Join our zoo community

Zoo Dynasties

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Ara, 21 May 2008.

1. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

It would seem that some of the world's major zoos have been controlled in years past by family "dynasties".

Probably the most famous were the Hagenbeck family in Germany, who, I believe, still run their zoo today.

Here in Australia we have had our own zoo dynasties. In the early part of the 20th century the Le Souef family had the zoo situation "sewn up", as it were. As most people are aware, Australia has just four large, mainstream zoos (at Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.) The Directors of 3 of those 4 zoos at that time were brothers; Dudley, Sherbourne and Albert Le Souef (directors of Melbourne, Sydney and Perth Zoos respectively.)

The only zoo that the family did not head was Adelaide, which had its own dynasty. Three generations of the Minchin family (father, son and grandson) were at the helm of Adelaide Zoo from 1883 to 1940.

Anyone got any others? There must have been some major zoo families in Europe.

2. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

The German Hecks (Ludwig & his son Lutz: each Director of Berlin Zoo; Heinz Heck, the 2nd son: Director of Munich Zoo; Lutz Heck jr.: Director of Osnabrück Zoo and afterwards Munich Zoo).

3. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Burgers' Zoo in Arnhem was first led by mister Burgers, then his daughter who married a mister Van Hooff, then his grandson Antoon van Hooff (a rather famous TV-celebrity, i would very modestly compare him to a dutch version of Sir David Attenborough) and now it's being led by his great grandson mister Alex Van Hooff (who is still very young, and always seems very energetic :)).

I think it's the only real family dynastie in the Netherlands.

4. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

watch this space ...... Australia Zoo with the Irwin family ?

5. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi Jwer,

I had no idea about the Le Souef family. How amazing it would have been to sit at there dinner table at xmas!

Stuart

6. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi again Jwer,

Have you been to Burgers Zoo?

I was there in April this year for the first time. It really is amazing.

7. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Well it has been three generations if you consider bindi as the owner, which the medi seems to. . . And alot of the staff at the top are Irwins or in laws

8. Marinelander

Marinelander Member

Not technically a zoo, but Marineland is owned by the Holer family and has been since its opening. Of course, the current head of the family isn't too great at his job apparently because he's captured quite a few belugas in recent times and a few dolphins too, all from Russia. Apparently when his son takes the reins things will start happening.