Join our zoo community

ZooDoo Wildlife Park Zebras for Tasmania

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Astrobird, 13 May 2014.

1. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Zebras crossing to Tassie zoo all the way from Texas | The Mercury

THREE zebras are on their way to Tasmania from Texas.

Zoodoo keeper Ashlie Burnett flew to the US and has been with the seven-month-old zebras since Christmas.

Ms Burnett has helped rear the animals and prepare them for their trip.

They are part of a group of 10 -- five males and five females -- who will introduce new blood lines into Australia to breed

"It has been many years since a fresh gene-pool of zebras has been imported to Australia and never in history has there been a group of this magnitude imported simultaneously to Australia," Ms Burnett said.

She said she had fallen in love with the little zebras and was sure Tasmanians would too when they arrived

2. Astrobird

Another article about the Zebras

Life’s a laugh as arrivals earn their stripes | The Mercury

THREE baby zebras have arrived on Tasmania soil after a long journey from Texas.

Two female foals, named Beyonce and Dutchess, and a male who goes by Zinty are believed to be the first zebras to set hoof in the state.

The trio are settling into their new home in Richmond at wildlife park Zoodoo after a four-day flight from Texas via Singapore to Brisbane.

The five and six-month-old foals spent four days in quarantine before they were driven to Hobart via the Spirit of Tasmania.

Zoodoo director Trevor Cutriss said they arrived in great condition.

“They have been raised by humans since birth, so unlike wild zebra, which are very skittish, these are very comfortable being around us,” he said.

Zoodoo handler Ashlie Bennett spent time in Texas helping to raise the zebras.

It has cost more than $40,000 but Mr Cutriss said the striped foals were part of a bigger plan to have a drive-through African safari experience at the wildlife park.

Next year giraffes and other African hoofed animals will arrive.

Zoodoo already has lions and meerkats

3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No mention of which species, but based on the photos I am guessing plains zebras? Also no mention of which Texas facility they came from.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

yes plains/common zebra. They didn't come from a specific Texas zoo, they were just imported as a group from Texas. The ten zebra came from various locations in (I might not have this quite right) Texas, Utah, Oklahoma and Arkansas. I think they are all unrelated to one another -- and, more importantly, are unrelated to all other zebra in Australia.

5. Astrobird

Zebra express takes to the road at Zoodoo wildlife park

Zebra express takes to the road at Zoodoo wildlife park | The Mercury

LITTLE Amity Cruickshank is so in tune with Zoodoo’s zebras she has them eating out of her hand.

The eight-year-old, from Sorell, donned her favourite onesie for the up-close catch up.

The three zebras, all aged under nine months, have only recently arrived in the state and are believed to be the first zebras in Tasmania.

The wildlife park now has a new zebra print bus so that visitors can ride through the zebra enclosure
    “People can get up close and personal with the zebras, they can reach out of the bus and pat them,” Zoodoo director Trevor Cutriss said.

“The zebras are not scared of the bus because we’ve painted it in zebra colours.

“I don’t think there’s anywhere else in Australia where you can get this close to zebras.

“These ones are pretty tame and used to humans.’’

Mr Cutriss said the two female foals, named Beyonce and Dutchess, and a male called Zinty have settled in well at their Richmond home.

6. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

They are not scared of it (the bus) because its painted zebra colours????

7. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does anyone no the cost of bringing in the Zebras into the country?

Am l right to assume that each receiving zoo paid for each Zebra in a cost breakdown?

Did Darling Downs put out feelers to all Aust zoos and ask who was interested?

8. khakibob

khakibob Well-Known Member

Why would you enquire about this on a public forum?

Khakibob

9. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Your right,

I do forget that this is a public forum!

However my intent is not malicious or calculated, l am simply genuinely curious. So if someone wanted to reply via pm or discuss this topic here I see no real harm would be done.

Like a couple of other zoochatters I have my name on all my posts, l think by doing this I can allow myself a certain amount of freedom to post what l am thinking as l do not post anonymously and remain accountable for my posts.