wildlife Retreat, Wallacia.

It was welcome news for the big cat herself, who has struggled to find food tossed into her cage and been picked on by other tigers since her sight began deteriorating a few years ago.

“If we still need to come back and try to straighten the eyes up a little bit more we will but the correction that’s occurred … has corrected it a lot anyway,” veterinary ophthalmologist Cameron Whittaker said.

Scans taken earlier this year also revealed Indira will need a root canal surgery on a tooth.

ZWR director Donna Wilson hand-raised Indira and has struggled to see her health decline.

“It has been difficult watching such a beautiful animal’s sight decline over the years,” Ms Wilson said.

8. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Husband, wife high-five after four hour operation to save the sight of a Bengal tiger
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/en...r/news-story/526dd54ae834842c9b29e16918c52af9
    AN Australian first operation to save the sight of a Bengal tiger has been cautiously hailed a success.

Husband-and-wife surgeons Cameron Whittaker and Kelly Caruso high-fived each other after the four-hour operation on Indira at University of Sydney Veterinary Teaching Hospital yesterday afternoon.
    After they removed cataracts from her eyes, the pair implanted an artificial lens especially manufactured in Germany for the 16-year-old big cat.

Indira would have lost sight completely within 12 months without the surgery.

Owner Donna Wilson said the waiting game was tough.
    “I was very anxious, I didn’t sleep last night, I’ve been with Indira her whole life,” she said.

Ms Wilson said early signs showed the surgery was a success, but recovery and further treatment would take months.

tdierikx likes this.
  9. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

From a photo on socials it appears Zambi have recently received a new Tiger (I assume a generic).

An official announcement will likely be made soon.

Abbey likes this.
  10. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The fur looks quite light, so I’d assume a generic - probably from Dreamworld.

Dreamworld are going non contact, so will be keen to shift some of their adults on to breed a new litter.

One of their three young males is a likely candidate:

1.0 Javi (26/04/2019) Pi x Adira
    1.0 Zakari (26/04/2019) Pi x Adira
    1.0 Khan (25/05/2019) Raja x Nika

Last edited: 7 Dec 2022
  11. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The new tiger is Nika from Sydney Zoo. She’s been retired to Zambi, following the death of her mate (male Sumatran tiger, Raja).

Reported on socials.