Join our zoo community

Zebras in Major American Zoos

Discussion in 'United States' started by snowleopard, 9 Oct 2021.

1. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I know Fresno Chaffee had them in years past at least, I've seen them there in person. I don't know anything on their current status though.

2. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

From what I understand the zebras were in the what was always planned to be the second elephant yard. It now functions as that. I can imagine once the zoo decided having 2 large exhibits for its elephants was a better decision than maintaining zebra in one. Since they often don’t mix well I can imagine the zoo simply decided it was best to send them away, rather than try to integrate them in another exhibit.

Great Argus likes this.
  3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

Zoo Tampa keeps Hartmann's Mountain and formerly kept Grevy's.

*edit
    The Grevy's at ZT were in a mix species with White Rhinoceros.

Last edited: 11 Oct 2021
  4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Of note is that Grevy's (the largest species) is reportedly more cantankerous than the other species and more difficult to mix with antelope. San Diego Wild Animal Park initially had them in the savanna when they opened in the 1970's but had to move them to their own yard. The only zoo where I have seen Grevy's with other hoofstock is Caldwell Zoo (which also has warthogs in the mix, something I have not seen at other zoos either). My local Reid Park Zoo has (or had) ostrich with Grevy's, but not other hoofstock.

twilighter and StoppableSan like this.
  5. LycaonSekowei

LycaonSekowei Well-Known Member

6. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Simply type a name of an institution or the city it is located in and generally it will show up in the "View Licensees" tab. This is all the different license holding institutions, then click on "Query Inspection Reports" to see all of the inspections by the USDA. Generally institutions rather regularly get normal inspections, during which the inspector will list all mammal species seen and the number of them they have (this is not 100% perfect as sometimes it is self reported and such, but its generally pretty accurate). As well institutions that are found to have issues with inspections will often get targeted follow up visits to make sure issues are remedied.

BenFoxster and IndianRhino like this.
  7. LycaonSekowei

LycaonSekowei Well-Known Member

8. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I like Cleveland's Hartmann's Mountain Zebra exhibit. It's very nice and scenic. How many do they currently keep?

9. ZebraDude95

ZebraDude95 Active Member 5+ year member

I believe they have two males: Rogan and Franco.

Sarus Crane likes this.