Join our zoo community

Zoo Animals Populations that will Expand in the Future

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 28 Aug 2016.

1. animalszoos

animalszoos Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think the Chacoan Mara could potentially be seen in more zoos (at least) across Europe. They breed easily and require very similar conditions to the more numerous Patagonian Cavy. A few zoos have obtained them recently and there are some currently in private collections.

HungarianBison likes this.
  2. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It's not that simple actually. Chacoan mara are much more sensitive than Patagonians, and more fragile too. They also generally don't do very well in open-topped enclosures. Many animals currently in zoos originate from the privately kept stock or animal dealers.

If there is enough interest, the Chacoan mara could potentially reach the numbers of the more abundant agouti species, but I doubt it will ever be as common as the Patagonian cavy (which is far easier to keep).

Batto likes this.
  3. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

On what do you think, TheEthiopianWolf03. You are asking me what I am saying with the goal of this thread, or with what/ Or can you quote particular post of me that is confusing you, if that is case.

4. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

The problems that you have listed are problems that happen with many other 3rd world countries. When I get the proper education, I plan on trying to find solutions to these issues. But until then not much is being done.

I'll make a separate thread about this issue after I finish my review thread.

I didn't really understand what you were trying to say when you posted about how "The smuggling of the Ethiopian mountain viper is a good thing for the sake of conservation". Unless I read it wrong can you please explain what you were trying to say?

5. Nikola Chavkosk

Thanks to smuggling, we now have a captive self-sustainable population of many wild animals including Fiji-banded iguana, when countries do not allow export for conservation purposes. The same is case with Ethiopian mountain viper.

6. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Are you seriously sanctioning wildlife trafficking @nikola?

7. Nikola Chavkosk

I don't support it, but it proved feasible with certain small animals. Of course if continuous, it would be very detrimental.

8. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That would be most welcome indeed. You are right Ethiopia is a 3rd world country, but many 3rd world countries in eastern and southern Africa take conservation very seriously these days, this includes countries like Malawi, which is just about the poorsest country in Africa. For Ethiopia it just doesn't seem to be a priority, which is a shame because it is a wonderful country, which is being mismanaged since over 60 years unfortunately...

9. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

But does that really help? Do you think that smuggling wildife helps the growth of population of species in captivity? Or does it just promote wildife smuggling even more? It may help one species but it could make another species go extinct entirely.

10. Nikola Chavkosk

As I wrote, a continuous and smuggling of large numbers of animals from a species, would be very detrimental, but establishing a basic nucleus of around 20 animals can be very helpfull for ex-situ conservartion.

11. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

Visayan warty pig! 2 pigs arrived to Budapest in 2016, now the zoo has 13 Visayan pigs.

12. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

Koalas were died in cancer:(

13. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The number of zoos keeping them grew like crazy in the early-mid 2010's, though it seems to have stabilized a bit more recently. I wonder how much a "fashion species" they were and how many of the zoos currently keeping them will be keeping them in 10-15 years (though they are an endangered species, so they'll probably still be bred and be around).

Pertinax likes this.