Join our zoo community

Zoo Brno ZOO Brno

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by Woxys, 21 Mar 2009.

Tags:
  1. Woxys

Woxys Member

Hello, everybody :)

I live quite close to ZOO Brno and I can visit it very often - I am also very intersted about this facility, so I can bring you many news about ZOO in my city.

The newest event is that city council od Brno agreed to provide money for complete reconstruction and building new and modern facility for chimpanzees, who live in terrible condition in very awfull pavilion for apes.

Few shots from ZOO Brno:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Woxys

Woxys Member

Female Canadian lynx arrived to ZOO Brno. She is from Texas and she will soon join male lynx in completely new, modern and natural exhibit, which can not be even compared to the previous one.

Male Canadian lynx from ZOO Brno

[​IMG]

3. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Great photos, Woxys! I have enjoyed the pictures you have uploaded in the gallery and also checked out the link you provided to all those wonderful wolf photos of yours at some other site.

You are a truly gifted photographer - don´t hesitate to show us more of your work!

4. Woxys

Woxys Member

thank you very much, you are nice :hug: if you want to, look at my privat gallery here - woxys's deviantART gallery :D it is full of photos from Czech zoos, expecialy from the Czech republic and from ZOO Brno.
    It is really my ,,home ZOO" and I am visiting it often. I hope you will not consider this link to be stupid advertisment - it IS really ZOO related!

I also plan to use my dA account to post very huge and detailed virtual tour which will show and describe the most interesting exhibits.
    I think I will post links to every new part here, because I do not want to upload photos two times...

Would it be a problem? Would you mind if I post links to my deviantart journals, where there will be PHOTOREPORT from ZOO Brno? I do not want any problems here :)

-----------------------------------

And I also do not want to be off-topic, so some new from ZOO Brno:

For many years, exhibit for small beasts (canines as a red fox and cats as Canadian lynx) were the shame of ZOO Brno. Last time I saw them, they were being destroyed. Great new exhibit called Beringia, home for Alaska brown bear, will be built instead of them!
    But also quite nice home for family of emus was destroyed for this porpose...

Old cage for Filipek the red fox
    [​IMG]

Current state
    [​IMG]

5. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Posting your links sounds like a good idea to me. I look forward to check out more of your work on the deviantART gallery, but you might also want to upload some of the very best pictures here att the ZooChat gallery?

6. Woxys

Woxys Member

Two baby Père David's Deers (Elaphurus davidianus, MILU) were born :aww:

Dan: ok, I will add some pictures to the gallery ;) and this one is for you :D

Sand cat from ZOO Brno
    [​IMG]

7. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Woxys, are both Ratufas still in Brno?

And what happened to Yacare-caimans, I saw none during my last visit there.

8. Woxys

Woxys Member

I saw one squirrel two months ago, since this time, I have not visit their exhibit :)

And Yacare-caimans? To be honest, I do not know many about them, but I think I saw them during my last visit in aqurium, which was month ago :)
    Unfortunately ZOO does not release many info, so I will be sure after readind annual report.

9. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

As far as I remember, there's only one Yacare caiman on display (next to the Rhinoceros Iguanas).

Both Giant Grizzled Squirrels were present at the zoo at my last visit early this year. In comparison to his sister, the male squirrel is a little sleepy head and thus not always visible. ;)

Leipzig Zoo is supposed to get at least another Giant Grizzled squirrel soon. Source-? CZ???

I'm glad that the Canadian lynx husbandry has improved; its former state was hardly bearable. Hope the subpar enclosures for the wolverine, birds of prey, owls and the Eurasian lynx will improve in the near future, too.

10. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My last visit was last year and at that time, the Yacare caiman pool was dry and inhabited by some iguanas. Happy to hear, at least the female caiman is still alive (the annual report said me, the male died 2007, I haven´t noticed it so far).

I can´t say any sure facts about Giant Grizzled squirrels for Leipzig, but I have a theory: Prague imported 1.1 last year from Colombo, but they´ve never been on display, and left the zoo prior the year-end. About the same time, ISIS showed that Ostrava went from 1.1 to 2.2 without breeding, I suppose they received the Prague´s pair. I personally think this pair waits there to go to Leipzig.

11. Woxys

Woxys Member

female wolverine comes from wild nature. The cage she inhabits now will become some aviary, while wolverines will be given new, modern and huge exhibit, part of Beringia, new enclosure for Alaska bears.

Then this female will be joined by male :)

Birds of prey are handicaped. They live in small cages - ZOO does not ,,keep" them, it only ,,house" them, as they would die in the wild.

Eurasian lynx is very old, I do not think new exhibit is planned for it...

12. Sun Wukong

@Woxys: I'm not buying that explaination for all of the zoo's birds of prey: the saker falcons, for example, bred just recently-and one can assume (and see) that the offspring is surely not "handicapped". Neither are several of the owls and the raven. Furthermore, I doubt that all in "Beringia" will be modern and huge, even if the plan might show otherwise; just look at the barren and overcrowded Polar fox exhibit...

@Jana: I also assume that the future pair(?) of Giant Squirrels for Leipzig are the former "Prague" (I think you mentioned that once in the past) and now Olomouc animals. Thanks for the ISIS update, though.

13. Woxys

Woxys Member

Project Beringia is quite NEW idea. You speak about exhibit for polar foxes, but it is NOT their NEW home! By the way, this is very nice home for FIVE polar foxes, they have great space and they are always active and curious. They seem happy.
    More over, they will be given two new exhibits, both will be part of that Beringia project, which is already being built :)

So if you critize home for polar foxes, you speak about exhibit, which is not their final home ;)

If ZOO Brno builds new exhibit, it is wonderful one, nice for animals. For example new exhibits for wolves, lynx, maras, meercats, cranes are simply wonderful.

Well, are you sure ZOO Brno still keep ,,babies" of birds kept in smaller cages? Do not they go to other ZOOs? Do not they go to the wild? I will aks the keepers. I do not think ZOO keeps them :)

14. Sun Wukong

I sure hope it's not the final exhibit of the foxes-as it is certainly not great. Hardly any visible retreat areas, rather small for the amounts of animals kept within and obviously barren-not to speak of the rather odd visitor viewpoint from above. A good Polar Fox exhibit should rather look like this
    http://www.zoochat.com/424/scandinavian-wildlife-park-polar-foxes-47449/

I would also calm down with the encomium; some of the newer exhibit at Brno are certainly an improvement in comparison to the former exhibits the animals were kept in. However, that doesn't mean that they are flawless - like the tiny indoor enclosures for the Sri Lankan Leopards...

Last but not least: Yes, I'm sure. I saw the saker offspring next to the parents in the very same enclosure. And I'm also sure that these animals will not be included in any re-introduction program.

15. Woxys

Woxys Member

16. Woxys

Woxys Member

17. Woxys

Woxys Member

18. docend24

docend24 Well-Known Member

19. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Recent births include:
    0:0:1 Sand Cat