Join our zoo community

ZOO Antwerpen Zoo Antwerpen news 2023

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by KevinB, 16 Feb 2023.

1. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Rüppell's vultures in the savanna aviary have laid a fertile egg.

The egg is currently in an incubator, while the birds are sitting on an artificial egg. They plan to return the chick after hatching.

2. Sicarius

Sicarius Well-Known Member 5+ year member

During a brief visit today, I noticed a couple new species that are currently on show, only the emerald spiny lizard was signed:
    - Red-fronted siskin (Serinus pusillus)
    - Tiburon green anole (Anolis chlorocyanus)
    - Guatemalan emerald spiny lizard (Sceloporus taeniocnemis)
    - White-blotched river stingray (Potamotrygon leopoldi) / some specimens looked like they could also be P. henlei
    -
    Chinese high-fin banded shark (Myxocyprinus asiaticus)

Two gobies and another anole are yet to be identified to species level. I will give an update as soon as I know more.

3. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks for the update, really cool to hear that the serins are back on-show! Interesting about the anoles as well, in which exhibit did you see the Tiburon green anole?

Is the unidentified anole coincidentally the individual in the picture below? I saw this unsigned in one of the frog terraria back in October 2020, but had no clue what it was...
    [​IMG]

Perseus6 likes this.
  4. Sicarius

Sicarius Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Anolis chlorocyanus is new in the collection. A single individual, living together with dart frogs in the first terrarium on the wall of smaller enclosures. The anole in your picture is Anolis marmoratus marmoratus, I identified it as such in 2021. I don’t think this species is still alive. I did not see it during my last visits, not behind the scenes either.

ifesbob, Perseus6, Vision and 2 others like this.
  5. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone know if the Mishmi takin will be replaced soon?

6. Perseus6

Perseus6 Well-Known Member

The Mishmi Takins have permanently left the collection. There were talks about Barbary sheep replacing them the exhibit is currently being refurbished.

7. Perseus6

Some updates:
    Mandrill Elvis died at 19, out of the autopsy there came that his heart was really weak. He died after steroid and antibiotic treatment, they decided to do more tests because the treatment didn't take. During the preliminary sedation he passed away, not even making it to the anesthetic phase. The remaining 4 females are going to stay split. Mandrills will leave the collection, if no solution will be found they will go behind the scenes at planckendael or even join the Spectacled bears when the Jubilee complex is finished.
    The spider monkey baby will probably be female. The vet still has to confirm this. This birth was unplanned. The spider monkeys will join the Spectacled bears when the Jubilee complex is finished.
    The small monkey building will be demolished(don't know when?). And plans are a greenhouse will be built that will have free roaming claw monkeys and have a tropical climate. It will house more small mammals, with some nocturnal animals perhaps.( possibly sloths, tamanduas, loris that are behind the scenes, all still iffy)
    The chimpanzee group is still split with Chita getting multiple females. The Coordinator apparently really wants offspring not even looking at sub species anymore. The other males are kept with some females. Still no pregnancies. And a reluctance to electroejeculation and IVF techniques.
    The elephant paddock is being worked on with the expansion focusing more on experience, so no more visible barrier with the ropes but a pit will be dug apparently. Elephants staying in Antwerp long term is probably a no, however the current expansion can easily be added to the savanna and elephants will probably stay for around 10 years. Assam has a chain on but they had to add some fabric around it because of the multiple guest comments. They are trying to habituate him to it however he doesn't like it due to his past. Assam's move is known and will probably be announced around summer time. Assam will definitely go to a bachelor group and will probably not breed soon. He is a special elephant with a bad past in Hamburg. The next elephant arriving is also known and the arrival is hoped to be scheduled on the same day as Assam's departure. Sam has entered must for the first time. It's more of a premust but a significant development. But the transport will also depend on Kanvars possible departure since the KMDA only has 1 elephant crate that they designed themselves and they really want to use it.
    Some of the W lion triplets will be moved to Whipsnade. The transport is still not fixed but the move should happen in May.(All not announced yet)

StoppableSan, Keith and KevinB like this.
  8. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Mandrills and spectacled bears being mixed is certainly a new one, unless I am misinterpreting that?

From what I have heard, it seems like a good thing the monkey house will be demolished... Hopefully the residents will finally have outdoor enclosures.

I don't know why Antwerp bothers with elephants still, the paddock is tiny and adding a chain to an elephant is only going to bring negative attention. I think it would be sensible for them to go out of them sooner rather than later but I don't know how feasible it is logistically.

Dassie rat and StoppableSan like this.
  9. Perseus6

Well they need to add the chain because they're training him for transport. And their is a surplus of males so them existing is necessary at this point. Also the outdoor paddock is being expended to 2 times the square footage. So it's more a necessity.
    The mandrill mix will probably not happen btw.

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Some pictures I took of the elephant expansion - I do think the zoo should take a "timeshare" approach to maximize the space for the rhinos, zebras, giraffes and elephants, in the sense that each species gets to stay in one paddock at different intervals throughout the day. Maybe the elephants get to stay in the savanna for a few hours while the rhinos and zebras get the elephant paddock, etc.

20230325_135720.jpg 20230325_135727.jpg 20230325_135807.jpg 20230325_140018.jpg 20230325_140023.jpg 20230325_140556.jpg 20230325_140607.jpg 20230325_140614.jpg

11. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I agree. I remember when many visitors complained about London Zoo not having elephants. Most understood when I mentioned that elephants had a much better enclosure at Whipsnade. It does not look good to keep chained elephants in a small paddock. There are Asian elephants at Planckendael.

12. KevinB

The thing that has always bothered me most about the elephant holding at Antwerp is that the indoor facilities are so small and limited - and unlike the outdoor paddock, there isn't a realistic option to expand those facilities.

And while I certainly agree that bull elephant facilities are needed, I do not think Antwerp is the place for this at all, and I'm not a big fan of them trying to continue their elephant holding as long as possible.

I really would prefer to see the elephant area transformed into part of the savanna or into a North African desert exhibit.

PossumRoach likes this.
  13. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are the elephants getting the former giraffe paddock added to their area?

14. KevinB

No, the giraffes still have their paddock. The area being added used to be a garden/landscaping area with a lawn and some shrubs.

I made a quick drawing on a screenshot from Google Maps - green is roughly the area of the existing elephant paddock (mostly below old London planes), purple is the area that is being added, and orange is the giraffe paddock.

Attached Files:

15. SerriGaming

SerriGaming Member

They fenced the giraffe paddock off to use the space for moving equipment. Since there's road access behind the savannah area, my guess is they're using the savannah area to move in diggers and other equipment to work on the elephant expansion.

In other news, I also saw a warthog running around in the outside enclosure of the pig house facing towards the savannah area. Anyone have an idea how long it's been there?

StoppableSan likes this.
  16. Perseus6

I do want to point out Assam is only wearing a chain around his foot to train for transport as all elephants do. No Elephants are ever chained at Antwerp zoo. Chaining elephants during transport is important for their safety.
    They do fence it off for the works yes. No clue about the Warthog, unless its Visaya then it might be a surplus from Planckendael.

The new paddock will have separation options for the bulls. And Yes they can't change indoors that is true.

Dassie rat likes this.
  17. SerriGaming

SerriGaming Member

[​IMG]
    It was raining like hell and it was constantly running back and forth so this is the best picture I was able to take.

18. Valvas

Valvas Active Member 5+ year member

That warthog must have very recently arrived, as nothing has been announced about it yet. It is known however that they were planning to add an African pig species to the pig house again to cohabit with the giraffes and other species on the savannah exhibit.
    That is correct. I believe they hung out some signing explaing that the chains are purely for transport purposes, but the sign probably wasn't visible at the moment due to the construction.

19. KevinB

Okapi Kisala has been transferred from Rotterdam to Antwerp.

ZOO Antwerpen

20. KevinB

Kalaw, Therabu, Antoine and 3 others like this.