Join our zoo community

Zion Wildlife Gardens Zion Wildlife Gardens case adjourned

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Peter Dickinson, 20 Jan 2010.

1. Peter Dickinson

Peter Dickinson Well-Known Member

Zion Wildlife Gardens case adjourned

A court appearance for Zion Wildlife Gardens to hear charges laid against the park has been postponed.

The charges, for failing to take steps to ensure safety of employees, were laid by the Labour Department, following the fatal mauling of big cat keeper Dalu MnCube last May.

Representatives of the park were to be in Whangarei District Court on Wednesday, but the charges have been adjourned, without plea, until mid February.

Peter Dickinson

2. snugglemuffin

snugglemuffin New Member

Hi,
    i am really upset to hear that craig has had his park taken from him, could someone please fill me on the details as to why this has happened.

3. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Read through the countless threads on him and you might find out. Since your new to Zoochat click on forums at the top of the home page , scroll down to New Zealand and you will find them there.

Welcome by the way :)

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

5. Chlidonias

court case was to be held in mid-January but was adjourned till mid-February - now adjourned again till early April
    Zion Wildlife Gardens Charges Adjourned Without Plea | Voxy.co.nz
    Charges over lion keeper's death adjourned - National - NZ Herald News

6. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. Peter Dickinson

Peter Dickinson Well-Known Member

It is the same incident. For some reason dredged up again by a couple of papers some three weeks ago.

8. Chlidonias

Last edited: 4 Apr 2010
  9. ptig

ptig Well-Known Member

Zion Wildlife Garden Pictures

I saw that picture last week. They needed at the time a professional staff that knew what they were doing. Fortunately this was taken over a year ago and these types of practices have stopped. Not too bright!

10. crazy-cat

crazy-cat Well-Known Member

I must admit I wasn't too suprised that the hearing had ben adjourned !

11. jenjen

jenjen Well-Known Member

wow my jaw dropped when i saw that photo.
    if i was standing in that crowd i would have run a mile. that tiger had its front paws on the top of the fence, it would have been so easy to pull itself over the top. i am glad this practice has been stoped.
    what an incredible (for all the wrong reasons) photo.

i wounder if the park can survive without craig and the tv series money. (do many people want it too.) i dont like the place but what about the animals if it is forced to close.

12. cheetahgirl

cheetahgirl Well-Known Member

i think that craig should get zion back because he opened it and the remaining members of staff are treating the remaining animals cruelly and at the moment they are not breeding:(. dalu might not've been killed :(if craig was there.

from what i saw on 'lion man' he was doing a great job. :)
    BRING CRAIG BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):)

13. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

What you saw was what they wanted you to see. Many of us weren't happy with what we saw anyway.

Do you really think Busch would have hired staff that would be cruel to the animals if he wasn't around? Don't be naive. Read all the posts in the threads, and read the links and news stories too. Ignore the propaganda and make up your own mind.

:p

Hix

14. Shere_Khan

Shere_Khan Member

Hix is right. It's called "editing".

15. cheetahgirl

cheetahgirl Well-Known Member

i dont mean the staff that craig hired they are fab :) it's praticia and the other staff that she hired.:( they have been making the cats climb up the mesh of their enclosures.:(

16. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

And when were those fences installed? The reason the cats can now climb up those fences is because the practice of de-clawing has been stopped, this is an extremely cruel and barbaric practice, far more so than making the animals climb up fences which are evidently too low. It was during Craig's time at the park that this was carried out simply so he could look good on Animal Planet. Next time you make statements like this, base them on facts and not one newspaper article.

17. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

So are you going to complain about South Lakes Wild Animal Park in the UK for feeding their Big Cats on poles as well,I`m sorry but its a reconised method of enrichment for Big Cats,please do some research before you say something is cruel.
    As for letting Craig have this park I feel it would be the worse thing that anybody could do for these Big Cats but then I`m not blinded by the ******** from the TV series like you seem to be.

18. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Only the naive or the very, very young would form an opinion of a facility or it's practices from what they glean from the media or some internet sites.

In this country we have seen media "editing" used to promote a negative view of a zoo [Darling Downs] and a positive view of an elephant birth [Taronga].

19. Chlidonias

I think cheetahgirl falls more into the second camp (and into the first only due to her age). I am guessing she is in her very early teens.

20. Chlidonias

this case has been adjourned and adjourned and adjourned. Now it appears to be set for June 6

Lion Man filming show in Africa | Stuff.co.nz
    big surprise (not!) that "Craig is not planning to return to New Zealand in the near future"