Join our zoo community

Zoo de Granby Zoo de Granby news

Discussion in 'Canada' started by snowleopard, 10 May 2012.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Here's a good news story for you. After all the support the zoo has received from the community the zoo is paying it back. They have donated over $7000 worth of food intended for guests to two local community groups. Naturally they would have used what the animals could eat long ago. What they cannot eat why let it go to waste when you can help others. Good on the zoo.

Le Zoo de Granby redonne au suivant

2. TZFan

The zoo has reopened much as other zoos have by appointment. The water park and rides will stay closed for now.

Their new hippo exhibit will be ready the end of July featuring more space and different angles to view the hippos from.

They are also selling some nice animal themed face masks for those interested. Lion, tiger, hippo, red panda and mandrill are your choices. Their facebook shows gorilla and giraffe options but they arent on the website.

Boutique - Boutique du Zoo de Granby

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  3. TZFan

Japanese macaque, Madjae, gave birth to her first offspring at the end of May. It's the 6th birth in 5 years for the zoo's troop.

The water park has also reopened and will admit 30% of its normal capacity. Should really help draw people in though. Good way to beat the heat.

TinoPup and Jungle Man like this.
  4. TZFan

The zoo has welcomed its third Andean Condor chick. The female is being hand reared because her father has a history of attacking his chicks after a few days. They were able to save the oldest chick but the chick they had in 2019 was mortally wounded. The newest chick will be placed in an exhibit near her parents so she can identify with her species as soon as its possible.

Also joining the zoo was a male Japanese Serow calf born May 29th.

5. TZFan

A Goeldi's monkey infant was born July 30th.

6. Pier-Luc Chouinard

Pier-Luc Chouinard Active Member

Visited today and it was quite enjoyable even with the COVID restrictions. Granby is the first zoo I visited as a kid, back in the 80ties, and as most canadian zoos back them, I feel like it was... well from an other era. ;) I try to visit it every 3-4 years to see what it becomes.

First thing, I enjoyed my time there and most of the zoo was well-done, for guests and especially for the animals. I feel like the African and Asian sections are evolving in the right way. Most African exhibits are expanding and adding indoor sections where the animals can be seen all year long. The exhibits in the indoor pavillon need a make-over, maybe adding an outdoor exhibit for the mandrill in the process. Would be nice to have their Guereza and Patas monkeys somewhere in this part of the zoo.

Asia is very well-done in my opinion, with cold-resistant species and well-planted and themed exhibits. I can't wait to see what they are planing next.

Oceania is ok. I dont like the themed walkthough (not enough species and insensitive, tacky theme). The Lorikeet aviary is nice and the South Pacific Pavillon (reefs, aquariums) is good.

The South American seems a bit dull in comparison. It is stucked between the African section and the zoo's waterpark, so possible developments are difficult I guess. The indoor exhibits in the Pavillon were empty-ish compared to my last visit (more monkeys, reptiles, birds and amphibians) and the whole section seems in need of a make-over. The animals there were healthy and active though.

Petting zoo is a petting zoo. ;) Nice farm animals.

I wished Granby had more birds and terrariums/aquariums that showcase species highlighting their themed sections.

I posted photos in the Zoo de granby file but cant seem to post videos. :/ I do not usually post review, so Im not sure if this one is helpful. If you have any questions on specific sections or species, I can try to answer them.

Last edited: 25 Aug 2020
  7. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

8. Pier-Luc Chouinard

They have at least two of them. They are kept separated. One is in their usual habitat, the second now lives in the African section, in an older structure/cage that had Patas monkey before.

I couldn't find keeper close both exhibit, which is a shame since I was curious about them. I believe they are both older non-breeding individuals.

9. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

Interesting. I visited in '07 and figured it was a for sure phase out. Apparently not. Thanks

10. Pier-Luc Chouinard

They might be too old to be moved? That's my current hypothesis. ;)

11. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Apologies if this has already been reported but I came across a very interesting article in Spanish (oddly enough) about some interesting news - Zoo de Granby have imported a female Asiatic Black Bear from Belgium. Nice to see some commitment for this rarely kept species. Here is a rough translation:
    Full article: Osa del Himalaya es la nueva habitante del zoológico de Granby

The zoo's Facebook page also hints the female's arrival who will be paired with their 5-year-old resident male Phong:

Last edited: 22 Jan 2021
    StoppableSan likes this.
  12. TZFan

Two Bennett's wallabies have joey's in their pouches. Also a Goeldi's monkey was born Feb 18th.

13. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Two Amur leopard cubs have been born:

Two leopard cubs born at Granby Zoo

The dam, Hope, was born at Korkeasaari Zoo in 2015 to Zane and Toomas; and arrived at Granby Zoo in 2017.

14. TZFan

Oh I love reporters. That Amur leopard in the photo looks a heck of a lot like a cheetah... a species Granby doesn't even have. It's not even a good photo. Real miracle birth. Amur leopard cubs from a cheetah mother. Cutting edge work being done. Lol.

The actual news though is great. The birth of any Amur cubs is fantastic but given that Hope is an import makes the birth all the more exciting. Different genetics. I know the population we are pulling from is so very small the differences are probably tiny but every bit helps.

JurassicMax and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  15. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It looks like a screen shot of a video? The image doesn't seem to appear anywhere else on the internet, according to google. It looks quite old!

16. TZFan

@TinoPup I thought the exact same thing. I mean how hard would it be to get a photo of an Amur leopard from the zoo to use in your article with permission? An email or phone call to their media rep and an email later an image of an Amur leopard... probably even a shot of mom and the cubs from the maternity den. No instead we find the oldest "photo" we can of a feline that is yellow with spots or worse look in their video achieve and capture a photo from an old video. Sometimes I wonder how reporters get jobs.

Click the link today and its a photo of a clouded leopard from Denver Zoo. They actually identify its a clouded leopard. Seriously I know they are rare but they are not impossible to find a photo of!

TinoPup and JurassicMax like this.
  17. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

WanderingDragon likes this.
  18. TZFan

Lol, yes much! Love how you took it to the next level and found an article with an Amur leopard. If you check the article now they put the video of mom and cubs up top and a photo of a leopard below.

Kifaru Bwana and Zoofan15 like this.
  19. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When I checked late yesterday this was already up and corrected.

20. TZFan