Join our zoo community

Zoo Animals Populations that will Expand in the Future

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 28 Aug 2016.

1. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

I don't like to be ignorant neither I can be dangerous (how you mean dangerous?), nor want to act like that.
    I kindly asked for explanation why 1,000 trees are needed for one koala, I don't see why that would be not knowledgeable.
    Many people are percieved on another way, different from what they actually are, that's the painfull truth and can't be avoided.
    Plus everyone have different personality/attitude and cultural backround. But OK if you don't like my style you can tell me that you just don't want to communicate with me, or to remind me like with this post, so I can change the way I am writing and try soften my atittude.
    In no way I have been rude, disrespectfull or uncultural with any zoochatter. I kindly ask for thing that I don't know/Im interested in, and I am not claiming myslef that I am superior (like in the Dunning-Kruger effect).

Last edited: 25 Oct 2016
    Kakapo likes this.
  2. Nikola Chavkosk

No the EAZA guidelines were not for koalas, just it was mentioned like example 1,000 are needed for a koala.
    I want to ask MRJ because I have realised that he is actually running a zoo with koalas, though he said 1,000 trees per koala, I would want to read why so many trees, when one koala consumes about 0.4 kg per day and if we can assume that the mass of leaves on an adult gum tree is huge with plenty of young leaves?

Kakapo likes this.
  3. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

I mean dangerous in an animal welfare sense. As I've pointed out to you before on the site, many things you propose for keeping animals border or cross well into the territory of unethical.

There is no bias against cultural background whatsoever.

Actually, you have been rude towards several members, albeit unknowingly perhaps. This includes posting member's names on the forum and getting into arguments.

4. Nikola Chavkosk

Any example? I don't see nothing that I have write in respect to keeping of animals as unethical, perhaps maybe capture of all Javan rhinos.

I appologise for that.
    Isn't arguments part of a disscusion? I don't see them as rude.
    I would end with this post regarding this thread because it is not about main focus (started to look like a circus :) ) of Zoochat anymore.

Last edited: 25 Oct 2016
    Kakapo likes this.
  5. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

We keep southern koalas, much larger than qld koalas, and eat up to 1kg of leaf. Koalas are very selective and smell each leaf to select the best to eat. For each kilo of leaf consumed there are several kilos of rejected leaf, stems and branches that are waste.

Older tougher leaves wear their teeth down. Koalas forced to eat old leaf loose their teeth and starve to death prematurely.

In the wild a koala will stay in one full grown tree for only a couple of days before moving on. Trees can be up to 40 metres tall with the best leaf at the top. Koalas are adapted to reach the leaf but how are you going to harvest it?

The answer is a plantation with coppiced trees kept to about head height. However each tree will produce a lot less leaf than a full grown tree (but the amount of leaf we could physically harvest economically would be about the same). Plus you need several species as koalas can change their preferences without notice. Thus 1000 trees.

6. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The problem is that your arguments are opinions. Opinions that are not enriched or supported by knowledge and/or experience. When people that point that out you just keep pointing out your opinion even when it is complete nonsense. Sometimes it is better to read and listen than to talk. And asking questions is welcomed but I would recommend asking them without the nonsense they are accompanied by till now.

7. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The three rhino species in Europe seem to be expanding at a rate not seen, with white rhino having been bred in major numbers for a couple of decades, now it seems both the blacks and the Indian rhino populations are on the way up, with a load more holders and first time breedings (esp Indian) being reported.

8. Nikola Chavkosk

I have studied whole 6 years (11 semesters) of Veterinary medicine (including nutrition and welfare of exotic animals), and the studies were not useless and I enjoyed them particularly when wild animals/birds were in question. Plus I am often implying on research findings, in presentation of my opinions. I had practice too in a zoo holding among other animals, giraffes, hippos, siamangs and other smaller non-human primates, big cats, raptors, etc. And of course most of my opinions are based on what I have read in the last 8 years from research done at zoos, from official EAZA documents, even from the Zoochat itself, before I became a member (some 3-4 years on occassion), etc.
    I can't identify what is nonsense, can you list any example? I'am serious please.

Last edited: 27 Oct 2016
  9. Nikola Chavkosk

I have done some investigation (Rhinoceros TAG 2008 and Zootierliste), and find out that numbers in Europe, of black rhinos increased from 79 in 2008 to 84 in 2015, and that of Indian rhinoceros, from 53 in 2008 to 66 in 2015!

10. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Studying Veterinary Medicine does not make you a Wildlife and Zoo Vet yet. Especially as many Veterinary studies have too little experience with these species and do focus on production and companion animals. What I know of Veterinary Medicine studies in Macedonia these are not known for Wildlife and Zoo Veterinary Science. And I can tell you that many Vets with many years of experience are ignorant when dealing with Zoo animals. I would encourage you to check EAZWV and consider joining them www.eazwv.org . And even though your enthousiasm is admirable you do seem to pick the wrong conclusions from what you read. The above example on Koalas is one of these, so what your proposal on Javan Rhinos as was some of your ideas on what to do with smuggled animals. Which might be reflected by your age and I think many of us had similar views when we had finished or almost finished our studies, but with experience moderation comes. And if you aspire a zoo career as a Vet or in another role, you being with you full name on Zoochat with these bold statements might not help you. This is sad, but it is also reality.

11. Nikola Chavkosk

Ok it is enough.
    I did't wrote that study in veterinary medicine would make me a zoo or wildlife vet, but just I have some basic to more advanced knowledge.

12. Nikola Chavkosk

I can't just without to add on this: Regardless how controversial I am (If at all, depending on how you see the things) and even though I had zoo with koala(s) and with only 30 gum trees (wich OK is highly unlikely, especially if Australian government imposes that receiving institutions must have at least 1,000 planted gum trees), that does not mean that koala(s) will stay without food and will know what excactly to do in such case eventually (eg. either intervent supply of enough gum tree leaves or eventually sending of koalas to near zoo wich holds koalas, like in Duisburg, Dresden, Vienna, Budapest or Antwerpen for example). First of all I am animal lover and would never allow animal to suffer (actually don't like even to crush a beetle with my shoe). Here are also animal rights activists/organisations (and yes they're loud also here (and should be) in this country) and inspections that will not allow animal suffering.
    As for the smuggled animals, what would you propose if let say for example, they will be seized in Germany and can't be returned to the wild? Surely you will not propose their humane killing, but instead sending them in a zoo would be a better option for them.
    Many things here on the forum, are taken too personaly by some zoochatters.

Last edited: 27 Oct 2016
  13. Nikola Chavkosk

Ok, we already have a new European holder of Venezuelan red howler, namely the Gaia zoo in the Netherlands with receiving of 1.1 monkeys from Apenheul. The total holder number of this species in continental Europe is 5 (with around 35 animals!), and there are two other holders who are participating, from the French Oversea territories, bringing the total number of holders to 7.

The Tasmanian devil is on expansion way too, with already 4 holders in Europe!

However, the number of koala holders reduced from 12 to 11 (with Budapest zoo no longer keeps koalas - what are the reasons?)

Last edited: 18 Apr 2017
  14. Nikola Chavkosk

Actually from Cologne zoo, not from Apenheul, my mistake. :oops:

Last edited: 18 Apr 2017
  15. Nikola Chavkosk

The Javan leopard, already present in 3 zoos in Europe. And 3 cubs born in Berlin (?).

16. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

I found this thread multiple times and I've enjoyed reading what people thought. I was particularly interested in the rising population of the Ethiopian mountian viper and gelada (Since I'm Ethiopian).

I'm about to get a lot of hate for this next statement. I support the export ban of Ethiopian wildlife. I don't want any of Ethiopia's endemic wildife end up like the Sumatran rhinoceros. But it seems that many zoos are doing fine with geladas and mountian vipers. When it comes to the other endemic wildife though, I 100% agree with how my country operates with their wildlife.

I'm kinda confused what you are suggesting Nikola. Can you please explain what it is that you are saying?

17. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Why do you think this?

18. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

People are pretty passionate what animals should be in zoos. Especially people who really want a cheaper option to see an Ethiopian wolf instead of traveling to the actual country itself. In the case of zoochat, I fear that the "zoo builders" and people who just dislike export bans won't see what I'm saying. I won't name any names though.

19. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The vast majority of zoo visitors isn't interested in Ethiopian wolves; they're more interested in the ABC animals depicted in the children storyboooks they grow up with or what they see on TV (meerkats...). The times of zoos buying and showcasing rare animals just to please some "species nerds" are, with few exceptions, mostly passé. And it is neither "PC" nor does it make much sense from an animal ethic and conservation point to catch, export and publicly exhibit an endangered species just to entertain some 1st World zoo visitors.
    So if you want to see live Ethiopian wolves, you will have to visit them in Ethiopia, with the accompanying positive (support of local tourism) and negative aspects (energy wasted to travel there and back).

20. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Basically your country is acting foolishly when it comes to wildlife, if taking a closer look. No exports is an arguable rule, but that does mean that you have to take care of the endemic species within the country and Ethiopia is failing miserably. All national parks see high levels of encroachment of livestock and dogs and no serious efforts are taken to curb that. Hunting permits for mountain nyala and many other species are easily available as well, but conserving habitats is of very low priority...Ethiopian wolf populations in Bale, the main stronghold have dropped again by 50% in recent years because they cannot keep dogs out of the park which are spreading canine distemper... The only place the Ethiopian government seems to care for their wildlife is at Bole airport, where international arrivals are met by nice pictures from all the endemic mammals that still call Ethiopia their home... Ethiopian policies do not seem to have anything to do with common sense and in the case of banning exports more with national pride...